View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mirandashell2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before but...

I'm thinking about taking on a retired greyhound. I've had dogs before but the only thing making me hestitant is that I work full-time. My partner also works but he is a driving instructor so is in and out of the house.

The lady at the RGT said that greyhounds are pretty cool about being on their own as they are kept in kennels.

Anyone here taken on a greyhound? Any advice would be gratefully accepted!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Welcome to Dogsey

Greyhounds really do make wonderful companions.

If your going to be leaving him/her for 8 or so hours a day it'd definitely be worth getting a dog walker in to break up their day.

Please also be prepared to work through any initial destruction when s/he is left alone, if you expect it then it'll be a bonus if there isn't any
mirandashell2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Ann.

Me and my OH have just been to our local RGT to walk a couple of dogs.

My OH is a driving instructor so he is in and out of the house and could, at least, let the dog out in the garden. But I am putting serious thought into it.

The walk today has taught me that I need to get one that is calm as they are stronger than I expected and could pull me off my feet if they ran!
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 01:41 AM
ask away! I'm a walking greyhound encyclopedia!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi Miranda a girl I used to work with rescued 6 Greys, they were lovely dogs. I would describe them as being calm, gentle and attention loving, really lovely dogs ...

I don't really think any dog should be left alone for long periods though .

If you are not in a position to own a dog just now and would like to walk/help with one occasionally you could do what my son and his girlfriend have been doing, join the Cinnamon Trust as volunteers ... (they both work from home some days )

http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/ctrust2.html
mirandashell2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks to both of you.

GG - What do you think about leaving the dog alone? The women at the shelter didn't seem to think it would be a problem but most dog-owners I know are dubious.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Admittedly I don't have greyhounds but most dogs can quiet happily be left to there own devices (once trained) for up to four hours at a time without any ill effect.

My three are locked downstairs every night while we go to bed (my Dobes are not allowed up stairs except for their weekly bath) and I have no problems with that and neither do I on the odd occasion they are left at home on there own.

So long as you leave it access to a bowl of water while you are out and take it for a long walk as soon as you get home you won't have any problems to contend with.

As I said before the hardest part will be the training bit, so you will need to start of by leaving it alone for short periods of time in whatever room it will sleep in and then work up from that.

Yes they are used to being their own in kennels, but please remember that a home environment is totally different to being in kennels.
mirandashell2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks Colin. That's reassuring.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by mirandashell2 View Post
Thanks to both of you.

GG - What do you think about leaving the dog alone? The women at the shelter didn't seem to think it would be a problem but most dog-owners I know are dubious.
Well, greyhounds are used to four turn outs a day. So they should at least get that. As dogs go, greyhounds are very well crate trained, and you'll find it a lot easier to leave him if you continue crating him. I leave my girl alone at home in her crate 5 days a week from 7:30 to 2:45 and she's fine with that.

Also no matter what path you choose... Get a Kong, they're so amazing, I swear, every purchase of a dog should come with a kong.

"most dogs can quiet happily be left to there own devices (once trained) for up to four hours at a time without any ill effect."

I don't really agree with this. I leave Jenny longer then that everyday. And once I left her for 10 hours (I felt soooo bad, but we got three flat tires and were stranded on the highway!) and when we got home she was fine. She really had to go potty, but other then that she was still asleep!
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Also, greyhounds are used to company. They've never been alone a night in their lives, they've always been surrounded by other greyhounds. So you'll find it a lot less stressful for your dog if you let him sleep in his crate in your room. Then at least he wont be alone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >