View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Collars and leads-what do you use and why?

im looking for a new collar and lead for daphni, as hers is getting a bit tight, so i fancy a change. (any excuse to spend money on them ) asbo will get a new collar and lead for his first birthday (that's tradition )

at the minute daphni has a leather one with the holes in that you put the metal bit in. its red, and has diamonds on the collar and a little strip of diamonds on the lead.
asbo has a clip collar, which is baby blue and has white bones on. his is fabric.

i like my matching sets, so matching is a must

but im honestly stuck on where to look for them, and what types to get. i dont want to spend through the roof. im unsure of whether i want leather for the both of them or fabric. which ones last longer? or which do you prefer? i really cant make up my mind with whether to go for clips or hole ones, maybe even half check... i want them to look nice though... and they have to match

so guys... help!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:03 AM
One of mine has a rubber collar (as she likes rolling in disgusting things) it does not smell, can be rinsed under the tap, does not hold parasites etc. Dublin Collars.

The other one wears a plain flat leather collar.

Very boring I am afraid.

I use the "sticky" leads as a good grip is assured even when wet, hands or gloves, no loops in the end, light so I can roll them up and put them in my pocket.

My mantra is "less is more"
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:22 AM
I used a Halti doubled ended lead because it's so versatile and practical. I have a fabric Rogz collar because it has a metal ring which takes the strain off of thr plastic clip (was essential with such a hyper, giant, pully puppy. He's not so bad now). So sorry, can't really help. Mine have to be picked for practicality rather than aestetics
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Dexter wears a blue collar from Orvis, with my mobile number embroidered on it in yellow - I always worry slightly in case he either destroys the ID tag (has happened once) or it gets caught on something and comes off.

I also have a part check collar for when we are practising heel walking and I pair this with a black leather lead - think it is from Ferplast.

The rest of the time he is walked on a GenCon All In One.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Boring here too...Mine all have fabric collars/harnesses (chuck in washing machine weekly) Kerrie is the only one who has matching lead and collar!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:48 AM
I use martingales usually with matching leads, i have several places i get them from and i have a friend who makes them and she donates all the proceeds to sighthound rescues. They are beautifully made, i have several, in fact my dogs have a collar wardrobe with various leads to match and velvet ones too !

http://www.cherryhoggcollars.co.uk
http://www.cascollars.com
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:50 AM
I use a Lupine combo collars which is a martingale type as he worked out quickly that he could pull his head out of his collar I liked them because they had different designs and are strong which i need and he also has the matching lead
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:53 AM
its so hard to find some i like, i like leather ones, but they are quite expensive... they dont have their collars on in the house, i just like them to look nice when out
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I use a website called "Hide and Collars" They are hand made to order and very good quality. I have a padded webbing one that is very good quality to from Hurrta off a web site called muddy paws.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I make my own collars from beta (lightweight, waterproof, supple synthetic material)
Cooper has a black one with hi viz yellow lining and his ID tag integrated at the back.
Harry has a brown one with black lining and a rivet design.
(they both match their harnesses)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >