Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Have to disagree with you regarding Obedience being judged on a BC work lines, it developed from Service dogs trials(now called Working Trials)& developed for GSDs originally. I certainly do not judge nor set my tests for Collies, I set them to test the partnership between handler & dog & frequently have non collies placed & winning my classes.

In the USA as with FCI obedience the tests are set-there is no deviation allowed-no individuality allowed for the judges-so no matter who is judging the test is exactly the same. You are not allowed to give commands other than at the start of heel work & when instructed to by the steward.

Many people abroad prefer the UK Obedience, because of the variation allowed within the rules. A lot of people who do not know me think I am a "Collie"judge when in fact I am an Obedience judge whose favourite breed is the GSD & I judge the work & not the"style"nor the breed(had a Staffie X win one of my classes & not a collie in sight !)

Collies do well because as Mish has written they can cope with the level of training required, simply because of their original work, the same goes for the GSD. However the most important thing in obedience is the relationship between the handler & the dog & the handler's training ability. I know two super collies who are really hampered by the handler & he's a friend of mine-I long to get my hands on the dogs, but they are his dogs & so I bite my tongue.
Oh---my pet hate-----'hampered by the handler!!!'

Working trials obedience has now changed to accomodate collies, when I was a teenager the h/w was with swinging arms and the dogs looking ahead, not any longer.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

Working trials obedience has now changed to accomodate collies, when I was a teenager the h/w was with swinging arms and the dogs looking ahead, not any longer.

rune
WT Hw is still like that,
OB HW is different, Dog looks at Handler Handler looks the dog, "teamwork"
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
WT Hw is still like that,
OB HW is different, Dog looks at Handler Handler looks the dog, "teamwork"
Last wt I watched had obedience style HW with dog looking at handler. Doesn't it say it should be 'in a natural manner'? I know it used to.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 08:04 PM
yes it does, whats more natural than a dog looking at its handler, if working as a team.

i know some ob competitors that also do WT that teach a completly different HW for WT,. dfferent pace, swinging arms etc
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't think it is that natural but I don't mind agreeing to differ!

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 10:45 PM

rune
I never swung my arms when I did WT & my first competing dog got her CD Ex, UD Ex doing heelwork the same way she & I did in Obedience(with no commands of course)I only retired her as she would have had to do the full size scale in WD upwards despite only being 14 1/2 inches at the shoulder & yes she was a BC(albeit a very small one !)& we were working C & ticket only at the time !!

. Heel Work.—The Judge should test the ability of the dog to keep its shoulder reasonably close to the left knee of the handler who should walk smartly in a natural manner at normal, fast and slow paces through turns and among and around persons and obstacles. The halt, with the dog sitting to heel and a “figure of eight” may be included at any stage. Any act, signal or command or jerking of the lead which in the opinion of the Judge has given the dog unfair assistance shall be penalised. Extra commands shall be permitted in the Introductory Stake. Where required the lead should be of a slip type or attached to a smooth collar or slip chain. Retractable leads or head collars are not to be used.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 08:01 AM
What year was that? I may have seen you!

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 11:17 AM
What year was that? I may have seen you!

rune

In 1974 to 1975 !!!!!!
GSDUK
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Dyane's walking style now is very different....more of an amble than a swift walk...lol

(Moves quickly out of the way from being whacked)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
In 1974 to 1975 !!!!!!
ok, that explains that then---I was slightly before that. Had been teaching for three years then. 60's was more the era I was involved.

rune
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »