Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2005, 09:23 AM

chunky has stopped eating

since my girl has come in to season my dog has stopped eating , he just paces about panting and protecting her have tried putting all sorts of nice things down to eat but hes not bothered.. venus is on her 11th day he started not eating about 3 days ago... will this stop soon i dont want him loosing to much weight..antbody any ideas of what might tempt him apart from my girl which is really tempting him lol
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2005, 10:10 AM
It is not at all uncommon for intact males to refuse food when in proximity to an in-season bitch who is ripe for mating. He will be distressed and is likely to drop a lot of weight. While mating is on his mind no food is likely to tempt him. The imperative to reproduce and pass on his genes is greater than the imperative to survive. Can you not board him out until the season is finished? That would be by far the kindest thing to do.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Agree with S/B, it`ll not get any better till she`s out the way or out of season. Try & move one or other till its over.
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2005, 10:39 AM
no where to move them to will just need to try and tempt him with something nice never mind not long till she is out of season , just phoned vet and he said i can add supplements to his water as he is drinking lots will try that
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Do you intend to get one or both of them neutered, or to make arrangements to board him when the bitch is next in season, so that he does not have to go through this distress again?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-07-2005, 12:11 PM
i am still waiting for holly to come in but if tob gets stressed there is always mum round the corner....lol
i don't want to but if it is needed then i will for his sake just means i go round there to take him out or a very nice kennel for a holiday for toby if i can get him in at short notice.
he can have fun mixing with the others while there.

i have no advice as i haven't got there yet and our boxer's in the past it never bothered him at all.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Have just had the same happen with my dog Alfie. As soon as i seperated him from Holly he stopped eating couldn,t tempt him to eat anything. If you are not intending to breed it would be far kinder to have him neutered as you will have the same thing happen every time your bitch comes in season.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 08:08 PM
my friend dog looses weight when her bitch is in season she too was worried about this ...she gives her boy rescue remedy and this seems to calm him a little
worth a try ?
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2005, 10:47 AM
thanks for all your replys i will try some rescue remedy to calm him down im cooking some pork at the moment as he always likes that
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-07-2005, 10:52 AM
I see you have white Boxers. As there is no way you would even consider breeding why not neuter?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >