Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks guys - it all makes sense.

I was considering taking Yogi (my WG showline longhair) to the local working trials club to see whether we got on with the training and to get an idea whether I enjoy training it - before making my mind up about whether to continue it with the workline dog when he comes along.

However, after reading your comments, I wonder if I should stick to tracking and scent working and bits of obedience with him as, even though he is quite athletic, he obviously hasn't been specifically bred for sport and may therefore sustain injury more easily? (If I am reading this all correctly).
Good grief no, there are lots of dogs that have not specifically been bred for particular sports, does not mean they are incapable etc.

Conformation you can do nothing about, but you ARE in control of food, exercise and fitness training.

The same is true of dogs bred for a purpose, they may still have a conformation fault that prevents them from doing x, y or z or the mental attitude for it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Good grief no, there are lots of dogs that have not specifically been bred for particular sports, does not mean they are incapable etc.

Conformation you can do nothing about, but you ARE in control of food, exercise and fitness training.

The same is true of dogs bred for a purpose, they may still have a conformation fault that prevents them from doing x, y or z or the mental attitude for it.

Ahh thanks SB for the clarification I think I have brain mush today - have had a very stressful day Anyhow, thanks again.

I am confident my dog is fit, gets the right amount of exercise and I am reasonably happy with his food ... although do wonder if it has anything to do with his itchiness ... but that is for another thread
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2011, 09:15 PM
It is more about correct training and right from the start expecting a dog to scale up and down rather than do the kamikaze jump.

Long jump is probably more of an issue according to most vets (some of whom compete in WT) I speak to.

All the dogs I know that have injuries have sustained them outside the WT arena.

There are very small dogs doing the scale including a cocker spaniel.

As always it is not necessarily about the size of the jump for the dog but the amount of jump in the dog!
I absolutely agree it is about training the dog to SCALE the jump not leap off from the top of it which doesn't do their shoulders any good.

My GSD was injured on the scale many years ago - he did scale it properly but on the way back lost his footing on the board and fell badly. Wasn't anyone's fault just an unfortunate accident and certainly didn't put me off trials. He didn't compete again but continued to age 10 tracking and doing search squares (Golden Oldies!) with the help of regular hydrotherapy.

I worked a Cocker in W.T. in the 90's and she scaled well.

I'm training a Springer now so we'll see how that goes
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Yep, Lady is a Lab X that I picked up as pup from Dogs Trust. I have no idea what the breeding lines are. All I know is the litter was dumped at a roadside, that she has a good nose and is agile, but she is well exercised.

Lots of rescues and cross breeds in trials I notice.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know of a working trials or shutzhund club anywhere near Chorley, Lancashire?
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I have only dabbled in WT and now do Schutzhund. I prefer the WT tracking and I like the search square, but I prefer Sch because I really enjoy the protection phase. I think it gives us so much more control in life generally and I just love watching Kofi work. I would really miss the bitework if I moved to WT.

Anyway.....you have to do Sch because then you would be at the same club as me and I would get to squish your poopie every week!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Why would you miss the bitework if you want to WT?

We have bitework in the PD stake!

Of course you need to have qualified CDex UDex WDex before you can compete in it!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by CharleyMaddison View Post
Does anyone know of a working trials or shutzhund club anywhere near Chorley, Lancashire?
http://vpg-uk.tripod.com/

North West Working Trials Society is based in Cheshire.

Cath Phillips takes WT classes/1:1 in Rochdale.

http://www.ontrackdogtraining.co.uk/

I can personally vouch for Cath.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Why would you miss the bitework if you want to WT?

We have bitework in the PD stake!

Of course you need to have qualified CDex UDex WDex before you can compete in it!
I know thats the problem! My friend does PD, but I think (am guessing) that because there aren't so may doing it he hardly ever gets to do bitework, as no one else at the club does it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
I have only dabbled in WT and now do Schutzhund. I prefer the WT tracking and I like the search square, but I prefer Sch because I really enjoy the protection phase. I think it gives us so much more control in life generally and I just love watching Kofi work. I would really miss the bitework if I moved to WT.

Anyway.....you have to do Sch because then you would be at the same club as me and I would get to squish your poopie every week!!
Well that would be one big plus
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3