Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 12:44 PM

Question about using someone's internet connection

Someone has asked to use my internet connection and network to watch something on You Tube on their own laptop.

Are there any risks with this, such as having anything confidential end up on their laptop? I trust the person and I'd be there all the time anyway so I'm not worried about deliberate looking at stuff.

Thanks.
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2012, 12:56 PM
There are ways to access your computer that are easier over wi-fi but they would have to actively try. Anything in your network folder would end up on their computer too, if they accessed it.

The bigger concern would be that if they did anything illegal - whether its something like inappropriate images (I'm sure you get what I mean) or just downloading, which most people think they can get away with, you'll be the one responsible.

You'd need to be absolutely certain that they wouldn't do anything that could get you into trouble because their IP address would be traced back to you.

Also, make sure that your plan is unlimited or very big if they are going to watch videos, because 2 people using it can drain it very quickly.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks EllesBelles.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Agree with Elle - if there's anything on your computer set as 'shared' they will be able to access it. But the main concern is them doing something illegal, and/or letting other people know your password etc.

If you can change the password later and it's only for a limited time it'll probably be ok.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Azz.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-03-2012, 07:12 AM
I think I am right in saying anything they download will be linked to your IP address?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
It's simple really. Even if you've got the technical know-how to lock down all the other devices on your network and monitor what the guest is accessing on your connection it'd still boil down to how much you trust them as a person. Would you have them stay as a guest in your house or would you want to lock up the silverware first?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
It's simple really. Even if you've got the technical know-how to lock down all the other devices on your network and monitor what the guest is accessing on your connection it'd still boil down to how much you trust them as a person. Would you have them stay as a guest in your house or would you want to lock up the silverware first?
Yes.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-04-2012, 11:02 PM
There you go then...