View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-09-2006, 07:47 AM

New dog poo'ing when left

Hi everyone. We've had Abby now for 8 weeks and she's settled in fantastically and her and Glazby get on like a house on fire

We've started to encounter a bit of a problem however that I wanted to ask some advice on (though apologies if this is the wrong section).

She has started to poo when we leave her. This isn't every time but I would say maybe at least 1-2 times a week.

She's approximately 4 years old and is a rescue and I wonder if we have to go back to puppy training to make her "go" in the mornings as when we let her out she'll go if she wants to but otherwise she'll just sit patiently at the door.

We don't know if its because she hasn't gone some mornings (some mornings we know that she has and some we know she hasn't so doesn't seem to be a pattern) before we leave or if its a sign of separation anxiety. We keep her and Glazby separate in the daytime with Glazby having the living room and Abby having the hallway and upstairs and our bed!!

Apart from doing our best to make sure that she does a poo before we go out is there anything else I should be thinking about to try and get her to stop this? So far we have totally ignored the behaviour and just cleared it up quietly.

We feed her approximately 40 minutes before we leave the house in the morning - do you think that is too short a time and we should maybe get up earlier and feed her say an hour before we leave?

Any advice??

Hayley.x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2006, 08:28 AM
hi Hayley has this behaviour only just started, has anything changed in the routine recently, have you changed her food, how many meals does she have a day, do you walk her last thing in the morning before leaving her ?
Sorry so many questions
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks Mini. We haven't changed her routine or her food. She has 2 meals a day - breakfast in the morning and dinner in the evening.

They both have a short walk in the mornings but not last thing before we leave - we walk them before their breakfast as we've been told to be careful about exercising straight after food (incase of bloat) and don't have time to feed them, wait half an hour and then walk them as we have to get out to work.

The routine is - we get up and dressed in scruffs - take dogs for a short walk - come home and feed them whilst we are getting dressed - let them out in the garden after breakfast until about 5 minutes before we are ready to leave and then we bring them in and settle them down for the morning.

One thing though - sometimes they are left in the mornings for 3.5hours if I can lunch early and other times its 4 hours. Would that half an hours difference be a possible cause (will have to note now the times I get home to the accidents to see if there is a pattern).

Thanks again!!
Hayley.x
Meg
Supervisor

26-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks Mini. We haven't changed her routine or her food. She has 2 meals a day - breakfast in the morning and dinner in the evening.

They both have a short walk in the mornings but not last thing before we leave - we walk them before their breakfast as we've been told to be careful about exercising straight after food (incase of bloat) and don't have time to feed them, wait half an hour and then walk them as we have to get out to work.

The routine is - we get up and dressed in scruffs - take dogs for a short walk - come home and feed them whilst we are getting dressed - let them out in the garden after breakfast until about 5 minutes before we are ready to leave and then we bring them in and settle them down for the morning.

One thing though - sometimes they are left in the mornings for 3.5hours if I can lunch early and other times its 4 hours. Would that half an hours difference be a possible cause (will have to note now the times I get home to the accidents to see if there is a pattern).

Thanks again!!
Hayley.x
Hi Hayley when I said 'walk' after feed I didn't mean long vigorous exercise just chance to relieve themselves after food /last thing before being left . I see they are going in the garden so do have a chance to do this. For some dogs though a short walk often stimulates deification and I don't know if it would be possible to incorporate a short 5 minute stroll after her food for Abby to see if it makes a difference. Also you could try altering the evening meal and make it say an hour later to see if this has any effect.

The half hour can make a difference, dogs get into a routine. Mine is used to going out for a proper walk just before 8:30am and on the 2 days when I work till 9am with just a brief chance to go out at 6:30 she hates it.
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks again Mini I think that we might struggle a bit with walking her after her breakfast as I'm generally all suited and booted by then.

One idea that the OH had (bless him - he has them occasionally)!! is to maybe feed her at lunchtime and then later in the evening. If we changed her to that routine do you think that might help at all?

In the meantime I'll keep a proper check on whether this behaviour happens when I'm that little bit late home or not. If it is then I'll just make sure that I'm home on time!! Its strange though as they are left a little bit longer in the afternoons and never have any problems then!!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi Hayley, Mini always gives sensible practical advice, doesn't she! Only thing I would add is to ask what he's like about pooing in front of you. Is he quite happy to? Or does he tend to hide away? If the latter, then perhaps he has been conditioned to wait till people are off the scene (by a misguided attempt at housetraining when he was young). In this case, it may well be worthwhile to sho0w him that pooing (outside of course!) while you're around is a profitable exercise by giving him some kind of food reward every time you see him "perform."

Mini, I don't usually pick up on typos, but this one was too good to miss:

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
For some dogs though a short walk often stimulates deification
From dog to God in the time it takes to walk round the block!
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Ooooh thats a good point duboing - Abby is a bit shy about poo'ing infront of people - even on our walks she'll disappear off into the deepest thickest grassed area (often on another side of a ditch) so that she can do it in private.

Bless her - she's a lady!!!

I will make a fuss of her more often once she's 'performed' as you say and hope that this will encourage her.

Thanks for the advice guys - what would we do without Dogsey!!
Meg
Supervisor

26-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Mini, I don't usually pick up on typos, but this one was too good to miss:
From dog to God in the time it takes to walk round the block!
ooops the miracles of a spell checker and trying to answer a few thread quickly when short of time

Yes, a short walk before departing for work and a lot of praise for performing !
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Think my neighbours now think I'm going crazy for standing out in the garden at lunchtime shouting "Good Poos Abby Good Poos"!!!!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Think my neighbours now think I'm going crazy for standing out in the garden at lunchtime shouting "Good Poos Abby Good Poos"!!!!
You do know your dogs are there to strip you of every last shred of dignity..?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >