Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Right, because blanket policies will automatically prevent people from lying? People won't tell rescues the dog will only be left for a few hours and then go back to full time work once assessments are over will they? This isn't about having policies in place for the benefit of the dogs, it's about having a policy in place because of their own prejudice which is quite simply wrong.

I don't want or expect anything from them. I think their policy is shocking, I've told them so and I'm expressing my opinion on a thread about their rescue. Forums are for discussion are they not???

I personally think if they have time to do home checks then it wouldn't take much more time to fully assess and get a feel for people. If after a proper assessment I was turned down I'd be happy to accept that, at least it would be based on actual events/evidence not pathetic stereotyping based on their own small mindedness.
I personally think that you have very little idea about rescue organisations or the way they function and how their time/resources are stretched.

Perhaps a way forward would be for you to volunteer at one---then you might get to realise why the policies are in place.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Shame these people didn't have enough about them to go down other routes to rehome a dog. It doesn't have to come from a big organisation to 'qualify' as a rescue and give you the feel good factor.

Still---they gave a pup a decent home which is also important.

rune
Oh they did, with similar results, a few knock backs is enough to make people wonder why they bother, and who can blame them? They're trying to do the right thing and offer a needy dog a home only to be told "you can't because you're not married", "you can't you've got a young child", "you can't because we've automatically labelled you irresponsible for not neutering your dog". Crazy.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I personally think that you have very little idea about rescue organisations or the way they function and how their time/resources are stretched.

Perhaps a way forward would be for you to volunteer at one---then you might get to realise why the policies are in place.

rune
Who said I haven't volunteered? You're not judging me based on these posts and these posts alone are you rune?

Hmmmm, that sounds familiar......
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Right, because blanket policies will automatically prevent people from lying? People won't tell rescues the dog will only be left for a few hours and then go back to full time work once assessments are over will they? This isn't about having policies in place for the benefit of the dogs, it's about having a policy in place because of their own prejudice which is quite simply wrong.
Of course their policies aren't foolproof... I think it would be naive for anyone to think that. But they can still do the best they can, at the time the dog is being rehomed. If that's the way you want to look at it, then the same can be said for anyone who gives someone an animal...

You believe what you want, but I think that is an awful comment to make, given that these are people who do their very best to save the lives of many dogs, many of them dedicate their lives to doing it... I don't for one minute think they are 'just' being prejudice. I think it is ALL for the sake of the dogs, and not just the dogs they are rehoming but to the wider population of dogs. If you think it is prejudice then that is your opinion, but I don't think it is fair to say that they don't have those prejudices for the benefit of the dogs.

I have said before that I think some rescues have the neuter policy in an attempt to get people to neuter their existing animals, and that it is (in their opinion) the best thing for all involved.

I don't want or expect anything from them. I think their policy is shocking, I've told them so and I'm expressing my opinion on a thread about their rescue. Forums are for discussion are they not???
Where did I say forums are not for discussion??? Must have missed me typing that bit.

You don't want or expect anything from them... hrm, so how do you suppose they would decide if you are responsible?... I guess you don't since you don't want anything from them.

I'm sure they have had many people expressing their opinions on the neuter policy but they are a successful rescue, so I am sure they are happy with the things they are doing, and the policies they have in place. If they didn't, I am sure they would change them.

I personally think if they have time to do home checks then it wouldn't take much more time to fully assess and get a feel for people. If after a proper assessment I was turned down I'd be happy to accept that, at least it would be based on actual events/evidence not pathetic stereotyping based on their own small mindedness.
So, you want them to take the time to do a home check AND spend some quality time with the potential owner to see how responsible they are I don't think spending that amount of time would give a rescue an idea of how responsible someone is...

You might see it as small mindedness, but I am sure they, and many others, do not.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Oh they did, with similar results, a few knock backs is enough to make people wonder why they bother, and who can blame them? They're trying to do the right thing and offer a needy dog a home only to be told "you can't because you're not married", "you can't you've got a young child", "you can't because we've automatically labelled you irresponsible for not neutering your dog". Crazy.
I will be honest and say I am shocked to hear that... I easily rehomed a dog with young children in the house, and I know of single people who rehomed from the same, and other rescues... I wouldn't have thought it would have been a 'blanket policy' for many rescues.

The neuter one does seem to be more common.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 11:38 PM
What may seem ridiculous, could have very valid reasons behind them, for example:

My Sister was turned down because she had a child under 5.
Very young children and dogs often don't mix - obviously many do. Look at this from the rescue's point of view, why take the risk not only of the dog 'bouncing', but a child being hurt and parents who thought they were making a good choice vowing never to own a dog again.

A good friend was turned down as she wasn't married (and that's AFTER they let her choose a dog from the centre).
How far down the road did this go? At what point did they find out she wasn't married? Not all reasons given are the only reason and, I suspect, often the most 'acceptable' reason is given for why the rescue centres feel they cannot home a dog to any particular person. For example, does your friend work long hours? Is she young with an active social life that could lead to the dog being left alone some nights as well as during the day while she works? Can she afford the dog? Does she have secure housing arrangements? Many, many reasons other than 'unmarried' may have been there, but the 'easiest' reason given??

Another friend was refused because she has an entire male Cocker. They went to a breeder and bought another little male Cocker, both of which get on brilliantly together 3 years later.
always a difficult one, but the rescue centres carrying this type of policy must have their reasons for it being in place. I think we have to realise that they see many (too many) unwanted animals and so naturally want to take every precaution in respect of upholding their belief that any possibility of expanding an already exploding population is wise to avoid. Maybe just their way of getting the message across that there are far too many unwanted dogs already without adding more. Harsh for the person wanting to adopt, but perhaps their way of publicising what those 'into' dogs/pets know already.

I could list more, all of which are ridiculous, stereotypical reasons for refusing people a rescue dog an excellent home. Not good reasons, just prejudice.
Looking beyond the 'I/my friend/my relative' etc, what may seem ridiculous etc reasons, I suspect, are far from ridiculous. For someone who hates prejudice in all its forms, your posts do seem to indicate one mighty prejudice against rescue centres working had to ensure that the dogs that pass through their doors go to good homes

Like I said, essentially it makes no difference to me, I just can't help but feel they could do things so much better by opening their minds a little. It will be the dogs that lose out at the end of the day, whether we actually see it or not. Less homing means less space which equals more animals being PTS. It's that simple.
I imagine that rescue centre policies have developed over time according to their experiences of homing dogs. I also imagine that the rescue centres believe that their policies ensure that dogs go to appropriate loving homes and that they lessen the risk of dogs bouncing back and forth, each time developing more and more problems until they are eventually unhomable (sorry, probably a made up word). It really is that simple
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I really don't see why many tears cant adapt their rehoming policy...if they KNOW the dog they are rehoming is neutered, why should it matter if potential homes have entire dogs in the house? It shouldn't. I can understand with the rehoming of puppies that are too young to neuter but then again they wont even rehome males to households that are all male.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Who said I haven't volunteered? You're not judging me based on these posts and these posts alone are you rune?

Hmmmm, that sounds familiar......
I would be very surprised if you had---for the majority of people the problems become obvious once they have seen them at first hand----however I suppose there are always exceptions.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I really don't see why many tears cant adapt their rehoming policy...if they KNOW the dog they are rehoming is neutered, why should it matter if potential homes have entire dogs in the house? It shouldn't. I can understand with the rehoming of puppies that are too young to neuter but then again they wont even rehome males to households that are all male.
They see too much over breeding and indiscriminate breeding----too many people say they will not use their dog to breed and end up doing just that.

They simple don't want to home to people like that. It is after all their choice.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Of all my dogs through life that have been rescues only one came from a rescue organisation! Not counting a couple of oldies and a few fosters.

All the rest have come through various other channels. It isn't rocket science to find a dog needing a home! Of course it gets more difficult if you want a particular kind of dog. It also gets more difficult if you have a child because the onus is on YOU to decide if that dog will be good with your child and it is YOU that are landed with the dog if it goes wrong. If you go through a rescue you can hand the dog back and wash your hands of it.

That is the only reson I can think of for not rehoming privately and rescueing a dog that way..

rune
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »