Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Taciturn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 01:08 PM

I'd like to have nine dogs

Hi there,

In Sweden (where I live), you can have up to 9 adult dogs without any permit. I have a Shetland Sheepdog that is 1.5 years old now. Lately, I have been thinking of having many dogs. It seems exciting and fun, although I know it's very hard work. Of course, I won't get another 8 dogs right at the spot. I consider buying a dog when the newest dog is 2 years old. And if I find out I can't take care of more than, let's say, 4 dogs, I will not get another dog.

Anyone here who has the same dream?
And if you have some tips, please share.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I started off with 1 dog, a year later added another then a year later got 2 more in a short space of time. Then had a litter, kept 2 so that got me up to 6. Walking was just about do-able and I seriously considered a cement mixer to mix up the meat and biscuits. At one stage I had 15 dogs (but was a lot younger and fitter in those days).

Having a lot of dogs takes commitment to fit everything in and if 99.9% of the everyday care is left to one person (like me) it's damn hard work, when you get constant grotty weather you wonder why the heck you do it!

Anyway if you want to come over for a practise and give me a month off let me know!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Are you wanting to buy all dogs as puppies? If so, it's usually easier than integrating an adult into an adult dog home (not always though).

Make sure you research the breeds and temperaments you want very well to make sure it will be the right fit for your current dog(s). For example some breeds are prone to being SSA, so it would obviously not be a good idea to bring home a dog of that breed and gender. Of course there are some that are not and the best way of knowing would be to adopt an older dog that has proven to live in harmony with other dogs of the same sex.

Energy levels must match at least a little bit or have them in pairs according to energy level.

Think about the sizes of dogs you want. Some breeds have a very high prey drive and will not do well with small dogs.

There are so many things to consider. You need to think objectively and not impulsively as having so many dogs can lead to a disaster in between them or to yourself if not chosen right.

Keep in consideration that with having so many dogs, every time you add another to the home, pack dynamics change. Be prepared for that and make sure you learn each dogs body language to a tee. Also, remember that just because one dog did well with accepting another does not mean it will accept every single dog you decide to bring home and behaviours can change over time between the dogs.

For example 2 dogs could have gotten along famously but as they mature or pack dynamics change by an addition or subtraction of another dog or a any household change for that matter can alter everything and the 2 dogs could end up not liking each other resulting in a lot of fights and having to rotate the 2 to avoid having them together. I'm not trying to scare you, I love having a lot of dogs but it's something to be prepared for just in case. Better to be over prepared than under prepared. It's not always easy dealing with so many temperaments all at the same time 24-7.

There is so much to say about this subject so i'll add as I remember them.
Taciturn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Thank you, I am very grateful for your replies!

I want to buy them as puppies. All of them will be females. They will all be Golden Retrievers, I think. It's one of my favourite breeds and I have taken care of some Golden Retrievers, and I just love them so much!

Is walking nine dogs at one time too challenging for one person? Should I let some of the dogs stay at home and go for another walk with them later? Should I walk them individually sometimes?
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I have several friends who have 4 or more large or giant breed dogs. They ALL tell me that they only ever walk them in pairs, no more unless they have someone else with them. It depends where you are walking I suppose; how safe it is, how busy it is etc, but I used to regularly walk 3 dogs and there is always one out of your line of sight! I wouldn't do it again, its much more risky and difficult to control if their pack behaviour kicks in (eg, if one starts chasing something, they probably all will, and their arousal grows exponentially). I always said that 3 dogs was 9 times the trouble of one, so goodness knows what 9 dogs would feel like! Also, its really nice to walk my dogs separately or in pairs now as its a good way to bond with them individually.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Taciturn View Post
Hi there,

In Sweden (where I live), you can have up to 9 adult dogs without any permit. I have a Shetland Sheepdog that is 1.5 years old now. Lately, I have been thinking of having many dogs. It seems exciting and fun, although I know it's very hard work. Of course, I won't get another 8 dogs right at the spot. I consider buying a dog when the newest dog is 2 years old. And if I find out I can't take care of more than, let's say, 4 dogs, I will not get another dog.

Anyone here who has the same dream?
And if you have some tips, please share.
9 dogs?

is your occupation maybe daughter of very wealthy parents?
or are you going to marry a wealthy man?

as I just checked your profile, you are only 17 years old and a student?

and they should all be Golden Retrievers?
guess they eat a bit more than Chihuahuas
and not to forget the costs of the vet

I think having nine Golden Retrievers would be a full time job, so for to cope with them, you wont be able to go for work at all
so how would you get the money, you would need for them at all?

not to forget the time you need for to groom them all, to brush regulary their coats

maybe dreams are there for just to keep dreamt
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I have seven dogs .....it is a full on commitment , extremely time consuming, very expensive and very hard work.

I have my own paddock to excercise the dogs and they go out twice a day for a good run in two groups with 4 dogs in one group and 3 in the other as well as giving them individual training and exercise.

It costs around £120 per week to feed my lot and I spend around two hours every day on cleaning the house because of the mess they cause , we have kennels where they go if we are out and unable to supervise them , we have replaced all our carpets with slate or tiled flooring , have moved to the country where we have no neighbours and our social life and weekends revolve entirely around stuff to do with the dogs ......having so many dogs is not for the faint hearted !
Taciturn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
9 dogs?

is your occupation maybe daughter of very wealthy parents?
or are you going to marry a wealthy man?

as I just checked your profile, you are only 17 years old and a student?

and they should all be Golden Retrievers?
guess they eat a bit more than Chihuahuas
and not to forget the costs of the vet

I think having nine Golden Retrievers would be a full time job, so for to cope with them, you wont be able to go for work at all
so how would you get the money, you would need for them at all?

not to forget the time you need for to groom them all, to brush regulary their coats

maybe dreams are there for just to keep dreamt
My parents are not wealthy and I don't think I will ever marry someone. Yes, I am 17 years old and haven't finished school. I save money for this dog project and I plan to live quite frugally.

Golden Retriever is the right breed for me and I know they aren't very small dogs.
Taciturn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by greatbarnet View Post
I have several friends who have 4 or more large or giant breed dogs. They ALL tell me that they only ever walk them in pairs, no more unless they have someone else with them. It depends where you are walking I suppose; how safe it is, how busy it is etc, but I used to regularly walk 3 dogs and there is always one out of your line of sight! I wouldn't do it again, its much more risky and difficult to control if their pack behaviour kicks in (eg, if one starts chasing something, they probably all will, and their arousal grows exponentially). I always said that 3 dogs was 9 times the trouble of one, so goodness knows what 9 dogs would feel like! Also, its really nice to walk my dogs separately or in pairs now as its a good way to bond with them individually.
Okay. Thank you for this information. A lot of walks, so to speak.
Taciturn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
I have seven dogs .....it is a full on commitment , extremely time consuming, very expensive and very hard work.

I have my own paddock to excercise the dogs and they go out twice a day for a good run in two groups with 4 dogs in one group and 3 in the other as well as giving them individual training and exercise.

It costs around £120 per week to feed my lot and I spend around two hours every day on cleaning the house because of the mess they cause , we have kennels where they go if we are out and unable to supervise them , we have replaced all our carpets with slate or tiled flooring , have moved to the country where we have no neighbours and our social life and weekends revolve entirely around stuff to do with the dogs ......having so many dogs is not for the faint hearted !
Thank you for sharing.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »