Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Toy Recommendations

I've been having a hard time in finding a toy that Ivan likes. He's not that toy motivated when it comes to training but I would like to find him something for him to have while i'm taking care of my dogs. He's got a really sensitive stomach so giving too many bully sticks (and other similar things) upsets his stomach. I've even filled his kong with yummy things like peanut butter and yogurt but he's still not interested. He leaves it alone for days and eventually eats it, but it doesn't seem like it's worth much to Ivan.

Any suggestions?
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Maybe something that makes a noise?
All of mine have gone nuts for squeaky toys!
Not so great if anyone wants to relax though
I believe Kong makes some pretty tough squeakies

Or maybe one of those massive balls to push around in the garden. Boomer Balls i think they are called
lindaisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2013, 02:09 AM
My dog doesn't like yogurt....or peanut butter, try filling the kong with something your dog really likes......my girl loves fish paste.

Is your dog on kibble/dry food? Feeding balls/treat balls are brilliant, dog has to work for their meal, get some exercise and keeps them entertained for ages.

Find something your dog does and build on it.....my girl would pluck the little bows off my bras (this game got expensive )....so tied loads of little ribbon on a rope (made sure they were secure) kept her amused for ages.

There are some brilliant thinking games out there also....nina ottoson has some good ones.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I've been having a hard time in finding a toy that Ivan likes. He's not that toy motivated when it comes to training but I would like to find him something for him to have while i'm taking care of my dogs. He's got a really sensitive stomach so giving too many bully sticks (and other similar things) upsets his stomach. I've even filled his kong with yummy things like peanut butter and yogurt but he's still not interested. He leaves it alone for days and eventually eats it, but it doesn't seem like it's worth much to Ivan.

Any suggestions?
I've the same case here, just in a bit smaller version

just nothing can wake her interests, I already tried so many stuff, just wasted money!

the only toy she appreciates is myself
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 06:49 AM
A large squeaky ball, my dog can't have too many of those lying around, she's always picking one up somewhere lying around just to give it a mash, especially when I'm on the phone lol! Rod and back stem to mind though here, because of course, it's meeeee she wants to play with isn't it

She's never been one for toys either, a ball is her toy of choice (apart from myself), and her bone shaped Kong is always filled with low fat cheese which keeps her occupied for all of 3 mins!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2013, 06:50 AM
...or things of me, like socks

can't say how often I was already searching for one of my socks, when I wanna get dressed

she wont touch any toy, but it must be greatest fun to her, to rob and hide one of my socks or slipper, shoe and I can go searching for it! lol
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post

Any suggestions?
Hi my dog doesnt play just destroys,so I have found twothat she alsolikes to carry especially when there are visitors,one is the purple octopus kong, the other is a freezbe oh yes she adores socks but my OH complained crystalgirl
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 07:58 AM
I stuff old socks and sew up the end Mollie goes mad for them, also I make sock hand puppets which my husband plays games with them with, I would but it can get a bit painful at times !
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
A large squeaky ball, my dog can't have too many of those lying around, she's always picking one up somewhere lying around just to give it a mash, especially when I'm on the phone lol! Rod and back stem to mind though here, because of course, it's meeeee she wants to play with isn't it

She's never been one for toys either, a ball is her toy of choice (apart from myself), and her bone shaped Kong is always filled with low fat cheese which keeps her occupied for all of 3 mins!
Hey Helena, that's funny
my GSD was exactly the same!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Last night I gave Ivan so many different types of toys. I tried the squeaky toy, no interest and was kind of scared of it. Then Timber became obsessed with Ivan's squeaky and wouldn't stop staring at it so that's a no go.

I gave him an unstuffed animal, no interest. I gave him a pillow, no interest. I gave him an antler, no interest. I even gave him a piece of paper in hopes of him enjoying to rip it up to shreds, no interest either.

I've already given him kong balls, squishy balls, balls you could stuff things into, no interest. This sentence is so weird. I promise i'm not trying to be a pervert.

I don't feel comfortable giving Ivan any rope type toys or socks to play with unsupervised.

Ivan likes liver treats but I can't stuff a toy with too much or he gets the runs, too sensitive of a stomach. I haven't found anything else that he loves yet food wise. He is not very food motivated in terms of his kibble, so filling a toy with that will not keep his interest at all. He's a very picky dog with both food and toys. sigh.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >