Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 08:28 AM

What do you consider bad habits??

My biggest pet hate is owners induldging their dogs wishes, giving into the dog begging for their human food.

Mum gives Millie toast (its very low fat)) but then it has marmalade she gives it in small bits but lately those small bits have been getting bigger and bigger -.-

yesterday we had guests and caught mum slipping Millie crumbs of biscuits which had chocolate chips after I told her before christmas Millie must not have chocolate because its highly poisoness -.-

Its easy to see why so many dogs are overweight people start giving them little bits and then before long those little bits become the whole thing because the dog happens to like it theirfore it cant be bad for them.

where do you draw the line do your family members have to respect your rules around the dog??
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2012, 08:57 AM
yes they do cos if they dont the papillons will pee in the house and the dobermann will flatten them by jumping up!! they have learnt the hard way that rules are in place for a reasons!!!
obviously works in progress as it were but getting better cos everyone follows these rules!!!
and yes fat pets are a pet hate of my own!!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I have rules for different people, based on how they are and what I know they'll do.

For instance - I don't leave my two around the In laws because of what they let Benjie get away with - the things I don't want instilling in Sadie or Louie because I don't want Louie to sit at my plate and bark for food off it. And Sadie lives elsewhere so I can't let others teach her bad habits when she'll be told off for it at home.
Benjie will bark at MiL's plate as she's eating and she'll feed him from it and ask him "what"
BiL will also feed the dogs whatever he has which includes chocolate of the human variety, and yesterday I caught him about to give Louie a ready salted crisp. Of course me and the OH are the only ones that tell him what not to do because everyone else seems to fear upsetting him due to his disability, however I see my dogs health more important than upsetting someone.
I also don't allow any training to be done when in laws are around because they just have to join in and muck it all up. I want my dog to sit when I tell him to sit, not stand and wag his tail. And if walking, if I'm trying to gain control because Louie's got a little excited all I hear is "heel, sit, heel" and they're not even holding the lead.. I do leash work silently and because to them it seems I'm not correcting him, they then grab hold of the lead or the collar and just annoy me and Louie. Regardless of what they have been told they still do it.. :/
They mean well, I know they do and they are fantastic people but clueless about dogs.

Whereas with other people, habits don't stretch far. My parents haven't had a dog since their childhoods (is childhoods right?) so they are clueless about it anyway, but luckily they trust my judgement and my word and the only thing I have really had to correct them on is the "down" and "off" words. I had to tell my brother and my dad that Louie doesn't like rough play, as he is a sensitive dog - and they've been told once and thats it. And my brother who thinks he knows everything has started asking me about what Louie likes and what he can have as scraps instead of just giving them to him.

My OH has bad habits too - like feeding off the plate, or he did until I remained firm on the dogs are gated off when we eat as they all crowd around him.. whereas everyone else (well me and my sister) they just lie down and its as if we don't have anything.

But then we're all not faultless. I have a tendency to anthropomorphize (sp) the dogs when talking about them - however I do not treat them as anything other than what they are.

I can't stand the sight of fat pets. If they have a medical condition then fair enough it can't always be helped. but if it is just the owners fault then shame on them, our animals don't ask to be fat, most dogs have no problem eating all day if they want to..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 10:27 AM
my rules are simple with my dogs...

no one walks them but me.
no one feeds them but me.
no disciplines them but me.

basically i do everything with my dogs, that way i know exactly what they do, and if anything goes wrong with them then its my fault.

i let other people come on walks with me, like my brother who is allowed to hold daphni's lead, but no one ever takes them out on their own. if im going out so nana has to feed them, i get their food ready first, so all she has to do is put the bowl down.

im strict with my dogs, and dont really trust anyone with them other than me.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I have kind of accepted that I can't control other peoples actions so I don't worry about it any more.

I have no problem with people feeding my dogs tit bits provided it is not to excess. Luckily my dogs are not overweight and my family are to not stupid about avoiding the obvious (feeding chocolate, sweets, other junk, etc.).
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I can be a bit of a control freak re: feeding, if only because the dogs we had when I was growing up were both overweight for a large part of their lives, one only slightly and one rather a lot. Hate seeing fat dogs now and am adamant Gelert won't get that way.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I can be a bit of a control freak re: feeding, if only because the dogs we had when I was growing up were both overweight for a large part of their lives, one only slightly and one rather a lot. Hate seeing fat dogs now and am adamant Gelert won't get that way.
i hate seeing fat dogs! drives me mad, as well as seeing people getting dragged rather than walking with their dogs, because they havent taught them to heel.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I do not really care about the bad habits in other dogs as long as they do not impact on me or my dogs.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i hate seeing fat dogs! drives me mad, as well as seeing people getting dragged rather than walking with their dogs, because they havent taught them to heel.
Wow, if only it were so easy. I wonder why I didn't think of that before (teaching heel).
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Wow, if only it were so easy. I wonder why I didn't think of that before (teaching heel).
i know its not "just that easy" i never said it was, but dogs can be taught not to pull..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >