Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:03 PM

We've got Chickens!!!!

OH and I went and picked up our new chickens yesterday! We've got 8 hens and 1 cockerel (Sp)! 6 of the Hens and the cockerel, are pedigree's and the other 2 hens are cross breeds! I can't rememer what they all are though, I did get told, several times, but my memory is like a sieve!!

They are settling in really well, they took themselves into the coop this evening, and when OH was counting them to check they were all in, he found our first egg!! It's so exciting!!

The chickens are needing names now, well apart from Gloria, one of the ginger hens!!

Here's the cockerel!

I'm not sure if this one is Gloria, or the un-named Ginger Hen!

Group Shot of the Ladies!

Oh with the First Egg! It's the start of our Chicken Empire!!!!

Hope you enjoy!

x
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:56 AM
loving your chickens

we used to have ex battery hens and they were so sweet

we now have ducks and their eggs are scrummy
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:12 AM
My connection is so slow at the moment so can't see all the pics. Did see the cockeral though - what a beauty.

Well done on the egg! That may have already been in her so you may not get another one for a while. We were given a leghorn and was convinced she was a he, until she layed an egg! It took her quite a while after that to settled down.

We have light sussex hybrids, the leghorn, 1 black rock and 1 bluebell. Getting 3-4 eggs a day, which is not bad going as the light sussex are still fairly young. The leghorn is about 9 years old and has just started laying again this year - doubt we will get many! lol

Sorry for the ramble, just love talking chickens!

Helen

Helen
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2010, 11:13 AM
congrates weve had hen since end of august and have lovely eggs from them and manage to seel a few to help pay for thier pellets havnt got a cock as neighbours woukdnt be too pleased!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 11:55 AM
The chicks are settling in well! Had 2 eggs on the Tuesday morning, and then nothing until yesterday morning, when we had 1 egg!

We've got them some laying pellets now, so will see how it goes!

the cockeral isn't that noisy, the hens make more noise then he does!

They are getting used to us a bit more now too, I go in the pen and they don't run away as fast, and they come closer to me when I am doing stuf in the pen!

x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Great pics - I can't see them all either due to a slow connection, but like what I can see

But, hey! - these hens should be in the rural section

We got some hens and a cockerel about 2+ years ago and have never looked back. I never used to like eggs, but love the ones from our hens We are thinking of getting a few more later this year that will sit, so we can have some chicks.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Oohh... lovely!

The cockerel looks like a Welsummer from the pic - we've got some and they look so pretty and lay lovely eggs
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Nice one

/Moved to the new Rural Talk section/
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Lovely group, we have two cockerals and chickens and I find them so funny....love yours too xxxxx