View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
neotarrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Losing weight, how to gain weight advice please.

Roxy my 8 1/2 month old rottie has been losing weight over the last few weeks her appetite hasn't changed she still enjoys her 3 meals of wagg puppy with 2 cups of minced chicken mixed in. I wormed her last week and found nothing untoward there. Is there anything that you can suggest i try. Its taken me 2 months just to get her to eat all of her meals as she is my rescue rottie and i know very little about her background only that she was very badly beaten by her previous owners and ours is her 4th home in her short life.

All help and advice very gratefully received.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Aww bless her little heart.

If she isn't changing her eating habits, or exercising more I would perhaps pop her to the vet for a quick check up, just to be on the safe side. If they can't find anything wrong then I would increase her food a bit, she isn't going to put on weight with chicken, I would change her to tripe, the butchers tinned tripe is a real winner with my lot. Minced lamb is also god for putting on the weight as is is more fatty than chicken.

Probably a silly question but you are giving her larger meals as she is growing, rather than the smaller puppy size ones she was on as a baby puppy? I have known people to not realise that you must increase their meals as they grow so I don't mean any offence, it was just a thought.

Do let us know how she gets on, fingers crossed its nothing to worry about.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2007, 04:26 PM
If her appetite is normal,is eating regulary and has been wormed recently-i would make the vet first point of call for a full examination to make sure theres nothing wrong,but also ask them to test her tyhroid.An overactive thyroid makes a dog (or human for that matter!) loose weight and underactive makes them put weight on.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Well there could be a multitude of reasons why she's failing to gain weight. It could be anything from a Pancreatic deficiency/insufficiency to being a worrier who's metabolism burns off her weight too quickly.

Look at how much exercise she's getting etc and see if it's within ratio to how much shes being fed.

Does she have any anxiety issues due to her past etc ?

I would personally take her to the vet and rule out any intestinal problems first.
neotarrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2007, 04:33 PM
She was at the vets Friday and she couldn't find any unline reason for the weight lose, I've increase her meal size as she has grown but she just doesn't seem to put the weight on. She doesn't like tripe as this was the first thing i tried her on, it seems strange but she didn't like the smell of it she just turned her nose up and walked away from her bowl. Will give the minced lamb a try and see how she gets on with that.
Thank you for the advice scorpio
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by neotarrow View Post
She was at the vets Friday and she couldn't find any unline reason for the weight lose, I've increase her meal size as she has grown but she just doesn't seem to put the weight on. She doesn't like tripe as this was the first thing i tried her on, it seems strange but she didn't like the smell of it she just turned her nose up and walked away from her bowl. Will give the minced lamb a try and see how she gets on with that.
Thank you for the advice scorpio
You're very welcome, I'm pleased you have already tried the vets and it isn't anything that they could find. Some other things that I used to give one of my skinny setters (who has only just put weight on after being neutered at the age of 9), was suet mixed into his dinner, sponge cakes and pizza, things that we wouldn't normally give them as part of their diet, and all in moderation but it may help. I don't blame her for not liking tripe, mine will only eat it if I cook it (yuk) or the tinned one, they go mad for that.

Best of luck with her x
neotarrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2007, 04:40 PM
She seems a happy go lucky girl in herself and is very active (always on the go) i give her the same exercise i give my 7 1/2 month AB. 20 minutes walk in the morning the same at lunchtime and an hour in the evening. She is a really sweet little thing but I'm so worried about her weight lose I'm at my wits end
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by neotarrow View Post
She seems a happy go lucky girl in herself and is very active (always on the go) i give her the same exercise i give my 7 1/2 month AB. 20 minutes walk in the morning the same at lunchtime and an hour in the evening. She is a really sweet little thing but I'm so worried about her weight lose I'm at my wits end
I think that's the answer, "very active" she's burning all the calories up.
Some young dogs do go through a stage where you think they're not putting on weight,
but she'll come on fine.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
If your vet has given the all clear and she's healthy, she may just be a slender dog that burns weight off quickly as Nero says

You could give a recipe once a week called 'Satin Balls' which is not only very healthy, it's fattening and a treat for them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Neotarrow at 8 and a half months puppies can often go through the leggy stage and look quite skinny.

How many meals a day are you feeding, if there is no underlying medical problem you you could try feeding 3 meals a day for a little while. Sardines in olive oil are good for putting weight on,also porridge with an egg and some honey for breakfast