View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Maybe if you are taking the dogs, you should always lobby the councils etc? Surely you should be writing to them, telling them, with pictures of the dogs you rescue and a vet report?
To just take the dogs, makes it far too easy for the puppy farmers as far as I can see. Something needs to be done to balance it. For every dog you take there is a young dog in the sidelines who's life will be hell. That will continue until something is done...as the rescuer, you are in the best position to lobby the council and get other agencies involved.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
If we lobby them she wont give us the ex breeders then they are shot or drowned.
And the councils know where they are and the conditions they are in they have known for years and years.
And its not every dog we take a young one takes it place its when they finish wether we take or not a young one will replace its the people buying them that need to stop.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 08:01 PM
But if you don't give the info then the practices can and do continue....
The dogs will be replaced, not necessarily by the same breed of dog, but they will be replaced...so I do think the rescues that take these on need to compile information about the puppy farms and feed it to the powers that be. They also need to use the information to educate puppy buyers.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I have said a few times the powers that be know where they are.
And would be easier for people like you to lobby the Welsh authoritys but they dont seem to give a hoot only way it will stop is if people stop buying.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I don't think it should just be said 'it happens and they need a home'...thats like buying a pup from a puppy farm surely? They need homes too...but to buy them perpetuates the trade.
If these exbreeders are rescued, surely it should coincide with something to STOP them being replaced by a younger, fitter dog?
Ramble we had another thread like this where someone compared rescues to puppy farmers

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...puppy+farm er

What would you suggest - that these dogs are just abandoned, shot, drown whatever? There would always be another dog to take its place.

These places are not illegal - the power that be know where they are - hell the Welsh assembly were subsidising these places at one time.

Do you know that the rescues are NOT trying to educate the farmers or do something about it?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Kcjacks I hope you don't mind if I say somthing about a matter which concerns me greatly. Do you know why they are called ex breeders, are they past their best as far as breeding is concerned

While is is a noble gesture to give these poor little dogs a loving home saving them from heaven knows what fate, it does however pose the question do other dogs take their place to become 'ex breeders' in their own right. What about the puppies being produced by the breeder dogs before they become ex's, where are they destined for.
If people need to be passing dogs off as ex breeders they shouldn't be breeding at all.

Whoever accepts these ex breeders must know where they have come from, surely evidence should be gathered to close the people who create them down. Why don't the rescues who accept these dogs go to the press and make a big fuss.

Although my heart would want me to take these dogs, my head would tell me not to because I might be helping to perpetuate a chain of misery
So your head would tell you to let them just get on with it - kill the ones used up and replace anyway? How does that help.

These places are doing nothing illegal - can you tell me what you know about what the rescues are doing to get them made illegal - do you really think they are just taking these dogs and not doing everything they can to stop it without causing more dogs suffering?

How did I know this was going to here again
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
This is my concern also - and a concern i have with a certain rescue centre who certainly do a wonderful job but by taking in the no longer neededs of the puppy farmers, are tehy not just making it very easy for them to house new, more profitable breeding machines and allowing the "breeders" to shirk any responsibility ...

Puppies look adorable I want one lOL
So can I ask are you concerned with certain rescues who take on exracing greyhounds?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I think KC is giving enough of her time to the cause, if you know what I mean. Of course, these puppy farms need closing down and the owners prosecuted but that is not going to happen is it. So we have to be real.

This thread (whether intended or not) is looking like KC is not getting the backing she deserves on the wonderful job she and others are doing out there. I think that is very unfair

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it's as if one or two members are saying that she's aiding the Puppy Farmers by taking their dead wood off their hands - so to speak, so that the Puppy Farmers can replace them with younger breeding machines. If KC or another rescue didn't take the ex-breeders, then what would happen to them? I dread to think
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
The rescues that take the dogs on, should IMO, have full vet checks done and those reports should be sent to the powers that be. they should be bombarded with the information. I haven't got that info, only the rescues have.

CC....if the puppy farmers know there is a rescue willing to take the dogs off their hands, the dogs become even more disposable as it isn't even costing them the price of a bullet or injection. I know that sounds awful...but it's true. The dogs are more disposable because they can just be given away, no matter what condition they are in.
I do not have an answer for it...aside from the idea that the rescuers should be rwecording everything and having indepth vet reports done as soon as the dogs are given to them. Those vet reports should be sent to everyone who may be able to do something, the councils, the government, dog wardens, RSPCA. It isn't good enough to say 'they know already' as that is just brushing the problem to one side...you need to be on them all the time. I can't do that...I don't have the information to hand.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I admire rescuers...but this does make me uncomfortable have to say. I don't think the dogs should just be taken from the puppy farmers without information being compiled and a lot of lobbying done.
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »