View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 06:59 AM

What does anybody think of protection training?

It seems that on other boards the attitude is, if you have a protection type breed of dog, that you should be doing some kind of work with it? I'm all for keeping dog breeds as they were for the most part, but should everybody HAVE to work their dogs? Just curious what others think.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2004, 07:41 AM
I think that Schutzhund (obedience, tracking, and protection) is a great sport - IF the dog has the correct temperament, IF the handler has the correct temperament and attitude, and IF the trainer has the correct temperament, attitude, and the neccessary extensive knowledge of how to train this sport and the ability to evaluate dogs and handlers.

"Trainers" who offer to train a dog in manwork withour instilling the need for absolutely reliable obedience, or who train undisciplined and aggressive, or potentially aggressive, dogs are just putting timebombs into the hands of fools.

Just because a breed of dog was once used for protection work does not mean that it should now be so used. Most dogs, of any breed, will instictively guard their family if they perceive a danger. Why should we need more when there are plenty of ways to keep our 'guarding' breeds happy and fit, both physically and mentally?

Personally I would like to try Schutzhund simply because I believe one of my Boxers could have the temperament required and would enjoy it. The other one takes life a bit too seriously for that sort of work.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2004, 09:33 AM
I think it's really absurd the way some people believe that Babs - I've seen those kind of comment on 'those' boards too. It's like saying all St Bernards should be rescue dogs!

Also it really has nothing to do with them what 'you' or anyone else for that matter, do with your dogs - they're bascially trying to force their opinion onto someone else, which is not on, especially when it is borne out of some weird 'i'm-god-cos-i-breed-these-dogs-and-i-know-best' attitude.

Stick two fingers up to them!
(lol u know i do!)
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 01:32 PM
You know what else I've heard the most? That the majority (and much of the time it sounds like people mean all un PP trained) of protection dogs will not protect their family if need be. They will run away and leave you for dead. That was a real shock to hear. You read so much that mastiffs of all types are the stable kind of dog and they will not bite unless the situation absolutely warrants it, but they will protect their family. It's shocking to hear they won't.

I wonder about what kind of statistics these ideas are based on. Trainers/decoys have seen more dogs run off in the trainer testing situations. But is that a good barometer of ALL of the dogs? How many people actually have their dogs tested? How many people are actually involved in PP work? Not nearly as many as not. So how can that be an accurate assessment if only a fraction of protection instinct dogs have been tested?

I was thinking about doing some hobby tracking with Savannah if she is able to. She seems like a sniffer Shadowboxer, are you going to go to a trainer to learn sch. or try it yourself?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi Babs

I can't speak for any other dogs than those my family have owned.
A Dobe (when I was growing up)
A Staff (My sister in laws)
A Presa (Mine)

The Dobe was very protective of his home and 'pack'
We had a large yard that had a lane to the side of it, if people were walking past 'peeping' over he would go mad at them.
My dad was also one day arguing with a distant relative and when the relative raised his voice the Dog Barked menincingly at the relative and went and stood next to my dad... needless to say the relative shut up!

The Staff barks alot if anyone goes near the house but will play with anyone and everyone, I've heard that she's quite protective of one of the daughters, but dont think she would actually do anything.

The Presa - well hes only six months old at present and we've only had him the last two - but I can see hes already very territorial! a month ago was the first time barked at a stranger, the plumber who came round. He's barked at a 'shadow' at night time. Recently, our cat Cheetah who basically now lives upstaris, sometimes gets her 'claw' stuck in the carpet and she screams when this happens! Well Rocky turns into protector mode! He barks and rushes up straight away to see what's happening, but I've always got there just b4 him so dont know if he's protecting cheetah or thinks shes the threat!
Also a few days ago the lady next door was shouting my name out to get m eto go outside, I went outside but left Rocky in and OH said that he was barking and growling at the door, which tells me he wanted to make sure I was ok...

So there u go an essay from me! None of the dogs have been PP trained and apart from the Staff I dont think any of them would run away if the heat was put on them (especially the Presa).

Hope my 2bobs worth wasnt too boring!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2004, 04:16 AM
No Azz, that's very interesting. Dobes are intimidating in looks alone. I like them I believe many dogs would protect, but I know if you were to post that on a protection board someone would tell you that if they hit the dog it would run or something to that effect. I don't think the studies are inconclusive since they were never formally done. I'd like to think Tigger would stick around if someone attacked me and him.

That's impressive about Rocky. He's so young. Tigger started young too. The Presa that I watched was very quiet and he never really barked at anything. He was very friendly to everyone. Not sure what he would have been like in a threat situation. But according to the many things written on Presa's they do act when you need them to.

** I like the edit feature here. I hit submit when I meant to hit preview and I was able to correct a typo Cool board Azz!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2004, 05:57 AM
I know someone (a private citizen) who was allowed to train their dog with the military in protection work. The result was that the dog, while totally obedient, never relaxed around people. It was always on the alert, ready for the take-down command. Not a very comfortable situation for anyone, including the dog.

Barbara - There are no Schutzhund trainers around here. I could train the tracking & ob. myself, but am nowhere near experienced enough to attempt to train manwork (and I don't think I would get too many hands-up for the part of the bad guy)
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Yes, never attempt to train in man work alone What are the correct temp. and attitude for sch. for the handler and dog? I wanted to do some hobby tracking. The puppy is young, and she seems to sniff an awful lot. I'm not sure if she's cut out for it, but I was going to try. I tried with Tigger. He had no problem sniffing out the snacks I trailed, but he had problems with the show me command. He would eat what he should have showed, lol.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
lol that sounds like Tigger!

glad u like the dit feature Babs!

U could always pay some student to be the 'target' SBoxer!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes, some of my friends and family call Tigger "Pigger." LOL :smt104
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >