View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2007, 12:47 PM

KC Bronze award test next Wednesday. Aaarrgg!

Me and Minnie have our Bronze award next Wednesday and im so nervous! I need to try and control it so she doesnt pick up on it but i cant help it lol. We had a mock test this Wednesday and she would have passed (wwwooo!) but she was being more good than usual. No doubt next week she will play up!

The main problem im having is getting her to lie down on the rubber mat at the class for the 1 min stay. She will only lie on carpet, shes a spoilt little madam The trainer said that i could take a blanket or something similar but i havent done this so far so would it be a bit risky trying it out on the test? I can get her to sit for a minute easily but i feel the lie down is more controlled.

Any tips on anything to do with the test guys? Im going to have no nails left by next week! lol
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
You could try her with a blanket at home for a few days?

I was a wreck when we took ours! Max was as good as gold, as if someone else had trained him
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Don't worry about it, I only found out when I got to training that the test was that lesson! Practise loads at home, like has already been said. If I was going to do it again I would actually train a longer stay, so that on the day the 1 minute seems short. But just don't worry, I'm sure you'll pass and even if you don't it just means you can practice a little longer
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I was incredibly nervous when I did bronze. I just tried telling myself that Jaz knew everything and that she would do well! Luckily she did!

I agree with trying her with a blanket at home. If she doesn't take to it just do sit stay, then work on your down stay for gold.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 10:24 PM
5 out of our 6 dogs have this now!

The last one to do it was Gracie the crazy pug and i was really dreading the one minute stay as she's not the best at sitting still for that long But she just led down and went to sleep

I would try not to worry too much, the examiners are usually very supportive and helpful and you get a couple of attempts at it, i know one person who was in the group with me and Gracie had 3 or 4 goes at the 1minute stay!

If you're nervous the dog will know about it, so just enjoy it. Its not as difficult as it sounds and its actually really good fun!! Just remember your poop bag and a brush
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
You could try her with a blanket at home for a few days?

I was a wreck when we took ours! Max was as good as gold, as if someone else had trained him
I tested out the blanket idea today on our wood floor and she wouldnt do it at first but then im pleased to say she did do the down stay for a minute! Im going to try it a couple of times a day up until wednesday. Knowing me she will make me look like an idiot and lie on the rubber mat instead

Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Don't worry about it, I only found out when I got to training that the test was that lesson! Practise loads at home, like has already been said. If I was going to do it again I would actually train a longer stay, so that on the day the 1 minute seems short. But just don't worry, I'm sure you'll pass and even if you don't it just means you can practice a little longer
Thats really good advice! I will try doing it for a minute and 15 seconds next time.

Originally Posted by Gina&Jaz View Post
I was incredibly nervous when I did bronze. I just tried telling myself that Jaz knew everything and that she would do well! Luckily she did!

I agree with trying her with a blanket at home. If she doesn't take to it just do sit stay, then work on your down stay for gold.
For gold lol. That seems so far off If we pass the Bronze we will have to find a new class as the next one doesnt start till 10Pm

Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
5 out of our 6 dogs have this now!

The last one to do it was Gracie the crazy pug and i was really dreading the one minute stay as she's not the best at sitting still for that long But she just led down and went to sleep

I would try not to worry too much, the examiners are usually very supportive and helpful and you get a couple of attempts at it, i know one person who was in the group with me and Gracie had 3 or 4 goes at the 1minute stay!

If you're nervous the dog will know about it, so just enjoy it. Its not as difficult as it sounds and its actually really good fun!! Just remember your poop bag and a brush

5 dogs lol and im stressing about 1 We've been told the examiner is really nice and is pretty lenient. Ive got to read the questions yet but ive been told they are daft and you only need to get half right.

The spoilt little madam has a new pink diamante collar off Pucci and i.d tag to make a good impression. Shes the most spoilt dog i know

Thanx for the support guys! Ill keep you updated with pics if she passes!
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2007, 07:30 AM
The questions are definetly daft. One of mine was
'Where should your dog eat from?'
I'd be worried if someone didn't know that!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I got

'What should your dog have a constant supply off?'
'What would you take your dog to the vet for?'
'What would you do to your dog in a field full of sheep?'
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gina&Jaz View Post
The questions are definetly daft. One of mine was
'Where should your dog eat from?'
I'd be worried if someone didn't know that!
Lol well minnie would disagree with eating out of her bowl as she prefers eating it off the floor or even better sneeking food off your plate

Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
I got

'What should your dog have a constant supply off?'
'What would you take your dog to the vet for?'
'What would you do to your dog in a field full of sheep?'
What would you do to your dog in a field full of sheep? Lol is it me or is that phrased in a rather strange way?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Hahah, I know! Answer is put on a lead, for any of those who may wonder!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >