Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Search & Rescue - air scenting dogs

I am interested in continuing to train Yogi to air scent and to do SAR type training. I say continue because I started this type of air scent training (and human trailing) with him last year and he showed a real aptitude and enjoyment of it.

Initially I have just been hiding myself while hubby holds Yogi (and he sees me leave) - he is such a mummy's boy that he can't stand to see me disappear off up the hill without him and is only too keen to get off after me when released. Hubby has had him on his tracking harness and long line, but I wonder if he would be ok to free search without a line on - as this type of scenting is obviously different to following a track on the ground.

I am now wanting to progress to him finding someone else who he is less bonded too and so not as keen to search for. What is the best way to set this scenario up so that Yogi is keen to search and for the best chance of success for the dog?

Has anyone trained their dog for SAR?

Just to add : This is just for fun for myself and Yogi and to work his body and mind - rather than because we are part of a mountain rescue team
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am interested in continuing to train Yogi to air scent and to do SAR type training. I say continue because I started this type of air scent training (and human trailing) with him last year and he showed a real aptitude and enjoyment of it.

Initially I have just been hiding myself while hubby holds Yogi (and he sees me leave) - he is such a mummy's boy that he can't stand to see me disappear off up the hill without him and is only too keen to get off after me when released. Hubby has had him on his tracking harness and long line, but I wonder if he would be ok to free search without a line on - as this type of scenting is obviously different to following a track on the ground.

I am now wanting to progress to him finding someone else who he is less bonded too and so not as keen to search for. What is the best way to set this scenario up so that Yogi is keen to search and for the best chance of success for the dog?

Has anyone trained their dog for SAR?

Just to add : This is just for fun for myself and Yogi and to work his body and mind - rather than because we are part of a mountain rescue team

1 If you are going to do tracking and SAR then it is vital that you give the dog sufficient information for him to understand what exactly you want him to do. It is unfair to put him on a harness and line (as you do for tracking) and expect him to air scent. So, put him on a different harness if you wish (SAR harnesses are usually breastplate) or none.

2 What does the dog get when he finds you? If you want to have a dog that works with intensity you have to give him a reason to search and for most SAR dogs and sniffer dogs it is because success equals game with their beloved ball.

3 So IF your dog is ball crazy, I would go back to beginning, let your dog see person with ball run to hiding place (very close like just behind a tree) and give him the cue you only use in this circumstance, etc.

Gradually increase the distance, you can go along a hedge.

Once you have the distance then ask him to find a person WITHOUT seeing them go first (very close to you) again increase the distance.

It is the same principle as how we train dogs to search for criminals/helpers!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
1 If you are going to do tracking and SAR then it is vital that you give the dog sufficient information for him to understand what exactly you want him to do. It is unfair to put him on a harness and line (as you do for tracking) and expect him to air scent. So, put him on a different harness if you wish (SAR harnesses are usually breastplate) or none.

2 What does the dog get when he finds you? If you want to have a dog that works with intensity you have to give him a reason to search and for most SAR dogs and sniffer dogs it is because success equals game with their beloved ball.

3 So IF your dog is ball crazy, I would go back to beginning, let your dog see person with ball run to hiding place (very close like just behind a tree) and give him the cue you only use in this circumstance, etc.

Gradually increase the distance, you can go along a hedge.

Once you have the distance then ask him to find a person WITHOUT seeing them go first (very close to you) again increase the distance.

It is the same principle as how we train dogs to search for criminals/helpers!
Brilliant - thanks SB.

I did wonder about using the tracking harness, as I thought he may get confused, but wanted OH to have some control if needed. What do you think about free searching - would that be better with, say, a new SAR type harness on so the dog associates that harness with searching for a person by air scent?

1. Should I use a different line to the tracking one as well as a different harness ... or no line at all? (I am thinking no line at all - and eventually when the distance is increased to a considerable distance then train the dog to keep returning to the handler and then back to the "injured person" to indicate where they are. Is that reasonable?

2. When Yogi finds me (I haven't had him bark yet, but assume I will add this in to the training?) I have a good tuggy ball game with him. He is ball driven so will try what you have suggested at no 3.

Thanks again. I actually really enjoy this type of training - even more so than tracking, so am going to concentrate on this over the winter and see how we go.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Next question - where to buy a SAR harness from? Obviously, as this is just fun for us, I don't need a massively expensive one!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:27 AM
See the £28 one on here,

http://johnhumphris.com/products.asp?cat=27
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Brilliant - thanks SB.

I did wonder about using the tracking harness, as I thought he may get confused, but wanted OH to have some control if needed. What do you think about free searching - would that be better with, say, a new SAR type harness on so the dog associates that harness with searching for a person by air scent?

Yes

1. Should I use a different line to the tracking one as well as a different harness ... or no line at all? (I am thinking no line at all - and eventually when the distance is increased to a considerable distance then train the dog to keep returning to the handler and then back to the "injured person" to indicate where they are. Is that reasonable?

No line at all, some people train the "bringsel" method as in blood tracking ie they take something in their mouth (hanging off their collar) and return to handler etc.

2. When Yogi finds me (I haven't had him bark yet, but assume I will add this in to the training?) I have a good tuggy ball game with him. He is ball driven so will try what you have suggested at no 3.

Thanks again. I actually really enjoy this type of training - even more so than tracking, so am going to concentrate on this over the winter and see how we go.

In SAR dogs are often not encouraged to bark as it could be frightening, but again this is how we train dogs to do the hold and bark in protection, they bark and in return they get the ball.

HTH
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks again - will consider the various "I've found him mum" methods.

Do I need to use a different ball than his regular one as his reward?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:54 AM
No as long as it is the most important thing in his life.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I like the John Humphries one, but quite like the look of this one too ... would it be suitable?

http://hkgear.co.uk/epages/www_hkgea...arness-0001%22
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Don't see why not, just a bit bulky for my taste
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >