Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Any Suggestions re Internet Connection?

Oooh, I'm going crazy over my blooming laptop. I've changed from broadband (financial reasons) to dial up, just for the time being.

Now, before I had broadband I used dial up but it wasn't half as slow as I'm experiencing now, nor did it keep crashing on me as it is doing continuously, I may only be on line for a couple of minutes and I get the redial? prompt. Also I keep getting the "can't find server" page, then I try to come right out and go back in again but then can't get a dial tone so, after about an hour spent with just having a couple of minutes on line, I give up.

Can anyone give me some suggestions, could it be my lead that goes into the phone socket? (using the same one that was attached to my bt broadband modem but without the box), could it be my laptop?

I can open peoples threads, albeit very slow but, the minute a photo starts to load my laptop just hangs.

I'm not too bad on the computer but this has really got me foxed.

Anyone that can help me will receive the biggest gold star going.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 08:32 PM
To be honest, it's been that long since we've had dial up, I've gone brain dead. I've emailed my brother to ask for you though and will let you know what he says.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 07:38 AM
It could be that your internet provider has a system that cuts you off after a certain period of time. I'd definitely get in touch to your provider and explain the problems you're having. It could be that they can change the settings or you may need to change to a provider that doesn't do this. Give them a call though, that's probably the best starting point.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the help, I used Orange this time as my friend has broadband with them and reckoned they were better than BT. I'll try contacting them and see what they can advise, I may try also going back on BT, I was with them on dial up then changed to broadband, although they were not as reliable as I thought they would be, it very often took me ages to get logged on in the mornings.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the help, I used Orange this time as my friend has broadband with them and reckoned they were better than BT. I'll try contacting them and see what they can advise, I may try also going back on BT, I was with them on dial up then changed to broadband, although they were not as reliable as I thought they would be, it very often took me ages to get logged on in the mornings.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Concerning your Dial up connection most isp's will only give you 2 hours connection then by default they will cut you off depending on the amount of users online then you'll have to reconnect. Just on a personal note i think that ISP'S sabataged dial up customers accounts so that they would go over to BB cause they were fed up of being cut off all the time. Also to help you with this there is a setting in your dial up proerties that states disconnect if connection not needed change that option if you don't want your pc to cut you off after a certain amount of time

If your a sky TV customer you can get FREE broadband from sky there are other options if you want to pay but they provide the cheapest BB on the market today they will supply you with a free wireless modem router which is encrypted by default very easy to set up just wire up your modem put in the cd and follow instructions choose your connection type thats it your done no user name or password to input. Th sky BB package has been one of the easiest ones i have ever installed on someones system.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Concerning your Dial up connection most isp's will only give you 2 hours connection then by default they will cut you off depending on the amount of users online then you'll have to reconnect. Just on a personal note i think that ISP'S sabataged dial up customers accounts so that they would go over to BB cause they were fed up of being cut off all the time. Also to help you with this there is a setting in your dial up proerties that states disconnect if connection not needed change that option if you don't want your pc to cut you off after a certain amount of time

If your a sky TV customer you can get FREE broadband from sky there are other options if you want to pay but they provide the cheapest BB on the market today they will supply you with a free wireless modem router which is encrypted by default very easy to set up just wire up your modem put in the cd and follow instructions choose your connection type thats it your done no user name or password to input. Th sky BB package has been one of the easiest ones i have ever installed on someones system.
Thanks Leo, I had a chat with orange yesterday and it would appear all my settings are fine, they don't know why it would keep getting interrupted. Some times, like today, I can be online for about 10 mins and no probs, (at the moment). Other times I just log on and get disconnected immediately, then can't get back on. I think you could be right about the sabotage, it would make sense as after only a couple of weeks on dial up I can't wait to get back on broadband again.

I don't have Sky I'm afraid, certainly sounds a good package though.

Thanks again.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-02-2007, 04:53 PM
If your telephone line automatically withholds your number try putting 1470, in front of the dial-up number.