View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 07:10 AM

Flyball - how to find a club to train with?

we went to a show over at poole at the weekend and my doglet had a first go on a fly ball lane. after a few minutes and lots of praise he got the idea of picking the ball out of the box. he really enjoyed it so i guess its nearly time to find a local club for us. how would you go about doing that and finding a club that is willing to train the dog with us???
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Try contacting the British Flyball Assoc. for clubs near you: http://www.flyball.org.uk/teams/online.php

It is a great sport, although we do it just for fun, not competetive.
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Can any dog compete in the fly ball or does it have to be a pedigree? Cos Bo would be ace at it!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2005, 09:00 AM
If it is a KC sanctioned event then you would need to apply to have your dog put on the Associate Register (check the KC site as I'm not sure if the same terminology applies in the UK). The dog does not have to be a registered pedigree to participate in obedience, flyball, agility, etc., only conformation
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2005, 01:24 PM
erm... never heard of flyball
i would be very gratefull if anyone could explain this sport to me...
thank you soooooo much
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Flyball is essentially a relay race. Dogs independently negotiate 4 hurdles, trigger a box to release a tennis ball ("flyball") which the dog must catch and return to the handler, negotiating the 4 hurdles on return. The next dog then takes its turn. A team can consist of up to six dogs and handlers, but only four compete in each round. The Ball Loader has to ensure a new tennis ball is loaded on each occasion and shouts instructions to the dogs.

The sport is fast and frantic, and of course noisy! All breeds of dogs can take part as the hurdles reflect the height of the smallest dog in the team. However, it is Border Collies that dominate the sport due to their speed, agility and desire to work. My own JRT jake has been doing it for a few months he loves it and is much faster than some of the BC's who dominate the sport
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 05:11 PM
thanks but just scared to make contact as it is nerve racking to meet people who have lots more doggy experience than me
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2005, 05:40 PM
thanx jake
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi,
Blackies mum if you get in touch with your nearest team they are quite likely to be starting a beginners course as it is very nearly the end of the season, don't worry about how much experience you have, everybody has to start somewhere and flyball people are a great, friendly bunch who like nothing better than seeing new dogs and handlers succeed having lots and lots of fun on the way!
Hazel (and Zigg who is sleeping off yesterdays flyball! - see new thread!)
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 06:06 PM
originally posted by Blackie's Mum thanks but just scared to make contact as it is nerve racking to meet people who have lots more doggy experience than me
Don't be! I didn't know anything at all about flyball until jake joined the class! I found it out by accident: the lady who runs Jake's class saw him running on our local field and asked me to take him along as she needed a jrt for her team Everyone is really friendly in our group but even if there not don't be intimidated by ANYONE. Everyone is a beginner when they first start and everyone has to start somewhere.

Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >