Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Yeah, I would include Sledding. That is what you meant isn't it?
Think she was replying to this? I hope anyway!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Think she was replying to this? I hope anyway!
..sorry it is 90degrees here and sleding slipped my mind
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:45 PM
That sounds like a good start, but rabbiting and ratting would have to go cos it involves the "killing of other animals"!
Not going to be a fair start then is it! nice idea Mini, but biased opinions have struck already.
Dawn.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Rips...sorry just had to laugh while I was wondering what breed was bred for prancing...lol...

On a serious note, I am always in two minds about 'hunting' etc...BUT I think it would be fine to have a sub catergory from the main section of working dogs...People can the either choose to look or not.

I think that in some cases it may actually help to dispell some negative points of view on such things if written and explained well...It may show people that it isn't all blood thirsty and horrible?...I hate fox hunting etc as I think it's a pompus load of old (?) how many people on horse back and dogs does it take to get one fox??...

But other aspects what is being discussed here may well be interesting to learn more about. So long as it is in a section where people can easily avoid reading if it offends them

I think it would help if the topics were talked about with retrospect if you know what I mean...Discuss these jobs that the different breeds of dog were bred for and how it was all done maybe instead of the hear and now, just taking into consideration about what Emms said about times changing...

Heck I am probably out of my depth here as I am not qualified to really speak on such matters as say Dawn is, forgive me if I sound ignorant guys, sorry
This is an excellent post and really says a lot of what I wish I was capable of

It seems that the actuall kill is what upsets ppl. I have in the past stated why I think that is ridicolous knowing what conventionel farming is all about, but might be another debate.

Many exercises used in OB are what we "hunt ppl" (still havent found the right word) do and needs to be good at.
Why not share information, experiences and methods on how to get there instead of focusing if your dog is to retrieve a bird or a dummy?

Many exercises used in agility is nessecary to master in what I do (turn, out, stop, etc). What not share this again?
Does it matter if you want you dog to find a phesant or to jump a jump?

And the list is really endless. It is the words and what ppl thinks instead of knowing going on that is upsetting. On both sides. It is frustrating and removes focus to why such section would be great.

I will be making that post about verios hunts and what it is we really do, but as I said, I need time and my dictionary to get it right. Please bare with me.
It has been a few years since I left school and the words I´m looking for wasnt been taught to me back then (guess my teacher was not a hunter)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Not going to be a fair start then is it! nice idea Mini, but biased opinions have struck already.
Dawn.
But that bit would go in the hunting section if and when it's done!!!!!!! I'm not biased I'm just pointing out the rules of the working section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't make the rules, i just follow them?????????
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:52 PM
OK, taking foot from mouth..................................... but working is hunting, and also sheep herding, shy should it be elsewhere?
Dawn.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Farming goes on and I don't necessarily like a lot of farming methods and I don't necessarily want to read about it when I log on to Dogweb.

We have shooting over the fields behind us periodically, and I hate the sound of it. I hate thought of pheasants being bred and then shot and I hate finding the carcasses left behind.

Nobody is discriminating against the people on here who want to hunt, but do we have to read about it? At the end of the day, you can dress it up any way you want to but animals, birds end up dead, whether by gun, dog or whatever. It upsets people.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Farming goes on and I don't necessarily like a lot of farming methods and I don't necessarily want to read about it when I log on to Dogweb.

We have shooting over the fields behind us periodically, and I hate the sound of it. I hate thought of pheasants being bred and then shot and I hate finding the carcasses left behind.

Nobody is discriminating against the people on here who want to hunt, but do we have to read about it? At the end of the day, you can dress it up any way you want to but animals, birds end up dead, whether by gun, dog or whatever. It upsets people.
Is this for me?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Because that's what's been decided and no amount of debating is gonna change that. Hunting is an emotive subject, not everyone agrees with it. Sheep herding and retrieving etc are not. That's the basic reason.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:57 PM
I've tried to stay out of this as I have no interest in hunting, and while I wouldn't object in any way to a hunting section, it wasn't my motivation for requesting a working section.

My only suggestion for those who wanting hunting represented is to provide Azz with the kind of things that are likely to be discussed. Maybe it would also make a difference if the hunting section had a no photos rule, or rather, a rule against photos of 'the kill'? I just wonder if people would object to seeing what happens, but wouldn't mind reading about it? Just a suggestion.

Becs
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >