Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Puncture wound - any advice?

Archie was attacked yesterday by another dog.

He has quite a deep puncture wound at the top of one of his front legs.

I wasn't there but Gigi cleaned it up, cut the fur around it and put antibiotic salve on it. He seems ok and lets us look at it without any problems. In fact, apparently he didn't even care afterwards and went on playing as normal. It was only at the end of the walk they noticed he was bleeding.

Is there anything else we should be doing? Should we take him to the vet? It seems to be healing ok but I've never had to deal with a puncture would so I'm not sure what to do

Any advice please?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2006, 12:10 PM
One of our dogs got attacked by another dog and had quite a nasty puncture wound,we bathed it with a mild salt water solution and applied some antiseptic cream,i think we also used some dettol diluted in water.
Hope this helps and it heals soon,keep an eye on it for any sign of infection,maybe worth letting the vet have a look at it.
Sal
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Awww, poor Archie.
Agree with what nissanmad said, if it begins to look red and inflamed, or he begins bothering at it, if there is any discharge from it or it begins to feel warm, take him to the vet. If not just keep an eye and keep bathing it for him. If in doubt, check with the vet.
Hope he's okay.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your poor pooch!
If the wound is clean and doesnt seem to bother him you should be ok to let it heal itself. Check it daily to make sure it doesnt become infected.

To help stop my labs tail from becoming infected when he wounded it, i applied Germoline 'New Skin' - you can get it from tesco or boots. It is waterproof but still breatheable. Just make sure the wound is clean (sounds like you already have) and as dry as possible. It can sting a little when applied though! It definitely helped his tail heal as when he did try to lick it, he couldnt reach the wound and was just licking the new skin!

Hope you dog recovers quickly x
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Presumably it's a puncture as in bite wound. In which case, keep a very close eye on it for infection! If it looks clean, isn't bleeding, doesn't hurt etc. then let it heal by itself, else go see the vet!

Sounds like Archie isn't too bothered by it, so that's good anyway...
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys

It doesn't look too bad actually.... He has also scraped the skin off his lower lip (ouch!) but that seems ok...

will see how he does and just keep it clean

Rich, yes it's a bite wound.

Thanks
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Awww poor Archie, how could something want to hurt him

Hope his injury gets better soon, big cuddles to him and a kiss too of course!