Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I have two questions on this:

1. How is it any different (on the dog) to fostering?
If the dog is chosen by several families in a short space of time he could find himself having several trials with different people in a short space of time. The most suitable fosterer is generally found to ensure the dog isn't moved backwards and forwards between people.

2. What's the difference between doing this and getting a "get out clause" and doing it and then giving it back after a few months because it hasn't worked out?
I guess you can't plan for everything, but I would hope the resuce would spot that sort of family and run a mile from them!
Shouldn't rescue centres be aiming at getting it right first time and doing everything possible to achieve that?
Absolutely, but putting dogs out on trials isn't the answer imo, I can't see what a trial would achieve as you wouldn't get a correct idea of what the dog is like in such a short space of time anyway!

Sorry, that's a third question isn't it ;o)
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
The dogs is in foster as the alternative would probably be quite grim. Dogs settle in there foster homes so the last thing you would want is to send of on a "trial" and for the poor dog to settle in a home only for a change of heart and then be returned.
Also you run the risk of the dog coming back with issues that it may not of had.
And I want to see a firm commitment from people who adopt our dogs not them being half hearted.
Thing is Pidge people like you are seeing it from the adopters side whilst some of us put the dogs needs first.

We do aim at getting it right 1st time Pidge which is why we have a tried and tested method we stick to.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Only in certain circumstances and certainly not made common knowledge that anyone can 'try before you buy' so to speak, but if someone say already has a couple of dogs and felt an hour (or less, have never been directly through a rescue?) introduction at the centre was not enough to determine whether or not their dogs will get on for life then at their and the rescues discretion a trial would be a good idea. Just because 2 dogs don't fight doesn't mean they will get on. And even if 2 dogs have a wee spat, doesn't mean they won't turn out to be best buds.

Most of you know what dogs I have and when I fostered Bear alongside my own dogs they took a long time to accept him. He, however, as easy going as he is had no problem at all. He settled in right away, he was himself as he is to this day within a week. His temp was exactly what you would expect of an 8 week old pup, only in the body of a 10-12 month old male rot, and my lot were weary of that as is to be expected.

I had him for 4 months and in that time my dogs learned to accept him but the relationship between them and him and them and each other was very different. Now before anyone says, 'oh yes but 4 months isn't enough time to build up a bond'...Star was accepted immediately into the pack, within the hour everyone was was acting as if she'd been here forever and even now, she's been here a month and they are all very close to her and she is to them and they are often found all squeezed into one bed despite there being one each. Maddy will step in if she thinks Charlie is playing a bit too rough with her, and lots of little things which show they enjoy each other and or not merely tolerating each other.

When I have my mum's elderly lurcher over to stay she tolerates my lot and enjoys her peace, they don't have that bond.

My point, after all this drivel is, that although 2 dogs don't fight on a meeting doesn't mean they are going to be perfect for each other and when you have more than one other dog to consider already I think it's important (in my eyes anyway) that they do grow to have a bond with one another.

After I got Maddy I did consider my next dog would be from breed rescue but after she turned out the way she did I knew fine well she would only ever accept a puppy, she would have never accept an adult and bond with them how she has my other 2 and having Bear proved that.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
The dogs is in foster as the alternative would probably be quite grim. Dogs settle in there foster homes so the last thing you would want is to send of on a "trial" and for the poor dog to settle in a home only for a change of heart and then be returned.
Also you run the risk of the dog coming back with issues that it may not of had.
And I want to see a firm commitment from people who adopt our dogs not them being half hearted.
Thing is Pidge people like you are seeing it from the adopters side whilst some of us put the dogs needs first.

We do aim at getting it right 1st time Pidge which is why we have a tried and tested method we stick to.
Without turning this into another dead end thread, when you had those wee GSD pups (correct me if I am wrong) I could have sworn you then made a post saying you'd had a swap and got Whoopi's litter sister from another fosterer?

"Now Whoopi has recovered and gone of to her new home I have her sister Skye from the other foster mum who had the other half of the litter.
She is such a sweety and house trained
She already has a viewing tomorrow at 7"

Why would you upset her again taking her from another fosterer to your house and then onto a new home, why didn't she just stay with her first fosterer 'til she was rehomed, especially as she had so much interest it's not like she was going to be there for a really long time? Is there a reason she was passed about rather than staying in the one place? If not is this not the pot calling the kettle...
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think there is a lot of pros and cons, I think on the whole no, Im sure most rescues will take the dog back if things dont work out, so its not like taking the dog home means your stuck with it if it turns into a nighmare,
But there will always be the exception to the rule, so I wouldnt rule it out,

I would be worried about the holiday dog owners with a trial period, Im sure some sickos would see it as a way to have a dog for a week or so then give it back, so people would poss go into it knowing they dont have to dedicate themself fully
OK this is getting silly now maybe something to do with having me 'lumps' removed but Im agreeing with Shona as well although I would say all good rescues will insist that you take the dog back if there are problems.

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
The first question I would have to ask is why the trial was being requested. Secondly I would have to ask that if a trial was being requested, then perhaps the hopeful adopters are not commited to enough to take the dog on anyway?

It can take rescue dogs upto 6 months to fully settle in (ime) I can't see that having a dog for a few days would achieve much more than several outside visits at the rescue centre with a lot less stress for the dog to boot.

There are many, many rescue dogs out there that aren't broken and don't need to be fixed (I had two of them, oh alright, one and a half! ), but they will always need more commitment than a well bred 8 week old pup due to the circumstances they find themselves in. Unless you're willing to be flexibile then I think an older resuce dog is the wrong option tbh.

Top post!

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I have two questions on this:

1. How is it any different (on the dog) to fostering?

2. What's the difference between doing this and getting a "get out clause" and doing it and then giving it back after a few months because it hasn't worked out?

Shouldn't rescue centres be aiming at getting it right first time and doing everything possible to achieve that?
Sorry, that's a third question isn't it ;o)
Its very different to fostering IMO - what do you do when you foster? For me its more about assessing a dog, seeing how they interact with my pack, seeing how they are in the home - loads of things really! Its also not about the long term keeping - this dog is going to move on to the best possibly home for it, not just how is it in my home.

Can I ask what you think rescues are doing if not trying to get it right first time? Dont know about the rescues you are involved in but the ones I have worked with are certainly trying to get it right first time and dont want to do the try before you buy thing.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Without turning this into another dead end thread, when you had those wee GSD pups (correct me if I am wrong) I could have sworn you then made a post saying you'd had a swap and got Whoopi's litter sister from another fosterer?

"Now Whoopi has recovered and gone of to her new home I have her sister Skye from the other foster mum who had the other half of the litter.
She is such a sweety and house trained
She already has a viewing tomorrow at 7"

Why would you upset her again taking her from another fosterer to your house and then onto a new home, why didn't she just stay with her first fosterer 'til she was rehomed, especially as she had so much interest it's not like she was going to be there for a really long time? Is there a reason she was passed about rather than staying in the one place? If not is this not the pot calling the kettle...
Her father had a stroke so Skye would of been left all day so needed to be moved ASAP
And what a bitchy observation
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Her father had a stroke so Skye would of been left all day so needed to be moved ASAP
I'm afraid it might be a case of treat others as you yourself would like to be treated.........
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Not really, you never mentioned that in the OP so how is anyone else meant to know? I only remember as I recall wondering the same thing and thinking it odd but kept it to myself at the time.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Difference is I am out there helping not sat on the internet hindering
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Should breeders?
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »