Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:26 AM

Cold/Dead Tail - Limber Tail

Well it seems my poor Maxy has Limber Tail - tail limply hanging down - does wag it but tentatively and generally letting it hang down. It came on yesterday afternoon? Although he was holding it a bit funny yesterday on our walk in the morning.

Reading up I think possibly it was the huge walk we did Saturday morning followed by the dip in the pond that day or Sunday? When he sniffs his tail does this helicopter action?

Anyway it seems it will start to improve in a few days and by two weeks all be ok? Is it worth getting anti-inflammatories or just let it improve. Am lead walking him as it says rest?

Was going to prob. head to vets if no improvement in a few days.

Just wanted any first hand experiences and any other tips if possible.

Thanks for any advice
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi Rach,

That can be hereditary, both Leon and Fabey suffer from it in the winter if I'm not careful about keeping their tails and bottom bone dry and warm when they come in from being outside, they also used to get it occasionally if I had bathed them for a show and not dried them properly.

I have been told that it is really painful for them..on par with toothache, so I always gave them some metacam or other painkiller. In fact, my vet used to allow me to keep a supply of Rimadyl for that very reason.

I also think there are varying degrees of it, mine have really suffered but Fabey was definately worse than Leon and would be bad for a few days with it, even to the extent of being off his food, bless him.

Huge hugs for a speedy recovery xxx
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks Sheree - he seems quite happy in himself - eating well and wanting to run (lead exercise only bless him) - first time we have had it I have to say. And not heard of his siblings suffering but will keep an eye and 'dry' a bit more thoroughly from now on.

Someone said its a bit like whiplash for them.

He doesn't seem in too much discomfort but just looks so different without his ten to the dozen wag.

Thanks for the hugs - he loved them - but then he does like a fuss

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Rach,

That can be hereditary, both Leon and Fabey suffer from it in the winter if I'm not careful about keeping their tails and bottom bone dry and warm when they come in from being outside, they also used to get it occasionally if I had bathed them for a show and not dried them properly.

I have been told that it is really painful for them..on par with toothache, so I always gave them some metacam or other painkiller. In fact, my vet used to allow me to keep a supply of Rimadyl for that very reason.

I also think there are varying degrees of it, mine have really suffered but Fabey was definately worse than Leon and would be bad for a few days with it, even to the extent of being off his food, bless him.

Huge hugs for a speedy recovery xxx
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi there - never heard of the term before but my middle boy Rusty has suffered with this a couple of times - normally after we have been to the beach. Rusty is quite a strong swimmer and he is happiest when we are throwing "big" sticks/branches into the sea for him and gets quite carried away.

The first time I didn't know what it was and took him to the vets and they gave him some tablets (can't remember which ones) - the second time I just made sure he got plenty of rest.

Will do a bit of reading up on it now I know a different name for it!!

Hope he is feeling better soon.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Takara's had it a couple of times, the first time she was actually in pain, she couldn't move it at all and kicked up a huge fuss when the vet tried to feel it.

She was given rimadyl which really helped with her recovery. She had painkillers mainly because we had a pup coming to stay and I was worried that if he should jump on her and catch her tail, she would snap.

We didn't need anti inflammatories, but painkillers were certainly worth it imo, but she was in so much pain - even when she was really happy to see my dad, the tail didn't even twitch (I actually thought it was paralysed!)

She's had it once since and it wasn't nearly as bad, she didn't have painkillers and she recovered within a couple of days. It's not nice for them though - try giving him a warm water bottle or heat pad to sleep on

We're careful to avoid it now - her's only occurs after swimming so if she goes and gets very wet, I always make sure the base of her tail is dried thoroughly and if possible, let her sleep in front of the fire for a bit.

Edit to add: I was told after they've had it once, they're more likely to get it again, so it's worth being careful x

Hope he's feeling better soon!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Never heard it called Limber tail...

Heard of it being called Swimmer's tail
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post

thats what I have heard it call, and think this is the first time I have heard it actually hurts? I was under the impression this was a fairly painfree problem, just the dog looses its street cred for a while lol.

Mo
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
thats what I have heard it call, and think this is the first time I have heard it actually hurts? I was under the impression this was a fairly painfree problem, just the dog looses its street cred for a while lol.

Mo
I don't know about other breeds, but its quite common with the English setters, can be seen a fair bit at the shows and people still insist in showing their dogs, it really is very painful and will make them jump when the judge tries to go over them.

I wonder if the English Setters have a lower pain threshold than other breeds, or maybe there is another reason. Out of the 13 I had at one time it was only Leon and Fabey that had it more than twice, Bailey had it once, many years ago, and Bradley had it once last winter. All of them had to go to the vets for a fast acting injection, and take pain killers as it was that bad
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Irish Setter Mu View Post
Hi there - never heard of the term before but my middle boy Rusty has suffered with this a couple of times - normally after we have been to the beach. Rusty is quite a strong swimmer and he is happiest when we are throwing "big" sticks/branches into the sea for him and gets quite carried away.

The first time I didn't know what it was and took him to the vets and they gave him some tablets (can't remember which ones) - the second time I just made sure he got plenty of rest.

Will do a bit of reading up on it now I know a different name for it!!

Hope he is feeling better soon.
Thank you - he actually seems pretty happy in himself and not in too much pain so hoping rest and bit of tlc - have given him some arnica which was suggested by a friend.

Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Takara's had it a couple of times, the first time she was actually in pain, she couldn't move it at all and kicked up a huge fuss when the vet tried to feel it.

She was given rimadyl which really helped with her recovery. She had painkillers mainly because we had a pup coming to stay and I was worried that if he should jump on her and catch her tail, she would snap.

We didn't need anti inflammatories, but painkillers were certainly worth it imo, but she was in so much pain - even when she was really happy to see my dad, the tail didn't even twitch (I actually thought it was paralysed!)

She's had it once since and it wasn't nearly as bad, she didn't have painkillers and she recovered within a couple of days. It's not nice for them though - try giving him a warm water bottle or heat pad to sleep on

We're careful to avoid it now - her's only occurs after swimming so if she goes and gets very wet, I always make sure the base of her tail is dried thoroughly and if possible, let her sleep in front of the fire for a bit.

Edit to add: I was told after they've had it once, they're more likely to get it again, so it's worth being careful x

Hope he's feeling better soon!
Thank you Lottie - sounds like T had it quite bad - Maxy luckily doesn't seem in any pain - he is wagging it a bit. But am keeping an eye on him to make sure it isn't too uncomfortable and if he needs some painkillers then will go to the vets.

I will be more careful and make sure he dries out better and may give him a hot water bottle to sleep on too.

Thanks againf or that Lottie.

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post

Originally Posted by mo View Post

Mo
Can't remember where I was told the name but it is definitely a well known term for it too

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html

As I have said Maxy doesn't seem to be bothered by it but he does look rather sad without his wag!

Will keep all posted and hopefully in a few days he will be wagging away as before.

Thank you all
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Aww, poor Maxy.

No advice to offer, just wanted to say I hope he gets his wag back quickly
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >