Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Beagle Racing

Our Beagle is involved in lots of activities, but the one that I think is most fun is Beagle Racing. We belong to the 'Beagle Division' of a Pedigree Whippet Racing club. As far as I know, ours is the only Beagle racing club in the country - in the world for that matter.

Anyway, it's such fun I thought I'd post up this little montage of last years piccies and videos. Our particular club is the Caledonean Thistle Pedigree Whippet Racing club that meets on Sundays at Kincardine Bridge in Fife (PM me if you want contact details for the club officials). But perhaps other whippet racing clubs would allow Beagles to race with them? Now that would make things more interesting!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27172079@N08/3296504501/

(Best viewed with sound on).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Enjoyed that lovey!

What distace is the course and what times do they run?
CavalierCrazy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Awwww looks like they are all having so much fun i love beagles
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 07:59 PM
The distance varies between 100 yards and 150 yards. We have all sorts of different types of race (weight handicaps, fastest dogs handicapped etc) throughout the season and pretty much everyone wins something.

I don't remember their times (although we have timed them) but I can tell you that we had the fastest beagles race a whippet. The beagles started 50 yards down a 100 yard track race. Both beagles and whippets started at the same time. We'd hardly let go of the beagles' collars when the whippets overtook
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks, I was wondering how their times compared to the terriers at the racing i go to.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I'll see if my husband can remember.

The only other beagle racing event I have heard of was organised by the master of a pack of working hounds. It was a one off fun day. The Beagles were all put into a sheep trailer and the huntsman ran down the track (which was littered with obstacles such as bales of hay) blowing his horn. The beagles were released from the trailer and stampeded towards the huntsman. All went well.

Then they decided to try the same thing with the terriers. The trailer door was opened but none of the dogs came out......they were all inside fighting
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I'll see if my husband can remember.

The only other beagle racing event I have heard of was organised by the master of a pack of working hounds. It was a one off fun day. The Beagles were all put into a sheep trailer and the huntsman ran down the track (which was littered with obstacles such as bales of hay) blowing his horn. The beagles were released from the trailer and stampeded towards the huntsman. All went well.

Then they decided to try the same thing with the terriers. The trailer door was opened but none of the dogs came out......they were all inside fighting
Well beagles live in packs, terriers dont, it was silly to bung them all in together. They wouldnt chase a person or a horn either!
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 08:20 PM
We occasionally have some terriers gatecrashing our racing. All friendly dogs are allowed to take part in the Beagle fun run (a free for all). I think that's a Jack Russel and a Tibetan terrier.

hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Loved that video! all thos flying ears! Great fun!
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 09:04 PM
wow! i never knew there was such a thing! do you know if theres any beagle racing in wales or cheshire?

id love to take my two beagle they would love it!!

great video too by the way x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >