Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Those with pp/bite work trained dogs

Today whilst with my GSD I witnessed a rather brutal incident, an elderly lady was punched in the face and mugged of her handbag, the person ran off down a footpath, it all happened very quickly and sadie was off lead, she started to give chase but I stopped her and recalled her to me.

My friend that I was with just could not understand why I hadn't 'deployed' her and got almost hysterical with me!
As I explained to her... Yes it's a horrible thing to happen but I was not about to send my dog after someone that is not my responsibility, for one it could open a whole can of worms with liability for injury etc etc and Two, what am I supposed to do with this mugger until the police arrive, I certainly wasn't going to try and restrain him!

I'm 100% sure what I did was the right thing but just wondered what others would do?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
How terrible I'd of let my dog catch the buggar the bigger the teeth the better, but understand why you recalled, if he could do that to an old lady he would have done anything to a dog, maybe he had a knife you can't know that glad your dog has such good recall But maybe just one hard bite and a ragging would've done him good and left a nice blood trail for the police
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I would NEVER deploy my dog until and unless my life or that of someone else was at risk and there was no other option.

Although the lady was was mugged, her life was not in danger and the thief was running away.

Thus, in law, you could not defend the use of a dog any more than Tony Martin could defend his use of a shotgun on someone who was running away.

I certainly would not put my dog's life at risk, for a handbag.

I know what my dog would do to somebody, and these could be life changing injuries.

Also it could be life changing for my dog.

So, I would have done exactly the same.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Frustrating as it may have been imo you definitely did the right thing.

Aside from risk of injury to your dog, if you had "deployed" your dog you could have been charged, at the insistence of the mugger , with using your dog as an offensive weapon as your dog would not have been acting on its own initiative in defending you while you were actively under attack (even then the DDA could potentially be evoked ).

Police dogs work under legal dispensations and even then the police are not infrequently successfully sued by criminals if the dog and handler do not strictly adhere to the ACPO training guidelines.

Of course whether any of that should be the legal position is another thread........
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
i agree... as tempting as it was to send Tupac after the lads that stole my phone last year...it wasnt worth the risk imo

not that hes pp trained as such... kinda self employed
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
How terrible I'd of let my dog catch the buggar the bigger the teeth the better, but understand why you recalled, if he could do that to an old lady he would have done anything to a dog, maybe he had a knife you can't know that glad your dog has such good recall But maybe just one hard bite and a ragging would've done him good and left a nice blood trail for the police
My point is really that my dog would not just 'bite and rag' lightly she really means business and could potentially do a lot of damage.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I would NEVER deploy my dog until and unless my life or that of someone else was at risk and there was no other option.

Although the lady was was mugged, her life was not in danger and the thief was running away.

Thus, in law, you could not defend the use of a dog any more than Tony Martin could defend his use of a shotgun on someone who was running away.

I certainly would not put my dog's life at risk, for a handbag.

I know what my dog would do to somebody, and these could be life changing injuries.

Also it could be life changing for my dog.

So, I would have done exactly the same.
Agree 100% I would only put her in that situation if I had no other choice (she did wish otherwise though, I think everyone in a mile radius heard my "HERE" command!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 06:46 AM
It must have been very hard at the time with your friend telling you otherwise but you did the right thing for you and your dog, the scumbag could have done all that and then got you done and poss pts of your dog. As satisfying as it would have been it wasn't worth that Hope the old lady is ok.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Absolutely the right thing in my opinion. Not worth risking your dog's wellbeing or you being dragged through a court case - or worst case scenario the thieving beggar being permanently maimed - maiming is not the prescribed punishment for mugging - or your dog being removed from you - for the sake of a HANDBAG.

The unfortunate lady will recover from her injury - someone your dog savaged might not.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 07:04 AM
I think it would have been extremely tempting to let Sadie go and bring down the bad guy, but in reality there is just too much risk of the dog being hurt, seized under the DDA and/or you having to go to court etc.

You made the right choice imo.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Honestly, maybe not the right answer, but I would have personally gave chase with my dogs on lead. Not the right thing to do but dealt with enough shoplifters in my time to handle it myself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >