View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 08:20 AM
It is an absolute given that most people who do agility say it does no harm as long as the dogs are fit etc etc. I may well have said cthat myself---for 16 years.

I now know differently having had 3 dogs suffer from front leg problems after competing regularly for many years. One vet said he could tell a dog that did agility from the state of the the front legs/paws.

I would still do it with a dog but I would be so much more aware that jumping on hard ground at summer shows is not a good idea.

rune
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It is an absolute given that most people who do agility say it does no harm as long as the dogs are fit etc etc. I may well have said cthat myself---for 16 years.

I now know differently having had 3 dogs suffer from front leg problems after competing regularly for many years. One vet said he could tell a dog that did agility from the state of the the front legs/paws.

I would still do it with a dog but I would be so much more aware that jumping on hard ground at summer shows is not a good idea.

rune

Attila said this when I used to attend his agility class. He was very strict on doing warm-up exercises.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-11-2011, 08:20 PM
We should be open to changes based on sound research.
Training has changed with new ideas so we should not stick with something because it has always been done this way.
Dawn Weaver agility champ is campaigning for a 4th height to be introduced. .
The original heights were not picked at random but not as much research available when they were selected.
I suppose you will have to have 2 weighings instead of height measures and if you go up a size you cant come back down.
As with height there will always be dogs on the borderlines.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
i tried maxi at a pay on the day event and my boy went under, he just about manages kc medium but has had odd pole down.personally i think kc jumps should be lower especially for labs/retrievers/german shephards that are known to suffer from early onset arthritis and hip problems in later life. My retriever never done agility only dog shows but she had arthritis from 8 till she died at 11, and the tyre should go.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
i think kc jumps should be lower especially for labs/retrievers/german shephards that are known to suffer from early onset arthritis and hip problems in later life.
They have already come down a huge amount from where they were when I started - 2' 6"! Even small dogs jumped that height at the beginning of agility.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
i tried maxi at a pay on the day event and my boy went under, he just about manages kc medium but has had odd pole down.personally i think kc jumps should be lower especially for labs/retrievers/german shephards that are known to suffer from early onset arthritis and hip problems in later life. My retriever never done agility only dog shows but she had arthritis from 8 till she died at 11, and the tyre should go.
As you don't train on full height you cant expect him to then jump full height at an event.

If you are happy jumping small/medium then thats absolutely fine, but I dont think kc jumps should be lower, because at the end of the day it is a competitive sport.
As pam says there are anysize classes for those whose dogs cant/wont jump their correct height, and obviously other organisations which offer this too.

The proposal of a 4th KC height is a whole different thing.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-11-2011, 10:34 AM
The 4th height is to try to get jumps to match the categories of dogs in the class.
Same idea for the weight category just coming from a different angle.
If we elect committees and governing bodies we have to trust they have the interests of the sport at heart and will always try to make changes which will improve the sport for everyone.
They may not get it right everytime but thats their aim.
So if they propose a change we should at least try it first.
They could run a trial category based on weight for 1 season, then review the gains and losses
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by kobi View Post
The 4th height is to try to get jumps to match the categories of dogs in the class.
Same idea for the weight category just coming from a different angle.
If we elect committees and governing bodies we have to trust they have the interests of the sport at heart and will always try to make changes which will improve the sport for everyone.
They may not get it right everytime but thats their aim.
So if they propose a change we should at least try it first.
They could run a trial category based on weight for 1 season, then review the gains and losses
Are you talking about the KC doing this or other independant organisations?
I have no problem wit others doing this, but if the kc ever did (im fairly confident they wont!) then I would have a problem.

The 4th height for kc is not something that I am for or against, I see advantages and disadvantages.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Any of the organisations could do the trial.
BAA seem to be taking the lead.
I have no issues as I think my working cocker will be nicely into medium, or under 25kg
KC are holding cross organisation working council with a view to standardising and licensing all shows. agility net is covering it on heir website.
Organisations will wish to keep their independence then people can choose which rules they run under, if there is a big divergence.
For enjoyment it doesn't matter, but as you get more competitive the edge you can gain from one rule or another may become more important.
I must stress these are discussion points only as I have yet to gain experience running my dog.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by kobi View Post
Any of the organisations could do the trial.
BAA seem to be taking the lead.
I have no issues as I think my working cocker will be nicely into medium, or under 25kg
KC are holding cross organisation working council with a view to standardising and licensing all shows. agility net is covering it on heir website.
Organisations will wish to keep their independence then people can choose which rules they run under, if there is a big divergence.
For enjoyment it doesn't matter, but as you get more competitive the edge you can gain from one rule or another may become more important.
I must stress these are discussion points only as I have yet to gain experience running my dog.
The strategic plan is not talking of changing their rules to be in line with other organisations, it will be these independant shows that then move to follow KC rules. Im certain that the KC will never change their rules to allow a weight category, kc numbers and size of their shows mean this would be impossible to enforce, and I feel there would be a lot of objections if they tried to.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2