View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 07:42 PM
She doesn't have stitches (I'd be horrified if the cats fought that badly), however she is bent on both scratching it with her back foot... as well as wiping off the topical medication and eating it with her front foot. Remember, she is a cat - not a dog.

They will wipe anything off and eat it, because they are picky like that. I'm trying to think around the cone, but I cannot think of a way to keep her from wiping off the medicine with her front paw, as well as keeping her back feet from scratching it without the cone.

Cat scratches are very dangerous and they have a moderately high infection rate and she is very old now, which is why we are going through all this trouble to begin with. Otherwise we'd just leave it to heal like any other little scrape.

A week or so is all she needs... but she's not adjusting well at all. This was not expected, but then she's never worn a cone before so we didn't know what to expect.

Also, Tang that is not stupid at all. I did just that when Brownie got a gaping hole in his neck. He looked like an idiot, but it worked well!

But with the cat, I don't think it'll work that well. I'd have to bind all her feet (not just the back ones) and cats are MUCH craftier at getting stuff off than dogs because they hate it far more.

No doubt she'd be able to work whatever I put on her off in a jiffy. I'll try it though as soon as I can find something small and secure enough to cover her tiny little feet.

Any advice there? I have baby socks if I need to cover the dogs big stupid feet, but they are far too large for her.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Been thinking about it (and I do know how cussed and clever cats are) think all you can do is watch her 24/7 until it starts to heal up.

Or just LET HER WALK BACWARDS! Hell you have to do something and she isn't going to co operate!

I was insanely also thinking of making your own cone out of summat like those opaque letter or document folders you can see through? Lightweight and flexible but not sharp edges.

Cats! Huh!

I am on my knees thanking my good luck that I have NEVER ever had to put a cone of shame on any of my various pets in my whole life of about 40 yrs of owning them. I don't envy those who do have to.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much, Tang. I really needed that laugh. There really isn't anything else I can do at this point, is there? It's such a sad sight though, seeing her back all over the place with NO results.

She is confined to the den/living room area because she is backing everywhere. She's safe down here and she will be fine given time. She's fine, eating like normal and doing everything (aside from walking) normally.

We don't have any of those folders you're speaking about but I know what you're talking about. I'll have a look tomorrow at the mass merchandise store. See if I can't find some.

For now, Queen Cone FatRat (what I've been calling her) is just going to have to deal. It's nice to see someone who knows about cats have a say, people often don't realize the HUGE differences. Thanks for everything.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
You are most welcome I've owned many cats in my life and I've been thinking about this ditzy backwards walking cat since you posted! I am a natural 'problem solver' (hey that's my job!)

I was feeling really bad about her but remembered my old Ebeneezer who went blind before he died. Now that was a big problem to begin with - but we both survived it.

It's like it is with your kids - you are the 'mum' and the mum is supposed to be able to put everything right and make everything better. But sometimes we just can't. Unfortunately dumb animals can't be sat down and have that explained to them and it is us who end up 'feeling bad' about it.

~She will survive this experience - nothing BROKEN - no great LOSS OF BLOOD - nothing HANGING OFF!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Tang, might I ask you something else? Since the ridiculous cat is STILL backing around and we're having to carry her into the litterbox and it's just a hot mess, I thought to ask another question.

I thought of a possible way to get the cat to realize she can go forward. Blue is incredibly scared of the vacuum cleaner. Only the big one though, which we almost never use because it's hard to move around etc.

Is scaring her with this and trying to force her to run away too mean? I KNOW she will bolt forward if I do this, and it might stick? I think it's too mean, but I mean she is miserable and the cone will have to stay on another few days at least.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Myra,I know you were asking Tang and hope you don't mind me saying but....no don't do that.Could scare the life out of her,she could knock herself out trying to get away.
Can you not try and coax her with some delicious yummy,sit in front of her,so she has to walk forward to get it
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Do NOT scare her! She is already distressed and it will serve you right if she goes into meltdown and shats all over the house lol!

You know when Jenny was having big problems trying to stop her dog chewing his injured tail - in the end she just had to WATCH him most of the time to make sure he didn't and only use the other methods if she couldn't be there to do it.

Is this a really bad wound? Stitches are the biggest danger - in case they pull them out.

Is it just that she will NOT stop scratching at it? If the collar is giving her a mental breakdown I'd seriously consider taping up the paws she is using to scratch with.

Actually I'd DREAD having to do any of that but as I'm only giving the benefit (or otherwise) of my random thoughts - well it's easy for me to say!

When Bella was spayed the vet put a tight belly bandage on her so she couldn't get at the wound.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 08:37 PM
I didn't think it was a good idea, either. I won't do this to her. I just feel so bad with her backing around and needing help going to the litterbox etc. I TRIED to coax her with food, but she just stares at the food and doesn't move.

The wound isn't bad at all. It's just that cat scratches easily get infected and she is old and has allergies and a pretty weak system.

She keeps scratching the cone, so I KNOW she'd scratch the scratch. I am keeping a look at her, of course... but she can't stand dogs and avoids them so it's hard to watch over her all the time.

She is doing OKAY, but she truly hates the cone, the poor little thing. Her reaction is extreme as I see cats backing up with cones, but they eventually will go forward.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I feel so sorry for her. Is there no dressing that could be applied?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 10:49 PM
I so wish there was, but as she is a cat... she'd rip it off immediately. I just am hoping she will heal ASAP so the cone can come off.

Thanks for the advice, there isn't anything that can really be done I guess.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >