Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thebaron
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Homeopathic Remedies

Just Wondered If Anyone Has Used Homeopathic Remedies. I Was Talking To A Breeder With 40 Years Experience With Westies, Who Suggested I Tried This For My Westie With Lions Jaw. I Am Willing To Try Anything That Will Help Bobby. Thanks For All The Other Replies. Nice To Know That Other People Care. Jane
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I hope you are able to find something that works for your little fellow.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. They are inexpensive and have no side effects, and people have reported that they work well.

However, I have used several 'remedies' for several ailments on a dog in the past, and they did not work. That is only one dog though.

Personally, having read up on the 'science' behind them, I cannot comprehend how they can possibly be effective.

However, I guess if conventional medicine is not working, it does no harm to try.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I have used arnica pillules (from Boots) for Loki's bad shoulder and I certainly believe it IS effective. I would definitely recommend homeopathic treatments. They don't work on all dogs but it's worth a try. I would certainly rather he had arnica than long term Rimadyl...

I also used Bach flower remedy for myself when I was pregnant the second time, as I suffered from heart palpitations, and it did work. My sister in law uses Bach flower on her dog during firework season and she does calm down.
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I use it regularly for myself & my OH has a degree in complimentary medicine & has used it to great effect on dogs

Take a look also at this thread

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=94334
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm using homeopathic anxiety drops with my dog who is scared of fireworks. She's not hiding so much now so I think there is an improvement.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
My mum is training in the flower remidies
We are using rescue remidy on Mia to calm her down a bit
We tried it on Ben but it over calmed him and he looked stoned!!
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
LOL at Ben being stoned!

Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Personally, having read up on the 'science' behind them, I cannot comprehend how they can possibly be effective.
The way I look at it is that is treats 'like with like', in kind of the same way a noise cancelling works.

I'm a big fan - I recently cured Sarcoptic Mange (scabies) on a rescue pup using the homeopathic mange treatment from the National Fox Welfare Society (http://www.nfws.org.uk) they use it on wild foxes would you believe! (I did use neem oil as well, however that on it's own was not making progress prior to using homeopathic).

I must admit, I had my doubts for such a hard to shift disease, however the proof is in my beautiful shiny coated girl
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
The "science" behind homeopathy and a few other alternative therapies

http://www.csicop.org/si/9709/beyer.html
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by EBMEDIC View Post
The "science" behind homeopathy and a few other alternative therapies
Written by a psychologist? I hardly think he's qualified to write about the "science" behind homeopathy.

And as for his "placebo effect" claim - how can you claim that when we are talking about homeopathy for dogs?

I've used homeopathy successfully on my rescue pup who had mange. Did I somehow "tell" her that she was being treated with homeopathy and would therefore get better?!!

Oh, and the NFWS - they successfully use homeopathy for mange in wild foxes..... do they also tell the foxes??!!!

LMAO
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
1. Written by a psychologist? I hardly think he's qualified to write about the "science" behind homeopathy.

2. And as for his "placebo effect" claim - how can you claim that when we are talking about homeopathy for dogs?

I've used homeopathy successfully on my rescue pup who had mange. Did I somehow "tell" her that she was being treated with homeopathy and would therefore get better?!!

Oh, and the NFWS - they successfully use homeopathy for mange in wild foxes..... do they also tell the foxes??!!!

LMAO

1. Why not a psychologist as that appears to be the major way it works. Any way whio cares who he is? Is he right?

2. Who is reporting the improvement the dog. placebo works on the vet(homeopath) as he expects an improvement. The owner as he wants an improvement and yes on the dog as the owner/carer reassures the dog as reassured by the owners relaxed attitude.

3. And what is the natural course of sarcoptic mange without intervention? Is that better or worse than homoepathic or conventional intervention?
The answer to this question requires numbers and statistics for full marks.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »