Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I do not know the ins and outs but I am suspecting that they never should of been brought over to the UK. It is not the Minks fault. As you have said Dawn, human intervention is to blame
As far as I know mink were brought over for the fur trade, like Chinchillas too, and there was farms set up for this practice (which I don't agree with, never have never will) however some people decided to do good by releasing the Mink, which created huge problems for certain British wildlife, and it still is as the mink are still here not the minks fault, but now we need to do something to reduce numbers and help the british wildlife that should be here IMO.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I do not know the ins and outs but I am suspecting that they never should of been brought over to the UK. It is not the Minks fault. As you have said Dawn, human intervention is to blame
Human intervention is to blame for them being in our countryside, idiots who claim to be "liberating" these animals succeed in only sealing their fate and in most instances, a fate far worse than would have been.

Regardless of who's "fault" it is, is the animal that has to be controlled, while the silly beggars who effectively "killed" them sit at home and think how good they were doing it in the first place. Ive seen Mink with kittens in their mouths.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Human intervention is to blame for them being in our countryside, idiots who claim to be "liberating" these animals succeed in only sealing their fate and in most instances, a fate far worse than would have been.

Regardless of who's "fault" it is, is the animal that has to be controlled, while the silly beggars who effectively "killed" them sit at home and think how good they were doing it in the first place. Ive seen Mink with kittens in their mouths.
I am not disputing that there is no place for them in our countryside.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
As far as I know mink were brought over for the fur trade, like Chinchillas too, and there was farms set up for this practice (which I don't agree with, never have never will) however some people decided to do good by releasing the Mink, which created huge problems for certain British wildlife, and it still is as the mink are still here not the minks fault, but now we need to do something to reduce numbers and help the british wildlife that should be here IMO.
Thanks for the info. I too am against the 'fur' trade
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 05:07 PM
But not in our countryside, they are AMERICAN and NOT native. They have near destroyed our Water Vole population, left them near to extinction in places.

This is what happens when "do-gooders" release captive animals into the wild, they destroy them in effect. Likewise the wild Boar we are now culling.
Yep stupied people again!!
welshgit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2010, 06:01 PM
thanks for the replies folks, I do not get off on posting pics of "kills", far from it, but to be honest these creatures need controlling and the more "Lil" sorts the better in my opinion, the same goes for tree rats and rabbits
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
But not in our countryside, they are AMERICAN and NOT native. They have near destroyed our Water Vole population, left them near to extinction in places.

This is what happens when "do-gooders" release captive animals into the wild, they destroy them in effect. Likewise the wild Boar we are now culling.
I'm with you all the way on the mink BD. But wild boar? They are native to this country.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I'm with you all the way on the mink BD. But wild boar? They are native to this country.
But not for so very long. They are "wild" again due to activists releasing them, and like Mink, its sealed their fate as some places are now allowing culling. When culling is allowed, you will always get those who "enjoy" using dogs etc to catch them, illegal but some get off on it.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Great pics, clever dog, cant wait till my terriers are old enough to hunt mink, we are overrun with them, they decimate the wild life as well as poultry, Ive been lucky so far as they havent yet travelled up from the stream but its only a matter of time. I think here in Ireland, it was the actual mink farmers that released them when the bottom fell out of the fur trade.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Clever girl! Well done..... she must have been motoring to catch the mink - brilliant!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >