Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 07:47 AM

Pedigree or non pedigree,what would you choose

I just wanted your views really,
I feel that when I buy a dog I like to Know its heritage,so I would never buy a pup from someone who couldnt prove this or that hadnt had both the parents health tested

If people haven't bothered registering there pups then there has to be a reason,even though health testing comes first usually if a pup isnt registered it isnt health tested either

This is my personal opinion and for this reason I would only buy a well breed pedigree pup

What are your views on this,pedigree or non pedigree
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I have pedigree dogs now, and have had them in the past, but one of my "best" dogs was a labrador cross from Battersea Dogs Home. He lived to be 17 and was the sweetest, smartest, most loving dog ever. He really gave me no bother at all. His name was Dillon and he was a little smasher
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 08:05 AM
I have nothing wrong with cross breeds,I owned one myself.
What I was trying to say was if you were to get a dog of a certain breed would you buy a Pedigree or is that not important,if you see what I mean
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Having had both pedigree's and non, neither of which had any health problems until old age I have no preference, I always thank god I never wasted money on pet insurance. I now just put a bit away each month for just incases.
Like Vicki I had a rescue dog and he was my best friend for 15 years.
Cayley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I have 3 pedigree cockers and a non pedigree BC, as much as I love Sammy and wouldn't change him ever I wouldn't buy a non pedigree again, I have no proof that he won't get any hereditary problems and I can't even say for certain that he's a BC.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
You can have a pedigree without the Kennel Club Papers, if you trust the breeder then they could of kept there own pedigree, just without the Kennel club logo. You also dont need KC papers to health test your dogs anyway. Look at L2 in staffords, they dont have to be KC reg to be tested. (Quinn next year will be having himself tested for L2 and will try for HC too, I dont want to breed him, would just like to know to be honest and Bessie also will be having the test, Borris is a cross breed so it wouldnt work)

Anyway Pedigrees are important, but the Kennel club is not the only way to have a trusted Pedigree, and OH SO MANY KC breeders hang papers, so really its all down to trusting the breeders!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 09:07 AM
i would go for a pedigree,i agree so many breeders when you call bout a pup say theres x many champs in pedigree it doesnt mean there health tested,eg i call bout a pup 3 year ago and the breeder was oh theres 34 champions in pedigree i go ok but are the parents health tested he goes why,so i start explaining and then i say if the parents arent then the pups arent and he goes its not upto me to do it,its up to you the new owners,well i go your the owners of the mam and dad and you aint bothered and without you the pups wouldnt be here so dont that make you responsible to get them done,and he was adamant all he was there for was to make money so why would he bother to vet check and heart test them oh god some ppl, i would go to a recommended breeder asking at the vets if they know of anyone,or the kc,i wouldnt but from just anyone and im suprised that people do.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Cayley View Post
I have 3 pedigree cockers and a non pedigree BC, as much as I love Sammy and wouldn't change him ever I wouldn't buy a non pedigree again, I have no proof that he won't get any hereditary problems and I can't even say for certain that he's a BC.
You don't have proof *with* pedigree that your dog will not have hereditary problems. All dogs can get ill. I know of a perfectly bred GSD, both lines with perfect hips etc long way back, yet she only has ONE good leg! No good hips and one elbow very bad too. There is never any guarantee.
I would never pay money for a pedigree dog with no papers. I will probably not buy from a good breeder again either, I will have rescue dogs instead, but I am not judging others who buy from reputable breeders, just my personal choice after seeing dogs wasting their lives in kennels.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Hayley - forgive my ignorance - but what does 'hang papers' mean?
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm not fussed either way. I doubt I'll show and I have no plans to breed so I'm not really bothered. I want an Akita because I love the breed and there are other breeds I like but I like cross breeds just as much. Before I came across Dogsey I didn't know a thing about dogs so whilst I now know about health tests and hip scoring etc, to me a dog is a dog.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »