Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Broadband - Help!

We want to go on broadband but I am unsure whether we will have to buy anything extra. We are on Wanadoo dial-up at the moment and would like to upgrade to Wandadoo wireless Broadband (because the laptap is already geared up for wireless internet and my daughter wants her computer upstairs on the net too (and I might not see her till Christmas then with any luck so it will be well worth it )

It says they provide the modem and two filters (although I don't know what filters are for ) and they are doing a special offer of Wireless internet free for 6 months for customers new to broadband and then it would be £4 a month extra after that on top of the £17.99 a month for broadband.

With wireless broadband how far can you take your computer and still get access to the internet?

If I do have wireless broadband will I have to buy anything extra or will Wanadoo provide everything that we need to set it up?

Also what is Ethernet because I think it mentioned something about this.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Mine is set up for wireless broadband but I had to buy a router and a pc card for my laptop as it was not set up for wireless. It cost about £100 to set up but I dont pay any extra a month for it.

I think I can go a few hundred yards away from the router with the laptop Ideal for taking outside and sitting in the sun.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Foxy I have Wannadoo BB..that came with a modem and two filter things that go by the phone connection box . I only use one filter..

so..phone cable/filter /double jack/ cable to PC..it works very well and comes with instructions and CD anyway no sure about the wireless bit
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi Foxy

I've just looked at the ethernet cable supplied with the ntl broadband package i signed up for (had to use white USB cable though) and it kinda looks like a conventional phone plug on both ends,but is blue.In theory,yours should have USB ports,phone socket and another (or two?) for ethernet connection.

I'd do what Carole did and buy a wireless router so you dont get any additional charges.The one my sister uses for her sons laptop and daughters desktop (both are hooked into her desktop downstairs) have good range of around 100yds through many brickwalls!!!

For a good deal-try www.ntlworld.com/broadband and see if cable is available in your area.I know other cable companies operate in parts of the UK like Telewest,so give them a try also.

I pay £9.99 per month for 1mb broadband which is £4 cheaper than i was paying for dial-up!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Be careful with your wireless though as anyone IT literate can pick up your signal and hack your connection, therefore, not paying for their usage, feeding off yours.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Be careful with your wireless though as anyone IT literate can pick up your signal and hack your connection, therefore, not paying for their usage, feeding off yours.

Ooh thats scary What can I do to stop them hacking then I have decided to go for Wanadoo broadband (just ordered it now ) but not their wireless connection. We are going to get a re-router thingy and do it that way like Carole suggested (thanks Carole )

I can't wait for the days when I won't have to dial up 5 or 6 times when I first come onto the internet
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Foxy I have Wannadoo BB..that came with a modem and two filter things that go by the phone connection box . I only use one filter..

so..phone cable/filter /double jack/ cable to PC..it works very well and comes with instructions and CD anyway no sure about the wireless bit

Thanks Mini I have just ordered Wanadoo Broadband for £17.99 a month - we are paying £14.99 a month now and are always getting cut off and its so annoying especially if you are in the middle of something

So in ten days time I should be on broadband - Yippeeeeee
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Hi Foxy

I've just looked at the ethernet cable supplied with the ntl broadband package i signed up for (had to use white USB cable though) and it kinda looks like a conventional phone plug on both ends,but is blue.In theory,yours should have USB ports,phone socket and another (or two?) for ethernet connection.

I'd do what Carole did and buy a wireless router so you dont get any additional charges.The one my sister uses for her sons laptop and daughters desktop (both are hooked into her desktop downstairs) have good range of around 100yds through many brickwalls!!!

For a good deal-try www.ntlworld.com/broadband and see if cable is available in your area.I know other cable companies operate in parts of the UK like Telewest,so give them a try also.

I pay £9.99 per month for 1mb broadband which is £4 cheaper than i was paying for dial-up!
Thanks Steve We have decided to stay with Wanadoo and upgrade to their broadband package. We are going to get the router so that we don't pay additional charges like you and Carole suggested
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Foxy, make sure the encryption is turned on. Should just be the matter of ticking a box. If someone else is installing it for you, mention the encryption. If you're doing it yourself and need more info, let me know and I'll get one of the lads at work to give me some more detail!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Foxy, make sure the encryption is turned on. Should just be the matter of ticking a box. If someone else is installing it for you, mention the encryption. If you're doing it yourself and need more info, let me know and I'll get one of the lads at work to give me some more detail!

Ooh thanks wufflehoond -but what and where is an encryption I think with wandaoo they just update the line and send you the modem and a cd to tell you how to do it I am so confused as to what we need to buy because we have got the main computer which is downstairs and is wired up for dial-up at the moment so that will be the one that broadband goes on. Then we have one in my daughters room which she is nagging me like mad to get the internet for (and it means I will see less of her and that can only be a good thing ) so I think we will need one of those wireless USB adaptors which I think plugs into her computer to make it wireless (is that right ) and a wireless router so that my laptop can be connected too (its already set up for wireless) Is there anything else that we need to connect the three computers to broadband?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >