Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 07:20 AM

Internet connection

I am having problems with my connection. I am frequently losing the connection. When this happens I disconnect on the computer and ask it to reconnect, this is usually successful.

Would anyone know is this likely to be my wireless thingy (technophobe here) or my telephone line?

We are rural btw.

I don't want to be replacing anything if it's not necessary! The same thing is happening to my daughter's computer and my Kindle so I know it's not my computer.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Mine drops out from time to time and I am within 500 yds of the telephone exchange !

If it's more than once a day then I would get in touch with your broadband provider !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Do you have satellite broadband? I had a problem with mine not working a while ago - mine kept losing its connection, and I spoke to my broadband provider who helped me to reconfigure the dish.

If you aren't satellite, then sorry, I don't know. The only thing to do would be to speak to your broadband provider and see what they come up with.

Good luck - I know how frustrating it is!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 09:53 AM
I know my mum has had problems with her internet connection with BT amd has been on the phone a lot to them recently - good job it's free! Probably best to speak to your provider.

Helen
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 10:08 AM
BT tend to mess about from time to time. Last time was end of last week.

An update then came in for BT help - put it on and then did a pc check. It said something about the cache memory being wrong so told it to fix and it's been ok since. Hubby's computer was just the same and it fixed his too

I take it your mum has pulled the plug on the box for 30 seconds then put it back in ? Also, has she done a clean up and defragment?

These are the only simple things I can do and they normally work.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2012, 10:17 AM
You could contact your provider to rule out Line Problems, but if disconnecting and reconnecting works, it may be your router (the wireless thingy) - sometimes when routers start to 'die' they do odd things like this.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Pysces View Post
You could contact your provider to rule out Line Problems, but if disconnecting and reconnecting works, it may be your router (the wireless thingy) - sometimes when routers start to 'die' they do odd things like this.
I occasionally have a problem with my connection and when I do I usually find the online light on my 'wireless thingy' is usually off.
I was advised to turn off the power to the wireless thingy and leave it a couple of moments before turning it back on. This usually works
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I get this too. It's so annoying when it happens regularly.

I unplug the modem and router, plug back in and it sorts itself out.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Thank you everybody for replying.

I was suspecting that it might be the router. In the past I used to unplug it and plug it back in to get it going but it seems to work if I just disconnect on the computer. It's happening much more frequently these days. It's so annoying!

Our telephone lines aren't brilliant, they are actually above ground in places along the school road!

Lol Brierly I am the mum!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Ooops! Sorry, I was skim reading and mixed up the original post with one of the replies. If you haven't unplugged it from the wall socket, try that because it should fully re-set it.

Who's she with? We're with BT and it can be very hit and miss, but our exchange hasn't been up-dated (from Neanderthal days at a guess). Would love to get the Sky full package, but because the exchange is so bad, we'd have to pay more than we are paying to BT
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >