Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Wide awake tortoiseshell butterfly

A tortoiseshell butterfly has been flying round my hall - is there anything I should do to help it?

I've just had a quick google and seen a suggestion that I should put it in the fridge for half an hour to render it inactive and then put it somewhere like a shed. I'm happy to do that if it is the right thing to do, but it seems a bit cruel!

One appeared a few years ago, but before I had time to find out what to do the cocker spaniel ate it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Taken from a butterfly site:
QUOTE "Such species tend to look for sheltered areas in which to hibernate, which is why they are sometimes seen in houses and garages. However, an unnaturally warm environment, such as a house that is centrally heated, can be quite detrimental since the butterfly will become active and use up the essential body fats that will see it through the winter. " The best thing to do is to be "cruel to be kind". One option is to place the butterfly in a cold and dark environment and out of the way of predators, such as in a log pile, an outhouse, or a hollow tree. Alternatively, on the next sunny day that is sufficiently warm, release the individual outside so that it can find a more suitable location in which to hibernate itself. unquote

Don't think the fridge idea is a good one really Good luck!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Taken from a butterfly site:
QUOTE "Such species tend to look for sheltered areas in which to hibernate, which is why they are sometimes seen in houses and garages. However, an unnaturally warm environment, such as a house that is centrally heated, can be quite detrimental since the butterfly will become active and use up the essential body fats that will see it through the winter. " The best thing to do is to be "cruel to be kind". One option is to place the butterfly in a cold and dark environment and out of the way of predators, such as in a log pile, an outhouse, or a hollow tree. Alternatively, on the next sunny day that is sufficiently warm, release the individual outside so that it can find a more suitable location in which to hibernate itself. unquote

Don't think the fridge idea is a good one really Good luck!
A loft would be good too...

I had ladybirds around a couple of weeks ago I put them in the loft.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks Helena - that seems to make sense. I've turned the lights off in the hall so at least it's not flying around at the moment, and in the morning I'll catch it before the heating comes on and put it in the shed. I don't think I'll follow the suggestion of waiting for the next sunny day - I might have rather a long wait!

Unfortunately access to our loft is very difficult and only accessible to very slim gymnasts, so it will have to be the shed! I hope the ladybirds make it through the winter!