View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dritchie84
New Member!
Male 

10-02-2018, 06:27 PM

About to adopt just want to verify dog breed. Sheppard / pointer mix.

Like the thread says I just want to verify this is indeed a Sheppard / Pointer mix. I don't see any pictures of them in this color. Just want to know as I have kids and need to know temperament level. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE4CA5B3-AB8D-44FB-86BF-5A7B6AA5D728.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	5890   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D5EB213-13FA-425F-B0CF-AD5E8AB69374.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	5891  
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Um what? How are we supposed to verify breed? None of the people on this forum were present when the breeding took place, no one can verify the breeds of this mix. There isn't a sheppard breed, so that's out. If that is what ther had listed then I wouldn't put much stock in what they say.
The only way to know what this pups breeds are would be to have witnessed the mating or DNA test to get reasonably accurate idea.

Many cases dogs can't accurately be identified by phenotype. A dog can look like neither parent breed or only show traits of one and not the other, ect.
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2018, 08:59 PM
My shepherd mix is that same colour without the white, but I agree with the previous poster. When its a mixed breed, you really cant be 100% sure what breed(s) are there unless you witness the mating or do DNA. We were told our pup is mostly shepherd with a little bit of lab. Can we be 100% sure...no.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Shepherd, the 1st pic looks like could be a GSD mix
2nd pic looks more like a Pit mix

Pick your pup wisely. There no guarantee a certain breed mix will be great match for your kids, it is about the individual dog genetics not all GSD or Pointer have same temp and there is different pointer breeds and different shepherd breeds. It is also dependent on how you train your dog and teach your children.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Dogs are unique individuals ... they do not come in a neat little parcel with washing instructions on the label round their neck. There is no guarantee of a particular temperament even with pedigree dogs ... I cannot see any GSD or pointer in there, not that that means anything ... what I do see is a beautiful individual who may or may not be a good fit in your family. There are no guarantees - which is why there are so many rescues; people often want to buy or take on a particular recipe and it does not very often work like that.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dritchie84 View Post
Like the thread says I just want to verify this is indeed a Sheppard / Pointer mix. I don't see any pictures of them in this color. Just want to know as I have kids and need to know temperament level. Thanks in advance!
If you want gentle temperament, get a Collie.

[IMG][/IMG]
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2018, 10:17 PM
As a rule of thumb that is good advice,but I have known plenty of snappy collies - particularly with children.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2018, 11:00 PM
Yep loads of Collies have iffy temperaments,
So many people come on here asking what breeds their crossbreed is as though there are only 2 breeds involved. It's far more likely that the parents are crossbreeds themselves rather than 2 pure breeds either accidentally or intentionally being bred. Frankly there could be 50 different breeds in her heritage. That doesn't make her any less of a dog but honestly asking the breeds involved is pointless. Just appreciate her for what she is and if family friendly is high priority you'd be better off looking at Companion breeds, it's what they were bred for.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yep loads of Collies have iffy temperaments,
Did you read the little tale I posted about my collie and his twin brother?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
As a rule of thumb that is good advice,but I have known plenty of snappy collies - particularly with children.
Nature v nurture.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >