Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2014, 06:59 AM

Mimi is going to Europe... please, wish me luck

Hello, everyone. You may remember Mimi that I adopted in July. She was rescued from the streets of Houston, TX. I forgot how to post a picture here - once I find out I'll post one. But you may not recognize her: her hair is grown and she gained 9 lbs, the little thief. Everything goes in her mouth, even cardboard.

Well, my 96-year-old father in Belgium has lost his partner of 25 years and has asked me to go and live with him for now. So in 2 weeks I'll be flying from Washington, DC to Brussels and Mimi will go in cargo as she is too big to be taken in cabin. I am really worried about this - with all the horror stories being told. And also the cold this time of year. So please, do say a prayer that she may be safe.

And until now I had another big worry. I have a 16-year-old cat, Sammy, that I didn't want to bring along because I thought it wasn't fair to put him through all this change. So I spent days alternating between "better for him to be dead" and "let's find a foster/boarding/new owner/someone who will give him a good and peaceful last years (months)". I couldn't find anyone. It was killing me. I've contacted dozens of places. Some do not take from individual persons, just shelters. Some have a long waiting list. Finally, tonight, I just couldn't take it anymore and ordered a cat carrier.

My father doesn't know I am bringing a cat too. Every time I spoke to him on the phone, I mentioned I didn't know what to do with Sammy, he just changed the conversation. My father has a little Shi-Tzu and he is worried that our two dogs won't get along. I think they will. It's up to us to make it work.

My father never had a cat in the house and I thought it wasn't fair to impose a cat on him on top of my dog. But sorry, Dad. If you want me to come and stay with you, my "family" is coming too.

Sammy is very quiet and sleeps a lot, so he'll be in my bedroom during the day as he is here. Poor Sammy. I am sorry to put him through this, but in the end, it's better than dumping him at the shelter, don't you think?

I just hope he won't holler the whole flight. He does cry a lot in the car going to the vet. Has any of you traveled with a cat? How did it go?

Thanks for reading this and letting me vent. It's been a rough couple of weeks. I would never have thought there were so many things to do: from finding a mail forwarding company to finding someone to take care of the yard (not done yet) to the vet visits for all the shots and microchipping and paperwork. Oh yes, and finding a rental car large enough for the crate to get from one airport to the other, and deciding where to leave my car for months. It is at times like this that I really feel the pinch of being stranded in a foreign country with no relatives to turn to for help. Tough!
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2014, 07:16 AM

Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Good luck Frenj.
Mimi looks adorable, such a sweet face. I'm sure you will all enjoy your adventure, even your Dad
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Good luck, I am sure you are doing the right thing for not only your Dad but your darling dog and cat too. It will work out for you I shall keep you in my prayers.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Wishing you,Mimi and Sammy all the very best.Love the pics Its a lovely thing you're doing for your dad,bless your heart.Good luck xx
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2014, 06:50 PM
If you can get hold of some gelsemium, it is homeopathic, that will help calm them without sedating like conventional medicine. Start it about five days before travel. Good luck. My daughter lives in the USA and loves it there.
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2014, 03:35 AM
Thank you all for the kind replies. I got Sammy booked today and waiting for a carrier and harness to arrive. I feel so much better now. The idea of "abandoning" him was killing me. You were a big help and support. Love you all.