Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:04 AM
"In depth research into prospective owners"

Can I ask how you would approach this? How would you fund it? What would your criteria be?

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
"In depth research into prospective owners"

Can I ask how you would approach this? How would you fund it? What would your criteria be?

rune

If you work with rescue you shouldn't need to ask this question. Why should it cost money ? Plenty of research can be done for free or little cost.

Criteria for what ?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
So what you have written makes me very likely to rehome my dogs simply because I do not believe in blanket neutering of dogs at any age.

What irks me about certain rescues is that they set a fixed sale price for their dogs based on breed-Crossbreeds always being cheaper than a recognizible breed of dog, which are often sold by rescues at the going rate for a puppy of the same breed.

You state that breeders cannot make guarentees about the puppies they breed any more than a rescue can-really ? So I cannot guarentee that anyone who gets one of my Keewee's puppies will get a puppy that will not have TNS/CL/MDR 1/CEA(CH) can't I & that getting a puppy/adult collie from a rescue from unknown background will have the same chance of having these conditions ? Sorry you are so very very wrong, my Keewee has been tested & does not have any of these conditions-nor does she carry the genes for them-so her puppies cannot develop them & as I intend to use a genetically nornal dog on her, her puppies will not carry the condition either. Her puppies will be BAER tested as well so no one will get a deaf puppy from her either as I would keep any deaf puppy she might have. Breeders cannot guarentee that puppies will not have HD/ED/epilepsy yet as the inheritance/cause of these conditions is not known-but as she comes from generations of dogs who do not have high HD scores/ED/Epilepsy it is far more unlikely that her puppies will have these conditions either. Would a dog from a rescue have the same starting chances ? I think not.

I seriously worry that some rescues do not do enough in depth research into prospective owners as they have a high a lot of bounce back dogs that should not have gone it to purely pet homes in the first place.(the deaf puppy collie at MT for example)

I've probably worked with rescue longer than most people on this forum have been alive, staring when my parents did in the mid 1950s. I've worked retraining rescue dogs since the mid 1960s. As for the excuses people give I've only truly believed 2-one the owners daughter was allergic(medical evidence seen)to the puppies dander & a lovely man, whose wife had died suddenly, whose working hours made it impossible for him to look after his bitch probably & who was genuinely heart broken when he let her go. All the rest(probably 1,000s)simply wanted rid of their dog.

I have no problem with rescue dogs being neutered, but not before they are post pubescence, however I do not see why someone who wants to have a rescue dog should have to have ALL their other dogs neutered-after all the rescue can not be used for breeding if it is neutered
where exactly did I say that?
What I am getting at is that just because someone responsible doesnt want to neuter their dog having done all the right research and made an educated choice, does not then mean that rescues can knowingly make that same choice when they rehome, with the best research and will in the world we can check out a prospective new home, but people can and do lie and show you what you want to see, and you cannot guarantee that if you dont neuter the dog that it may not end up pregnant or sire to pups. We will not and cannot take that chance, especially with staffies,.

As to the comments regarding the guarantee, my point is that noone can 100% guarantee any dog be that temperament or pedigree or what it will turn out like ultimately so why shouldnt rescues charge a fee just as a breeder does.
A rescue dog shouldnt be a "cheap" dog it should simply be a dog thats wanted.

Rescues often get pedigree dogs in they dont then charge a higher fee for them( or certainly we dont) so no one is actually paying for the dog as such, they are paying a donation to the rescue for the work that they do.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
So what you have written makes me very likely to rehome my dogs simply because I do not believe in blanket neutering of dogs at any age.

What irks me about certain rescues is that they set a fixed sale price for their dogs based on breed-Crossbreeds always being cheaper than a recognizible breed of dog, which are often sold by rescues at the going rate for a puppy of the same breed.

You state that breeders cannot make guarentees about the puppies they breed any more than a rescue can-really ? So I cannot guarentee that anyone who gets one of my Keewee's puppies will get a puppy that will not have TNS/CL/MDR 1/CEA(CH) can't I & that getting a puppy/adult collie from a rescue from unknown background will have the same chance of having these conditions ? Sorry you are so very very wrong, my Keewee has been tested & does not have any of these conditions-nor does she carry the genes for them-so her puppies cannot develop them & as I intend to use a genetically nornal dog on her, her puppies will not carry the condition either. Her puppies will be BAER tested as well so no one will get a deaf puppy from her either as I would keep any deaf puppy she might have. Breeders cannot guarentee that puppies will not have HD/ED/epilepsy yet as the inheritance/cause of these conditions is not known-but as she comes from generations of dogs who do not have high HD scores/ED/Epilepsy it is far more unlikely that her puppies will have these conditions either. Would a dog from a rescue have the same starting chances ? I think not.

I seriously worry that some rescues do not do enough in depth research into prospective owners as they have a high a lot of bounce back dogs that should not have gone it to purely pet homes in the first place.(the deaf puppy collie at MT for example)I've probably worked with rescue longer than most people on this forum have been alive, staring when my parents did in the mid 1950s. I've worked retraining rescue dogs since the mid 1960s. As for the excuses people give I've only truly believed 2-one the owners daughter was allergic(medical evidence seen)to the puppies dander & a lovely man, whose wife had died suddenly, whose working hours made it impossible for him to look after his bitch probably & who was genuinely heart broken when he let her go. All the rest(probably 1,000s)simply wanted rid of their dog.

I have no problem with rescue dogs being neutered, but not before they are post pubescence, however I do not see why someone who wants to have a rescue dog should have to have ALL their other dogs neutered-after all the rescue can not be used for breeding if it is neutered
Our rescue asks for a set donation fee its not based on breeds its across the board, puppy or adult.

We have only had one dog returned to us in the year and a half we have been going, we have rehomed nearly 90 dogs in that time, not a bad "bounce back" rate i'd say. All our prospective homes are homechecked, at the end of the day i can't really see what else rescues can do. Unfortunately, rescues are reliant in many way on the prospective adopter being honest which as we all know isn't always the case, this is often the reason for returns, because the adopter has been less than honest about their circumstances and so the match has not been suitable.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
where exactly did I say that?
What I am getting at is that just because someone responsible doesnt want to neuter their dog having done all the right research and made an educated choice, does not then mean that rescues can knowingly make that same choice when they rehome, with the best research and will in the world we can check out a prospective new home, but people can and do lie and show you what you want to see, and you cannot guarantee that if you dont neuter the dog that it may not end up pregnant or sire to pups. We will not and cannot take that chance, especially with staffies,.

As to the comments regarding the guarantee, my point is that noone can 100% guarantee any dog be that temperament or pedigree or what it will turn out like ultimately so why shouldnt rescues charge a fee just as a breeder does.

A rescue dog shouldnt be a "cheap" dog it should simply be a dog thats wanted.

Rescues often get pedigree dogs in they dont then charge a higher fee for them( or certainly we dont) so no one is actually paying for the dog as such, they are paying a donation to the rescue for the work that they do.
So an 8 week old puppy can sire puppies, this is why a lot of rescues castrate at 8 weeks ???

So you think that Breeders"fees"are the same as the running costs for a rescue then ?? Gosh so take into account the cost of all the health testing I have had done on all my dogs, their vets fees for treatment(not that mine visit the vets much), the cost of keeping my dogs throughout their lives, maintaining my vehicle/premises etc etc as a rescue has to. I've already done over £2,500 on health testing alone.

One rescue(breed specific)I work with charges a set amount for their dogs to defray the kennelling fees, vets fees etc as well as expecting a donation fron the owner giving up the dog(this can be waived for cases were the main thing is to get the dogs out of their situation), the other asks for a donation(no set amount)for their dogs as they have their own kennelling(bulit by donations raised by individuals, breed clubs & Obedience people)so their day to day costs are much lower.

I think at times a lot of people involved in rescue see ALL Breeders as the cause of their problems-they aren't the vast majority of dogs that go into rescue are not pedigree dogs nor are they KC(or any other register)registered, they are the result of being bred for money by puppy farmers, BYB & pet owners & then sold on without care. I know for certain that this is the case for GSDs.

I have always spayed my bitches after they have had their puppies or if they are not going to be bred from as the pros outweigh the cons for them medically, the same cannot be said for dogs at this time.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:54 AM
So an 8 week old puppy can sire puppies, this is why a lot of rescues castrate at 8 weeks ???

So you think that Breeders"fees"are the same as the running costs for a rescue then ?? Gosh so take into account the cost of all the health testing I have had done on all my dogs, their vets fees for treatment(not that mine visit the vets much), the cost of keeping my dogs throughout their lives, maintaining my vehicle/premises etc etc as a rescue has to. I've already done over £2,500 on health testing alone.

One rescue(breed specific)I work with charges a set amount for their dogs to defray the kennelling fees, vets fees etc as well as expecting a donation fron the owner giving up the dog(this can be waived for cases were the main thing is to get the dogs out of their situation), the other asks for a donation(no set amount)for their dogs as they have their own kennelling(bulit by donations raised by individuals, breed clubs & Obedience people)so their day to day costs are much lower.

I think at times a lot of people involved in rescue see ALL Breeders as the cause of their problems-they aren't the vast majority of dogs that go into rescue are not pedigree dogs nor are they KC(or any other register)registered, they are the result of being bred for money by puppy farmers, BYB & pet owners & then sold on without care. I know for certain that this is the case for GSDs.I have always spayed my bitches after they have had their puppies or if they are not going to be bred from as the pros outweigh the cons for them medically, the same cannot be said for dogs at this time.
With respect to you, its your choice to breed, rescues are picking up the pieces from irresponsible (in the main) BYB, puppy farms and irresponsible owners as you said and to enable them to do that they have to generate some sort of income. I said before, the spaying/neutering/vaccs/chips etc cost a lot more than the donation asked for and everyone involved are volunteers, we don't earn anything out of it.

I have no problem with responsible breeders, as such they should be responsible for any pups previously sold if theres a problem BUT in the current climate i don't think breeding is necessary

Its people like my cousin who has just let her patterdale terrier mate and is now in pup, but thats ok she says because she has homes for them all i know for a fact she won't take on any pups if anything happens with the homes, so the sad reality is that some will probably end up in rescue and some will probably end up being bred from too, and so it goes on
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

If you work with rescue you shouldn't need to ask this question. Why should it cost money ? Plenty of research can be done for free or little cost.

Criteria for what ?
It is BECAUSE I have worked with a rescue that I am asking.

I know what we did and I know the result.

If you are going to make that sort of statement then you must have some sort of idea how you would carry out an in depth investigation of prospective adopters and also what your criteria would be for accepting them.

Can you explain what research you would do and how it would be cost free.

Thanks

rune
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 01:12 PM

I think at times a lot of people involved in rescue see ALL Breeders as the cause of their problems-they aren't the vast majority of dogs that go into rescue are not pedigree dogs nor are they KC(or any other register)registered, they are the result of being bred for money by puppy farmers, BYB & pet owners & then sold on without care. I know for certain that this is the case for GSDs.

I have always spayed my bitches after they have had their puppies or if they are not going to be bred from as the pros outweigh the cons for them medically, the same cannot be said for dogs at this time.
8 week old puppies - no but at what point should the rescue then intervene to ensure that the puppy they rehomed has been done., do you honewstly think rescues have the time to go back and forth and check to make sure they have been neutured - what age is the right age, what if in the interim the owners do allow the dog to mate or be caught in season?

There arent that many young puppies castrated as we mostly get them in at adolescent stage when the problems start and in the ones that I have heard been done it hasnt seemed to have made noticeable difference in the temperament or development of said dogs.

As to breeder costs - thats your choice to breed, therefore your choice to take on those costs, rescue are picking up the pieces of someone elses choice.

As to being against breeders, I at no point said that, i am all for responsible, registered and ecxcellent breeders who homecheck and investigate all the puppy owners, but again in my breed they are a bit lacking on the ground,

Even the supposedly "good ones " are reluctant to take back their dogs,
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Some great points in this thread guys - on both sides.

I can't say I know the answers, but do think things are not working quite as well as they could be - perhaps by people saying why rescues put them off might help in fine-tuning things? Surely feedback is always good?

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Azz, sorry but the whole fundraising thing is a huge issue, we couldnt possibly rely on the new owners doing a sponsored walk as the basis of their payment, we have huge costs, kenneling fees, medical bills, advertising etc and as \greyhound says the adoption fee barely covers that.

We charge a fair adoption fee, yet you still get the odd person asking to pay it up !! ( which we dont allow for obvious reasons)

Ultimately some people do see rescue dogs as the "cheap" option of getting hold of a breed they want, and will say anything to get that dog, therefore we must neuter the dogs to ensure that if for any reason that dog did end up in a situation less desirable ( which lets face it does occasionally happen) then at least it cant breed or be bred from to add to the problem'

Bearing in mind I am talking about staffies predominantly we just cannot take the fate of the 20 +staffies PTS every single day down to just having nowhere to go as people dont want staffies. Its that simple, how many times have we heard on here people coming on saying which breed would suit me ... I will have anything BUT a staffie.

We simply MUST neuter every dog as part of the problem with staffies is the overbreeding ( many from pretty bad example of the breed also), and just the vast quantities in rescue and being dumped daily.

I am sorry but I cant trust anyone who wont neuter their staffie yet claims to understand the problem they face presently. ( as per Rips post!)

Sal, I am not by any means saying that if you own a unneutered dog that you are irresponsible, moreso that for the MAJORITY who do, how many of them are making a conscious researched decision like you are/have and understand the risks that you then face with unneutered dogs in park etc, dogs in season and prepared to deal with that, and how many just havent bothered to get their dog done ( or the classic male response which tends to fall under " I am not getting his bits off")

I have to go along the lines of most people dont consider it, we on dogsey are the minority it seems not the majority !

Or certainly in my experience on what we get into rescue we are.

I wish I had a dogsey home for every dog we get in, we would rehome alot more.

Our dogs are just not moving at the moment, people just dont want staffies, and those that do are the ones we dont want to give to them.

Danni, I don't know the answers - I can just give you my feedback and come up with suggestions that I think might serve you better. I don't think there's any good in 'arguing' our opposite sides either, but as two parties in a 'transaction' we need to look at what the other is not happy about - otherwise it's a stalemate and that won't do the dogs any good.

Charging people

Why not trial something like this. Get a £100 deposit and let the adopters know that you run a scheme where all adopters agree to do a sponsored walk with their new dog - and so long as you raise more than £100 you get the deposit back. You could do it online so people make donations directly to you.

Why? How many people will exceed £100? How many people will say please keep the deposit as well? It's a win win in my view. Either way you get the needed money, people don't feel like they are 'buying' the dog and chances are you could end up with double

I'm not sure what the answer is to the vetting procedure or neutering - but, as a rescue it is in your own best interest to find out what is putting people off, and what you can do to change that, whilst trying to keep in mind the problems you foresee, and maybe seeing how you can get that message across too.

The main thing that would put me off personally, is the insistence of neutering a male dog. And while I don't like the idea of a rescue being a 'transaction' or having to be 'judged' by a homecheck I could live with it - for the sake of the dog.

I think overall, at the mo, for most people, rescuing doesn't really feel like rescuing. Personally I would think the most important thing is finding a good, forever home for a dog - every thing else comes after that. But that's my opinion and I'd be the first to agree I may not be getting things from the rescues point of view (although I think I have tried to).
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Some great points in this thread guys - on both sides.

I can't say I know the answers, but do think things are not working quite as well as they could be - perhaps by people saying why rescues put them off might help in fine-tuning things? Surely feedback is always good?

Danni, I don't know the answers - I can just give you my feedback and come up with suggestions that I think might serve you better. I don't think there's any good in 'arguing' our opposite sides either, but as two parties in a 'transaction' we need to look at what the other is not happy about - otherwise it's a stalemate and that won't do the dogs any good.

Charging people

Why not trial something like this. Get a £100 deposit and let the adopters know that you run a scheme where all adopters agree to do a sponsored walk with their new dog - and so long as you raise more than £100 you get the deposit back. You could do it online so people make donations directly to you.

Why? How many people will exceed £100? How many people will say please keep the deposit as well? It's a win win in my view. Either way you get the needed money, people don't feel like they are 'buying' the dog and chances are you could end up with double

I'm not sure what the answer is to the vetting procedure or neutering - but, as a rescue it is in your own best interest to find out what is putting people off, and what you can do to change that, whilst trying to keep in mind the problems you foresee, and maybe seeing how you can get that message across too.

The main thing that would put me off personally, is the insistence of neutering a male dog. And while I don't like the idea of a rescue being a 'transaction' or having to be 'judged' by a homecheck I could live with it - for the sake of the dog.

I think overall, at the mo, for most people, rescuing doesn't really feel like rescuing. Personally I would think the most important thing is finding a good, forever home for a dog - every thing else comes after that. But that's my opinion and I'd be the first to agree I may not be getting things from the rescues point of view (although I think I have tried to).
by most people rescuing doesnt feel like rescuing do you mean JOe public ?

As a rescue we feel like we are a rehoming service alot of the time, as the dogs are coming majority of the time in an ok condition just either badly trained and with useless owners who just dont care, obviously you get your cruelty cases and you get the ones like \I mentioned previously of people just gettign rid of their old and ill dogs, but from the publics point of view i DONT see how they dont think they are "rescuing"

If they didnt step up who is to say where the dog would end up and how long it would be in kennels...

I dont really get the negative aspect that seems to be associated with rescue....

I would always rescue and the neutering stance would not put me off, bruno came to me neutered already at 18months but no idea when it was done, and other than his HD he is a healthy boy at
nearly 11, so I see no reason for me to question it.

I would always have a bitch done as I would never ever breed.

So who do you mean when you say people dont feel they are rescuing.

People dont rescue staffies because of the way the breed is misrepresentated not because we are a bad rescue with harsh policies ! Part of our remit is to ensure we change the public perception of staffies
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »