08-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Would be very grateful Tassle.

Adam
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh looks great!! What a good girl
It is something I would love to try with Mia one day (once she has matured a bit) I know she has a great instinct with sheep because of a mistake when I first got her and she rounded up about 200 sheep!!!
Looks like such and amazing thing to!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Roy's website is here & he's also involved in running a training week up at Derek Scrimgeour's place in July
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Great photos Tassle, and I am so pleased you both enjoyed it There is nothing like training a dog to do what it was bred for.

From a personal point of view, I would like to see Siren's tail tucked under her a bit more, but that could well come when she starts really focusing on her sheep.

I have never met Roy Goutte but have heard decent things about him so I am sure you will soon be well on the way to becoming a competent sheepdog handler The biggest hurdle I found when I first started was that I wasn't experienced in reading sheep (which is as important as being able to work the dog) but that came with spending lots of time around them.

Best of luck with your training and I would love to hear how you are getting on.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Great photos Tassle, and I am so pleased you both enjoyed it There is nothing like training a dog to do what it was bred for.

From a personal point of view, I would like to see Siren's tail tucked under her a bit more, but that could well come when she starts really focusing on her sheep.

I have never met Roy Goutte but have heard decent things about him so I am sure you will soon be well on the way to becoming a competent sheepdog handler The biggest hurdle I found when I first started was that I wasn't experienced in reading sheep (which is as important as being able to work the dog) but that came with spending lots of time around them.

Best of luck with your training and I would love to hear how you are getting on.
Yes - I had NO idea what to do and poor Siren - she kept bringing them to me! It really must have been very funny to watch, the poor sheep and poor Siren.

As I said - mainly involved in training me not the dog!!

With regards to her Tail...It will probably be hard for her - in everything else she has trained for I have encouraged her to be very 'up'.....as she starts to gain a bit more confidence and experience I expect she will start to settle.

He did say that he felt she had a good patrolling trot??? apparently once they had settled and grouped around him she was just meant to do a steady trot round to keep them in position? (which she did)
I have lots to learn!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh looks great!! What a good girl
It is something I would love to try with Mia one day (once she has matured a bit) I know she has a great instinct with sheep because of a mistake when I first got her and she rounded up about 200 sheep!!!
Looks like such and amazing thing to!
You should....It was fab. But I think Siren has really benefited from lost of basic obedience and a bit of maturity!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
You should....It was fab. But I think Siren has really benefited from lost of basic obedience and a bit of maturity!
Totaly!!! She is just to indipendent right now
My agility instructor is still amazed how quick her focus turns off - she is working working working - gone - no warning
So until she can focus on one thing and repond always! I wouldnt try anything like that - from your fotos I would say she would gather those sheep, do great for a little while then decide the sheep in the background needed bringing in too
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Totaly!!! She is just to indipendent right now
My agility instructor is still amazed how quick her focus turns off - she is working working working - gone - no warning
So until she can focus on one thing and repond always! I wouldnt try anything like that - from your fotos I would say she would gather those sheep, do great for a little while then decide the sheep in the background needed bringing in too
We had a long line to hand - and she was started outside the pen with Roy and Myself inside - once she started circling he brought her straight in as she was working so far off the pen that he said there was little to no danger of her gripping the sheep (She didn;t though )

However - as it turned out she did not need a line at all - she stayed very focused - until some sheep muck caught her eye!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:23 AM
brill pics!

Roy is is user on here now, joined a few weeks ago, under "Bordertorm"

When i had a go with Nellie one time, she kept trying to bring the sheep to me too. They are BIG sheep!!!! Scary!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yes - I had NO idea what to do and poor Siren - she kept bringing them to me! It really must have been very funny to watch, the poor sheep and poor Siren.

As I said - mainly involved in training me not the dog!!

With regards to her Tail...It will probably be hard for her - in everything else she has trained for I have encouraged her to be very 'up'.....as she starts to gain a bit more confidence and experience I expect she will start to settle.

He did say that he felt she had a good patrolling trot??? apparently once they had settled and grouped around him she was just meant to do a steady trot round to keep them in position? (which she did)
I have lots to learn!!
I meant to also say that if you keep forgetting your left and right, just think "come bye" (clockwise) and "away" (anticlockwise) - that helped me when I first started.

Not heard the term patrolling trot before. Did he happen to mention whether Siren had good natural balance? Hubby reckons that is probably the most important thing in a young dog.

You will have to get some video next time you go
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >