Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a rescue, but I doubt I'd even be considered! A lot of the rehoming policies I've read have stated how many dogs you can already own and I have too many, all the dogs I do have aren't neutered, and I don't have a secure garden!

I did look into getting a 6 month old springer but got told they wouldn't rehome to me as I expressed an interest in working the dog! It was a working bred springer!!!!

For my working dogs, it'll always be pups from breeders or adult dogs that have come from friends for what ever reasons. Should I/OH decide to have a dog that we aren't going to work, then we'd maybe try for a rescue, but probably go for a private rehome.
where are all these dodgy springer rescues

for the record Nessr rehomes to working homes, its your choice whether your existing dogs are done, we do rehome with children and to people who work.

Now getting back to the question in hand, our next one will be a pup. we want one to train up to work from scratch, do i feel guilty,,, no i do loads for rescue and will continue to
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I must admit to feeling a little guilty going out and buying a dog as my family had always had rescue dogs and my mum also fostered dogs for years. I spent ages online looking at possible rescues for us but so many said not suitable for young children. I found a great breeder and now have a lovely (but slightly bonkers!) lab. Perfect breed for a family. There are so many dogs in rescue largely because of stupid people and unfortunately stupid people will always exist. They don't care or even think enough before getting a dog and then they dump the poor soul, usually with a collection of issues that make it difficult for rehoming. I know there are exceptions and some people have to part with beloved pets through no fault of their own which is heartbreaking but I've seen enough over the years to think that some people really are gormless but it's the dogs that suffer for it.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
where are all these dodgy springer rescues

for the record Nessr rehomes to working homes, its your choice whether your existing dogs are done, we do rehome with children and to people who work.

Now getting back to the question in hand, our next one will be a pup. we want one to train up to work from scratch, do i feel guilty,,, no i do loads for rescue and will continue to
It wasn't breed specific, I went into a rescue centre with a friend looking for a cat, and she whipped out a picture of her springers with her current cat, and a couple of the rescue workers insisted on showing us the springer, bought in that morning, due to destructive behaviour. She had a wildness I like in a spaniel, and said I'd love a go at training her to work and as soon as I said that, it was ohhh no, we won't rehome her to someone that will work her, she needs to be a pet!

I would absolutely approach Nessr should I ever want a spangle rescue dog!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
no offense but tbh, I dont like your own comments on this much!
for some people family is family, canine or human and 'genetics' dont come into it in that sense!

People who have no desire to have their own 'genetically 1/2 of them' children still foster children long term and gain fulfilment, some to the point where the child is accepted as their own, and that is special to them!

Some people cant have children of their own but I am sure they love their adopted children as much as if they could have had their own. Because the ARE their own children who are very special to them! (plenty people have their own 'genetic' children and couldnt give a damn about them too)
Sorry, I meant no offence. I know that any family member is special. I am not trying to belittle that, it was just my opinion. I love Axel dearly and he is my family, but he is not my child. I hope to have a child of my own one day, if I don't I hope to adopt...I wouldn't love them any less, please don't think I would.
Apologies for any upset caused.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a slightly different angle,I would actually love my own puppy,a dog that I could train from the very beginning, but because I work full time and live on my own I can't do that.
So all 3 of the dogs that I have owned have been older.

Stripe 9 month old Lurcher,given to me for free
Craven 1 year old Foxhound,private rehome
Flint 4/5 year old Foxhoundy type thing,rescue centre.

I don't think I ever will have my own pup because by the time Craven & Flint are gone I will be retired,and then I want to rescue some oldies.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 07:49 PM
This thread has shown that people do what they do for their own reasons.

Its your choice and I don't think anyone should feel guilty about it.

If you take your dog into your life and fulfill your commitment to your own dog then thats what you do regardless of were it came from
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a rescue, but I doubt I'd even be considered! A lot of the rehoming policies I've read have stated how many dogs you can already own and I have too many, all the dogs I do have aren't neutered, and I don't have a secure garden!

I did look into getting a 6 month old springer but got told they wouldn't rehome to me as I expressed an interest in working the dog! It was a working bred springer!!!!

For my working dogs, it'll always be pups from breeders or adult dogs that have come from friends for what ever reasons. Should I/OH decide to have a dog that we aren't going to work, then we'd maybe try for a rescue, but probably go for a private rehome.
my brother has 6 dogs all but 1 are rescues and those 5 dogs are all working gsd's
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I always intended to rescue so having ended up buying a puppy I suppose I do feel some guilt. I had my reasons for the change of plan and said puppy (now dog) is happy, healthy, well loved and looked after and has a home for life with me. What more can one do? Not everyone can rescue for various reasons and there should be no shame in it. Saying that, I do hope to get mutt number two from the dogs home if and when.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Yep, I do.

I have only had rescues, and I have always wanted future dogs to be rescues too... I do sometimes think about going to a breeder, I would like to choose a specific breed I want and to have that dog from a pup. I've also been looking at some rescue sites, and I see very few dogs who are both able to go with another dog and young children. I think the best option would be to get a pup, whether from a rescue or a breeder.

I do think though, that when the times come to getting dog number 2, I will really struggle to go to a breeder... I just don't think my conscience would allow me to. So, I do expect it to be a rescue dog. I will, maybe by then, have to take OHs opinion on the matter too though...

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I wonder if those people think the same about children. EG they will never have their own children whilst so many are in foster homes, children's home or orphanages?

I do not see the pressure on potential parents to do this instead of procreate the way I see the pressure put (by some) on potential dog owners to get a dog from rescue rather than an ethical, reputable breeder.

I wonder why?
I really don't think the two are at all comparable... a dog and a child are two very different things.

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I find it a bit odd that someone referred to being 'bossed about' by a rescue... My dog is a rescue and I know several other folk with rescues. None of us has ever felt remotely 'bossed about' !
I agree, both times we got dogs from the SSPCA we didn't feel 'bossed about' in the slightest!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
my brother has 6 dogs all but 1 are rescues and those 5 dogs are all working gsd's
That was just my one (and only) time that I've ever expressed an interest in a dog fromrescue! I'm not saying every rescue is like that!
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »