Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Disgusted by behaviour at agility club

I went to a different agility club class tonight as it was nearer and much cheaper than the one we have been going to. I wish I hadn't

We were moved into a different class than the one I went and watched last week. I watched appalled as the owner of a working Cocker spaniel handled it very roughly and then grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and bum and threw it forcefully into the tunnel whilst everybody else laughed.

I said to someone else at the class "Is that how dogs are normally handled here" and said I was shocked. When it wsa our turn to go I mentioned to the helper that I was not happy with the way the dog was handled and she just shrugged and looked embarrassed.

The male owner of the Cocker (it was a woman who grabbed it and threw it through the tunnel) then came and had a go at me for daring to suggest that the way they were handling their dog was wrong! He said I didn't know the problems their dog had and there were other bitey dogs there (no-one had thought to warn me of these other bitey dogs ). I said when the dog was thrown into the tunnel there were no other dogs nearby! He admitted this was true. I said I preferred to train my dogs with kindness and for them to see my hands as good things and not bad.

The Cocker had been "naughty" as it was running about away from the owner all the time instead of doing the equipment with her and then when she called it or went to get it it just lay down on the ground and wouldn't move.

The trainer kept going to the Cocker and grabbing its collar and hauling it roughly back to the owner.

I walked out at this point and had a moan to someone in the car park about how disgusting this behaviour was and they said "oh shut-up"!

I rang Jamie up at work as I was crying when I got home and he said not to ring the RSPCA until I had calmed down a bit but I did-not that I think they will do anything!

I also left a message to the organiser of the club whose name is on "Agility net" and said how disgusted I was and that I would not recommend their club to anyone else and that they should warn people they are into heavy-handling and rough treatment of dogs.

When Parker had his turn he stopped and went to the helper (he is nosy and hadn't been to this class before-he usually keeps his mind on the job!) and she waved him away quite roughly and he got scared.

I should have been warned by the conversation of the trainer before the class started when we were setting out the equipment as she was laughing at a Victoria Stillwell episode she had watched today and saying that everything she did involved copious amounts of chicken and she would be no good with a non-food-motivated dog and she nver even touched the dogs anyway. She was certainly no fan of VS. I asked her before I left if she was into Cesar Milan but she said no.

It's not me is it? This is a horrible way to treat your pet isn't it?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Is this club KC licensed?

If it is, report the incident to the Kennel Club.
LauraJaynee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I could never take my Max to agility but I have been to quite a few classes with a lady I care for - she does trains her dog.

The trainers and handlers all treat their dogs with the utmost respect and if a dog should misbehave it it through tone of voice and body language.

I myself would be appalled by the way those dogs were treated and can sympathise in the way you are feeling.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Is this club KC licensed?

If it is, report the incident to the Kennel Club.
No- I just checked on agility-net and it isn't.

Originally Posted by laurajaynee@gma View Post
I could never take my Max to agility but I have been to quite a few classes with a lady I care for - she does trains her dog.

The trainers and handlers all treat their dogs with the utmost respect and if a dog should misbehave it it through tone of voice and body language.

I myself would be appalled by the way those dogs were treated and can sympathise in the way you are feeling.
Thanks-sometimes you think afterwards about an incident and wonder if you over-reacted as no-one else in the class was upset at how this dog was treated. As I said-they thought it funny. I am a very sensitive sort of person as well. I am glad you agree it was appalling.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
(1) and then grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and bum and threw it forcefully into the tunnel whilst everybody else laughed.

(2) I said I preferred to train my dogs with kindness and for them to see my hands as good things and not bad.

(3) The trainer kept going to the Cocker and grabbing its collar and hauling it roughly back to the owner.

(4) It's not me is it? This is a horrible way to treat your pet isn't it?
(1) I'd like to see him or her do that with our Baruska (Newfie) they couldn't lift her, and if they tried they would be minus both hands quicker than you could say 'bite'

(2) Well said, we as humans have a duty to be fair and honest with out dogs and not treat them like a sack of potatoes.

(3) Our Baruska will sit when she doesn't want to move and this so called trainer would shaking like a leaf after trying that on her

(4) No it's definately NOT you, the only mistake you made was thinking that every human with a dog who goes to trainning classes is an intelligent and caring human, sadly there are some who are not.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
No, it definitely is not just you who would feel like you do. I'd have told them how I felt as well. That is horrible!

It is meant to be an enjoyable hobby for both handler and dog, otherwise what's the point?!

Poor Cocker, no wonder he was running off then laying down! He sounds scared.

I would report as well. To the KC also if they are KC registered.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
(1) I'd like to see him or her do that with our Baruska (Newfie) they couldn't lift her, and if they tried they would be minus both hands quicker than you could say 'bite'

(2) Well said, we as humans have a duty to be fair and honest with out dogs and not treat them like a sack of potatoes.

(3) Our Baruska will sit when she doesn't want to move and this so called trainer would shaking like a leaf after trying that on her

(4) No it's definately NOT you, the only mistake you made was thinking that every human with a dog who goes to trainning classes is an intelligent and caring human, sadly there are some who are not.
PLEASE PLEASE can you take your Baruska to this club and get her to misbehave! (yes it would be a long drive!) Thanks for your supprtive comments.

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
No, it definitely is not just you who would feel like you do. I'd have told them how I felt as well. That is horrible!

It is meant to be an enjoyable hobby for both handler and dog, otherwise what's the point?!

Poor Cocker, no wonder he was running off then laying down! He sounds scared.

I would report as well. To the KC also if they are KC registered.
Yes-unfortunately they aren't KC registered as I just checked at SB's suggestion. I am glad you said you would have said something too. I was starting to think I should have taken the easy option; just not said anything and gone home as it was upsetting as I don't like confrontations and also no-one else was thinking the same as me. They can't really call themselves dog-lovers to think they are ok to have dogs treated like this I don't think.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Just remembered something else I said to the man who came to have a go at me for saying the treatment of his dog was wrong.

I said that if I was treating my dog like that in a class he had every right to say he was not happy with the way my dog was being handled and as I would want him to.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
What did he mean by other bitey dogs there don't see the point of that?
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
If they are happy to treat their dog like that in public I dread to think how they handle it in private! Disgusting! Can you find out if they trainer is part of any organisation then report it to them and the rspca
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >