View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 04:16 PM

Do you have Working dogs *(contains pics of dogs at work)

Does anyone on Dogsey own a working breed, that they actually use as a working dog?

Can I just ask if you originally got your dog for working purposes?

What breed do you have as a worker?

Will you ever retire your working dog?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Well I have a border collie who is in training to herd. I didn't originally get him with this purpose in mind, and he is actually my pet first and foremost.

My OH is a shepherd though and so I am hoping that when Moss (and I) are competent enough we will be able to go out and help on the farm I also want to run him in sheepdog trials.

As far as retirement goes, he is only 22 months old at the moment and so I hope he will be able to work sheep and go to trials for a good few years yet
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks Moobli, I just asked in a photos thread if you work your Border Collie. He is absolutly stunning, and in the photo of him behind the sheep, he appears to enjoy what he is doing!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 05:49 PM
My three of my GSDs & two of my BC's were trained search & rescue dogs & yes were they retired when they were older & doing the work was a physical problem to them, having said that my first BC was working sheep & doing search & rescue into her teens
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My three of my GSDs & two of my BC's were trained search & rescue dogs & yes were they retired when they were older & doing the work was a physical problem to them, having said that my first BC was working sheep & doing search & rescue into her teens
How old were they when they retired?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I own an English Springer, Ralph, who i'm training to do a bit of gundog work..not for trialling or anything, for my own personal shooting use (well not mine personally as i don't shoot..but for taking him shooting etc.). This was an attraction when getting a Springer yes.
I also own Florrie, terrier x, who has done a bit of light ratting and rabbiting..to be honest she never showed all that much interst in doing so..far too soppy!
I come from a very hunting/shooting type family..been around working terrier, lurchers, n gundogs all of my life and so forth..i can think most of the relatives working dogs have never fully retired as it were, moreso just lessened the work they actually do until the day when they 'chose', as it were, they didn't want too do it anymore, or when they begin to show their age and may start to 'slip up' when working and not be as 'on the ball' etc.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
Does anyone on Dogsey own a working breed, that they actually use as a working dog?

Can I just ask if you originally got your dog for working purposes?

What breed do you have as a worker?

Will you ever retire your working dog?
Mine are Border Terriers, yes they are working Terriers. I use them above and below ground, for vermin control, Rats, Foxes, Squirrels, odd Rabbit. I also use one dog as a retriever of game, fur and feather.

I get all my dogs as pets first and foremost, I show and race them too aswell as work them. Retirement for a dog is a funny thing, my 12yr old would of still done a days work, but you have to draw the line somewhere, I would gauge each dog differently depending on what work they do, and any injuries sustained etc.

I only term "work" as the jobs these dogs were bred to do, I term agility, obedience etc as a dog "sport"

Moobli, great news about your Collie, those pics you posted show he's getting on a treat, well done. :smt023
Dawn.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks Moobli, I just asked in a photos thread if you work your Border Collie. He is absolutly stunning, and in the photo of him behind the sheep, he appears to enjoy what he is doing!
He loves nothing better to be honest. I can walk him for miles and miles and he still comes home wanting to play ball or goof around, but 30 minutes sheep work has him absolutely knackered

Here are a few more pics :-

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Mine are Border Terriers, yes they are working Terriers. I use them above and below ground, for vermin control, Rats, Foxes, Squirrels, odd Rabbit. I also use one dog as a retriever of game, fur and feather.

I get all my dogs as pets first and foremost, I show and race them too aswell as work them. Retirement for a dog is a funny thing, my 12yr old would of still done a days work, but you have to draw the line somewhere, I would gauge each dog differently depending on what work they do, and any injuries sustained etc.

I only term "work" as the jobs these dogs were bred to do, I term agility, obedience etc as a dog "sport"

Moobli, great news about your Collie, those pics you posted show he's getting on a treat, well done. :smt023
Dawn.

Thanks Dawn - he is a little cracker Do you have any pics of your dogs working? I would love to see them.

As far as the term "work" goes, I couldn't agree more. I get plenty of people telling me they work their collies, but they actually mean obedience, agility, flyball etc. To my mind, that is sport not work.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:44 PM
How old were they when they retired?
Desmond(GSD) was 9. Elvis(GSD)(one I bred & took back so no laughing @ the name :smt002 )was 10, Shea(BC) was 14(back in the pre SARDA organisation days) & Glen(BC) was 10(he developed Lymphoma otherwise he wouldn't have retired)
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »