register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: I use a...
CRT Monitor 11 34.38%
TFT Monitor 21 65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 10:24 AM
lol Mini...

Awww J, poor oliver, that's funny!...lol
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
lol Mini...

Awww J, poor oliver, that's funny!...lol
He actually tried to jump up there, the second I had the TRT up, but fell down the back,

He was definately NOT pleased...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 11:39 AM
lmao.....now that is funny!!!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 11:45 AM
I dont know much about computers, just a fiddler really. When I bought this one 1 1/2 yrs ago, it didnt occur to me to buy a flat screen etc. I have the basics on mine. CD, DVD, photo stuff etc. All the stuff I thought I might need, but havent actually used much of it. Must do a comp course....
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Hmmmmm, tried to tick both, but it wouldn't let me! In Snorri Mansions, the old machine (The Big Mac) has a CRT monitor - it's actually a PC monitor, but it has a Mac connection adapter. The "Happy Meal" (Mac laptop) has what I think is TFT (unless someone knows different!). It's the Happy Meal that gets most use, because it will go anywhere.

I think pics look better on-screen with the laptop (and I have to use it a lot for pics), but as I've never installed the Epson printer driver, I don't know how well it prints. (The printer is somewhat temperamental at best: it works when it feels like it ajnd needs its guide rail cleaned and vaselined before any session!).

The annoying bit is that if I want to print pics, I have to email them to myself on the Big Mac - the Happy Meal has the Apple iPhoto application which imports from my digicam, but iPhoto won't work on the Big Mac's old operating system (OS 9.1).

I do have an Apple Airport (WiFi base station), and while the laptop should work with it, the Big Mac doesn't have an Airport card - so the Happy Meal talks, but the Big Mac doesn't listen. If it did, I wouldn't have to do the email thing and printing pics wouldn't be such a pain in the butt!

The other reason for using the Happy Meal most is that its software is far more up-to-date: the Big Mac has an ancient version of Internet Explorer and half the Dogweb features are not visible, but the Happy Meal has a newer version, plus the marvellous Firefox, which sees everything!

I think I can hear some folks saying "Get a PC, then!" - but a) I can't afford one (both Macs were a second-hand gift, or I'd have nothing) and b) although I did do an NVQ course on a PC, in 1998, I've forgotten half the PC stuff I learned. Everything I've learned since was learned on a Mac - I have learned to love Macs, because they are simple, stable, and easy to fix when they b*gg*r up.

I had to open up the Big Mac a few months back (the clock battery expired) and the innards are stamped with the building date. The Big Mac was constructed on 1 July 1998, making it about 9 years old, which is pretty good - it still does what it's meant to do, which is more than can be said for some PCs! I have no idea how old the Happy Meal is - probably about 5?

The CRT gives lovely colours, but I don't think they are very realistic (red is too red, yellow too yellow - just like Kodak film. The TFT looks more natural to my aging eyes!).

Sorry to have rabbited on for so long!

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2005, 12:56 PM
P.S. I liked the pic of Oliver the cat, and laughed at the idea of him falling off the new monitor! Cats may not ****-up very often, but when they do, they do it bigtime! (Ooops! Net-nannied! No, I didn't use THAT naughty word!)

Snorri
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Im glad you explained which was which!

Mine would be a TFT due to using a laptop and would look kinda funny with the other type!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
P.S. I liked the pic of Oliver the cat, and laughed at the idea of him falling off the new monitor! Cats may not ****-up very often, but when they do, they do it bigtime! (Ooops! Net-nannied! No, I didn't use THAT naughty word!)

Snorri
Thank you Snorri

Ooh yes Oliver does the most stupid things. And as you say, he doesnt do it often, but boy oh boy he makes up for quantities in "quality"
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 02:12 PM
We have crt moitors on both of ours.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Im glad you explained which was which!

Mine would be a TFT due to using a laptop and would look kinda funny with the other type!
My first computer (now in the great Internet in the sky) was so clapped out that, despite being a laptop (we called it the "Claptop" ) its own screen was defunct, and we had to connect a small CRT monitor, which worked, but not very well - it was pretty clapped-out, too.

It was years ago, and I didn't get on the Net till the first Mac arrived (2001). The claptop ran Windows 3.11 and wasn't internet enabled (didn't even have a CD drive!). Eventually, it just gave up the ghost and died

The monitor died as well (it had a very rocky on-switch), but its colour was good. A pity, because I could have made good use of it now!

Snorri
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >