Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
However, no one had been told that the sheepdog will always bring the flock to the handler and so they all got in a bit of a mess - although the first couple did pretty well, considering.
It looked good Kirsty and I'm sorry I missed it. But just two more weeks of the puppy foundation course and we can move into the competition obedience class on Wednesday. And I will be able to watch the remaining episodes

If the dog always brings the sheep to the handler how does the shepherd get the dog to drive the sheep round him and away on 'One man and his dog'?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
It looked good Kirsty and I'm sorry I missed it. But just two more weeks of the puppy foundation course and we can move into the competition obedience class on Wednesday. And I will be able to watch the remaining episodes

If the dog always brings the sheep to the handler how does the shepherd get the dog to drive the sheep round him and away on 'One man and his dog'?
I bet you can't wait to get into the comp obedience class

If a dog is given no commands then a trained dog will bring the sheep to the shepherd.

However, experienced dogs are also trained to drive sheep away etc. The problem with the programme was that the dog was in control, as the contestants didn't have a clue what they were doing (understandably) and weren't giving the dog the correct commands, and so the default position (if you will) is to bring the sheep to the "shepherd".
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I quite enjoyed this week's episode, but probably because it was about sheep and dogs I totally agree with you though Irena. The couples were all given a very short lesson with a sheepdog handler, and then expected to send the dog (who didn't know them) out to gather a flock, bring them down the field and into a pen, then one of the couple had to shear a sheep.

However, no one had been told that the sheepdog will always bring the flock to the handler and so they all got in a bit of a mess - although the first couple did pretty well, considering.
I watched it this week, first time I had seen it..Had not even heard of it It was a shame that everything went wrong with the couple that left mind, they seemed nice. Loved watching the dog work the sheep..with the right handlers I could watch it all say!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2