Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 05:24 PM

How long after losing a dog?

How long after losing a dog would you get another?
we got Tyler 5 weeks after losing our previous dog,although we had arranged to view the litter prior to losing him.
We were devastated and had some flack about getting another so soon.

As soon as we brought him home we knew we had made the right decision,he really helped us deal with the pain we felt,and brought a smile back to our kids faces.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I think it depends. When I lost my first dog I was on the phone to the breeder telling her she'd died and asking whether she has puppies. That was the day she died. When Tala died it took me months before I could face getting another poodle.
Becky
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
the first dog we lost was storm, a dobe. the house was so empty without him it was unbearable.
we were lucky to get another dobe puppy the following week and it helped fill the void. we have lost 4 dogs over the years, and each time we've always brought a new addition into the family.
i've found it's dreadfull if you only have one dog and lose it. two years ago we lost old KUJO, i could see it coming for months, as she was 14yrs old. so 3 months before she died, we were fortunate enough to get nero and caesar.
it was still dreadfull when we lost the old girl, but having 2 puppies already in the house helped us a lot to get over the loss. i've had dogs all my life, and could'nt bear to be without such faithfull companions.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I dont think you can say until you have lost the dog, When we found out Storm was ill I always said I would get one asap after he went, yet when he did go I did not want another, its only talking with friends and family that I decided on Skye. She was infact born 1day before storm died.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
When we lost our white shepherd suddenly we were left with only Nala, the only time in all of our married life that we had only one dog.

I could not face getting another one until at least 18 months later.

When Nala reached 10 years old, and being a bit doddery, I was determined not to let Willow be an only dog as she is very social and I work full time so we got Meeka. Storm followed 2 months later.

That was 2 years ago and Nala is still going strong

I don't think that there is a set time, just whatever is right for you.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
When my first dog (Max) died (he was 14 years old), I was totally distraught and couldn't even imagine ever owning another dog, as no dog could ever compare to him (yes it was that bad ) Talk of other peoples dogs sent me to tears and the wobbly chin, and I was guilty ridden for what seemed like forever (having him eventually pts).

We fostered another dog 18 months later, but I couldnt bear it, so that didn't last long.

We then waited a further 2 years, before I could even talk to another dog without crying.

Eventually, we rescued a dog, and it began again from there. So all in all it was roughly 3 1/2 years.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2007, 08:14 PM
My old Tawney died on the Monday and I got Cariad on the following Saturday. I had already arranged to have Cariad as I knew that after a few strokes Tawney was on borrowed time, however she died a few days before I collected Cariad. Those days were absolutely dreadful, the house was so empty, I went for Cariad on the Saturday and came home with her sister, Maelona, as well. I had always had 2 or 3 dogs and had been looking for another pup of Tawney's breeding for a while but not been able to find one. Then Tawney had a couple of strokes, and I heard about the litter, saw them and fell in love with Cariad. When Maelona was brought out I fell in love all over again, so had 2 little norties instead of one!
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2007, 11:39 PM
I am sooooo missing Meg I would love a new dog but dont know if i should..my dogs work with me and she was so good would i ever find one who could be as good as her I realy wish some one would tell me when would be the right time I dont wat to replace her as I never could..She was a Rottie x Staff and i think that was a brilliant mix but the chaanses of gettting a nother good one like her ..I love both of these breeds just wish some one would say to day is the day off you go cos I feel guilty even thinking about getting a nother dog right now..
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 06:25 AM
It varies from person to person and how they feel and as long as they are not trying to replace the dog they lost (as that would be impossible) then time doesn't matter.
I lost my last cavalier age 7 after already just losing one age 4years both to an awful disease and I was so devasted that I said although owning dogs for 30 years I would never have another.
But my house was like a morgue, so silent and empty without my special friends so a week later I went out and got Milo and a couple of months later got Shady.
They can never replace my babies I lost as they are individuals in thier own right and totally different personalities, but they mean as much and make my house feel alive again.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2007, 06:39 AM
I lost Max at 41/2 to cancer and waited nearly 31/2 years before another dog came into our life and we had to return her as she and I didn't gel I was then unsure about having another dog at all but eventually realised I did need a companion and got Ollie and am so pleased we did.
I felt with Max I couldn't go through the heartache I went through when he was and having to have him pts I know I will feel just as bad over Ollie when his time comes but at least I know now that you do start to feel better in time.
I think it is an individual thing my Sister has always gone straight out and got another dog because she cannot stand not to have a dog in the house.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >