View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Didn't see this before! Puppies under a year old shouldn't be weaving, as the bending puts alot of strain on back and legs. You could do channel weaves, where there are 2 rows of poles that the dog goes between and these are slowly brought together until they are in a line like normal weave poles, but this should be done slowly and no bending until pup is a year old. I prefer not to do any agility with my pups until they are old enough to do all the equipment. There is still alot to teach them, a good play drive, heel on both sides, a solid sit wait and release, target training, direction commands.

As to a toy dog doing agility, yes, they have small agility classes for dogs under about 12 inches, some of the really tiny dogs have trouble tipping the seesaw and have to be trained to go right to the end for the tip. There are quite a few clubs in Kent and it is worth putting your name down now as most agility clubs have a long waiting list, look at www.agilitynet.com Clubs A-Z for a club near you.

It is best to go to a club to learn the equipment safely, especially if you've never done it before.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I have been doing weave poles with him but they aren't set at dog width apart, but more of a horse width apart using electric fence posts. so he isn't actually weaving as such, just walking in between them and learning to follow my hand and stay to heel.
I did a few agility classes with my border collie when she was younger and will be looking to take cooper to classes when he is older, but for now we are happy practicing in the garden.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2