View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Do you feel guilty buying a dog with so many in rescue?

I am still happy to go to an ethical breeder but i know someone who has said they will never buy another dog from a breeder again ...
What do you think ??
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I wonder if those people think the same about children. EG they will never have their own children whilst so many are in foster homes, children's home or orphanages?

I do not see the pressure on potential parents to do this instead of procreate the way I see the pressure put (by some) on potential dog owners to get a dog from rescue rather than an ethical, reputable breeder.

I wonder why?

I certainly do NOT feel guilty about buying a puppy and ONE of the reasons for this is that practically no rescue is going to allow me to have a dog with my lifestyle.

Even if they did, I would want OWNERSHIP not KEEPERSHIP.

And if that requirement was met I would have to be the person who decided whether or not the dog was neutered and when.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I feel more guilty about not doing more to stop indiscriminate breeding, Ireland voted to not stop puppy farming due to the economic returns, we have many rescues from there and Wales have given the go ahead for a huge breeding establishment which will no doubt increase the rescue problem.

I may well rescue older dogs in the future, but at the moment I love my breed and intend to stay with it! Taz will be my last puppy due to my age, I want to outlive my dogs if possible.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm not against anyone buying from a breeder. I bought Sasi afterall and certainly didn't feel guilty about it. If I hadn't bought her what would stop anyone else from buying her, getting fed up & putting her in rescue anyways!

But to differ from that I've also had Ruby given to me & Khal was 'rescue' by me and that did make me FEEL like I'd done some good to the doggy world if that makes sense

In this day & age alot of people buy dogs, circumstances change & they end up in rescue...six of one & half a dozen of the other imo
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
No I don't feel even slightly guilty, I have 3 that were bought as pups and three came as rehomes rather than rescues. I don't do jumping through hoops to prove I'm a good owner so my three came from various sources, 1 came with aggression issues from a dogsey members relative, 1 came with various issues from e p u p z as a free to good home, 1 from a family member. They would have all ended up in rescue anyway I just cut out the middle man.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
when i got phoebe i perposfully didnt get a dog from rescue as it being my first dog on my own i didnt want one with issues - that plan didnt work i ended up with one with issues some of her own some no doubt made by me. I would not hessistate about getting a rescue dog in the future though.

I do not like irrisponsible breeding and would avoid them if posible if i was buying a puppy
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Nope. If everyone "felt guilty" because there were so many dogs in rescue, then there would be even fewer reputable breeders producing sound examples of breeds.

Everyone has different requirements. Some breeds never or very rarely show up in rescue. Some people have very specific requirements -- a dog for show, work, dog sports, etc. Some people prefer to purchase a dog where the history of the dog is known (yes I realize this also applies to many rescues too) including a full health history of parents, grandparents, etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Did I feel guilty having a baby when there were so many children needing adoption?
No.
Do I feel quilty buying a dog of the breed I have had for almost 50 years, a 'virgin puppy' unspoilt by humans that I can raise in my own way to have a lovely life and never know fear?
No.
Sorry, I hate to see all the dogs in rescue it is heartbreaking but if people like me didn't buy puppies from good ethical breeders the breed I love would be left to the mercy of the BYB and puppy farmers or it would die out altogether.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post

I am still happy to go to an ethical breeder but i know someone who has said they will never buy another dog from a breeder again ...
What do you think ??
No. I will always buy dogs from now on.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:46 PM
If I had a love for a specific breed then I would have no hesitation purchasing from a breeder.
If I had small children I would also feel more comfortable with a pup.
I do feel good about ending up with two strays, however I doubt I'd be so noble if I was wanting a large breed, again I think I'd be happier with a pup.
From what I have seen of rescues so far is that small dogs do get snapped up quickly, I take my hat off to those who rescue large dogs with issues, I think they're the ones who are in the most in danger of never finding a loving home.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »