Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poopie
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2006, 12:47 PM

Sled dogs

Hi

We have 3 dogs 2 which are still babies.

My husband and I would very much like to train to be sled dogs as a fun sport activity but only if they enjoy it.

I realise here in the UK snow is very unpredictable, but I have seen a few people with 3 wheeled carts? ( sorry don't know what they are called!)

Just wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to get more info on this, also do they have to be huskys to do this sport?

Thanks
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2006, 12:54 PM
What breed are they, sledding is normally confined to sled dogs.
poopie
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2006, 12:58 PM
I have one GSD x Rotti a very strong and energetic boy and the other 2 are still babies, they are Utonagans.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Not sure any would be considered suitable for work as pack animals, there are clubs that train and help with sledding so perhaps you should ask them. Mel may be able to help you.

Most sledding activity is confined to the nordic breeds and those from North America
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2006, 01:53 PM
We use what are called 3 wheeled rigs, obviously due to lack of snow lol I got mine from Steeldog, if you are just doing it for exercise, then really any breed (so long as the dog is fit, and that you build up slowly with them) if you want to train for competition to enter rallies then they are predominantly set up by the Siberian Husky club of GB and Alaskan Malamute working Ass. and they will only allow those breeds to enter, but ABSA if I remember correctly allow hounds etc. you ned to make sure that you use the right equipment, that the harnesses fit correctly, and that the gangline has a strong bungy in it this takes the strain out and prevents jerking on the dogs body, you can get the lines etc from Culpeppers and Phil who owns the business will probably help explain what is required for the safety of your dogs, one thing I would say, never run the dogs in this heat we are having, train them very early or later in the day when it has cooled down considerably, and dont do it when there is hight humidity, many of the husky owners rest the dogs through summer, and start training in the winter months.
hopefully this is a picture taken recently of two of mine working.

Mo
poopie
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Thank you for that

Wow mo, that looks like great fun.

Yes I would really only do for a fun thing, but would need some professional advice on how to fit the harnesses and go about training them to run together and pull the rig.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by poopie
Yes I would really only do for a fun thing, but would need some professional advice on how to fit the harnesses and go about training them to run together and pull the rig.
You will be able to do it for fun but there are very few organisations that would let you compete as they are not Sled Dog breeds. As far as I am aware the SDAS and ABSA are the only two that will allow non purebred sled dogs to compete and they would need to assess each dogs suitability individually.

If you speak to any harness manufacturer then they will help you with fitting instructions and most people will be willing to share their experiences of how they train etc

HTH
Cossack
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2006, 07:14 AM
I know people who use other breeds with the rigs just for fun. You need to be aware of the individual dogs limits and try not to over train them. The best way to get help and support is to contact the Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain to see who they have in your area and see if you can go along to watch how they do things, get suggestions on how to start, etc. Most members are very helpful and only too willing to give support to other dog members. Many members actually do exercise their other non sled dogs in this way too.
Good luck and have fun.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Can I just ask if there are laws dictating where you can use a rig (for fun, not in competition)? Are there only designated places or is it down to the discretion of the local county council?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Mostly you have to get training permits..

It may be more beneficial to your dogs to get them harnesses and train them on scooters rather than a rig.. as you can go anywhere(within reason) on a scooter without a permit..

www.culpeppers.com can sort you out with harnesses..

Please don't have your puppies pulling anything heavy!!>.

Most mals are trained in commands from small pups, then you can get them used to harness from about 6 months.. then work up to dragging twigs to heavier twigs to a small bike tyre etc..

They should not be pulling a rig until they are at least 1 year old.. same with a scooter..
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »