Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Where does this assumption come from? Is it going to do anyone any good to make up details like this from nowhere? Would you appreciate it if it was suggested you were taking £50 from BYBs to allow them to post on here without any evidence?
Aren't I allowed to air my thoughts? All I'm saying is it would not surprise me, and given that the accounts are not public we can only speculate

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
On your second point, where do rescues draw the line? Don't take dogs from a breeder because the breeder will breed more. Don't take dogs from individuals because the individual may adopt another? Heard plenty of cases of people getting rid of a problem dog/dog with health issues/etc. to replace it with a "shiny new" puppy
You draw the line based on taking all the factors into account.

Puppy farmers

- profiteer unethically from dogs
- contribute to the problem time and time again (ex breeder after ex breeder)
- get major benefit from having an easy dispose option
- go and carry on and create more problems because of point above!

Individual

- will prob use the rescue once, often with genuine heart-ache
- if they are persistent offenders then by all means say no
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm with Azz on this, I'm not a huge fan of MT as many know - the extremely uneducated (and incorrect) response they gave as to why castration is supposedly beneficial to a dog and the lack of a reply to my response made me wonder how knowledgeable they truly are.

With the amount of money coming in stated from this article then you'd think they'd be at least campaigning to put an end to puppy farming, yet they appear to be doing nothing?

Ending a puppies suffering by removing it from a puppy farm is lovely, but you can't get away from the fact that by taking these animals they're ensuring the suffering of the breeding animals for a long time to come. I'm not saying there's an easy answer, but the amount of "rescuing" they appear to be doing just doesn't sit right with me.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm not saying there's an easy answer...
There is.. stop taking ex-breeders from known (or suspected) puppy farmers. Make life harder for them not easier. Profiteering from a heinous business is one thing, but breaking the law (which they might be forced to) is another.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
There is.. stop taking ex-breeders from known (or suspected) puppy farmers. Make life harder for them not easier. Profiteering from a heinous business is one thing, but breaking the law (which they might be forced to) is another.
I agree, but if it really was that easy we wouldn't be having this discussion would we. The sad truth is people will always fall for the "underdog" and often can't see the bigger picture because of this. All they see is the poor little dog needing rescuing, not stopping to think about how the money or help they offer the puppy farmer is actually causing a lot of the suffering to the dogs in the first place.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2012, 11:28 PM
All they see is the poor little dog needing rescuing, not stopping to think about how the money or help they offer the puppy farmer is actually causing a lot of the suffering to the dogs in the first place.
I dunno. I think sometimes people kid themselves because they don't want to change things. Let's say the majority of some rescues dogs are ex-breeders, putting a stop to that would mean a huge dent in their turnover.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I dunno. I think sometimes people kid themselves because they don't want to change things. Let's say the majority of some rescues dogs are ex-breeders, putting a stop to that would mean a huge dent in their turnover.
It's certainly possible, but a very sad thought!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-01-2012, 01:27 AM
It's certainly possible, but a very sad thought!
I know. Been getting a load of those moments lately so much wrong in the world.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2012, 02:14 AM
I totally agree with Azz as well. I have always wondered why MT takes ex breeders and also why they have pups continually in their rescue
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 03:12 AM
I agree with Azz and Rips.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:11 AM
circa 13k a year for use of kennels they already own is the main thing for me that grates

am not party to the full detail obviously but at a high level i dont get why if you are so concerned with animal welfare and being such a good egg then why take 13k which could be used to help more animals?
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »