Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:06 AM

is anyone afraid

reason I am asking if the recent terrorist attacks has you afraid is that we have noticed at work that we are very busy at the moment mostly people are saying they are concerned about shopping in the city ( Portsmouth) as the city brings in many tourists this time of year at the naval attratctions.......I just wonderd how you all felt?

I must admit the thought of a train to Birmingham alone does worry me, infact OH has offerd to drive me if i want ........
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi Inca

Well no and yes.

Not afraid in the sense that I think about it all the time.. I take the danish tube (called Metro here) and a train to and from work every day, and I must say sometimes, it will give a little spark to a thought.. "what if..."

I really really would rather have a car, but then again that's not safe either.

I think we have to be very careful not to let fear control us.. Cos in the end, we wouldnt be able to leave our homes...

But yes, on occasion I do get scared.. Thinking of me flying over to UK... alone... not really a pleasant thing, and quite frankly I would rather not.. but I want to meet you guys..
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:25 AM
I think its only natural to be a little apprehensive.
However, what we need to do is try to keep things in proportion and actually assess the risk in a rational manner. Bit like being afraid of flying when the greater risk by far is driving to and from the airport.
The chances of anything happeneing to you or yours are absolutely tiny - doesn't mean it's not awful if/when it happens - much less than winning the lottery, and we all know how likely that is.
Goodness only knows what these criminals are actually trying to do (if, indeed they know) but you can be sure that if they manage to reduce us to a permanent state of fear, they will feel they are winning.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:30 AM
well i scared to get on a sub way in london, cause they dont have anyone checking people getting on there! same as i wouldnt travel on a bus in israel would i hell get on a subway in london!

Im lucky to live in somerset (god i cant believe those words came out of my mouth lol)

Im a bit scared then really!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I won't go into London for the time being.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I feel more angry about the fact that 'people' have made me fear visiting London(which I love) My sister and I have a visit planned todo research for our family tree in Greenwich, but I wonder if we will go, which I know may sound silly but I guess that may go in time, things are still very raw still at the moment.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:47 AM
I know how you feel, Sweep and I don't think it sounds silly. I am angry too. I'm just not prepared to take the risk at the moment, what with bombings, shootings and general disruption. I'm lucky I don't have to go there, lots of people do for their work and if I did, I'd have to just get on with it.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Exactly - at least I have the choice(sort of) as to whether to travel there or not but having a job/living there etc musy be a nightmare at the mo.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2005, 08:51 AM
The question does not really arise on a personal level, I hate cities and seldom go to any, I would not go to London if you paid me and that applied even before the bomings.
I fear not for myself but for those I love
... and a future made uncertain and dangerous for them by the foolish acts of my generation ....
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 08:58 AM
I wouldnt go anywhere like Birmingham, Wolverhampton or London in a hurry im happy as they are not near me. I definately am not going on a train anywhere near any of these places in the near future either. I feel safe at home as im not near a big city.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >