Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Catrin how old is Remus now, have you changed anything recently like the food, is he drinking more?

Good luck getting the sample, it's aways fun
Hi, he's about 8- 10 months, which is why I thought it might be pain from teething relates as his big back teeth have started to come through, not too sure. Nothing else has changed really. I don't think he's drinking anymore but with two its hard to tell isn't it.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Sorry to hear this - I hope everything is ok.

Could well be that it hurts when he pees which is why he's been avoiding it. Dogs are so stoic aren't they.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Sorry to hear this - I hope everything is ok.

Could well be that it hurts when he pees which is why he's been avoiding it. Dogs are so stoic aren't they.
I was wondering that too although Remus is far from stoic and only has to sit with his tail slightly askew for him to wail like a baby. Lol. It's a lurcher thing I think, the vet had to stop mid innoculations because he as flailing around so much.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Aw poor Remus ..... I hope you get him sorted quickly.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Hi, he's about 8- 10 months, which is why I thought it might be pain from teething relates as his big back teeth have started to come through, not too sure. Nothing else has changed really. I don't think he's drinking anymore but with two its hard to tell isn't it.
Hi Catrin Remus has reached adolescents which brings a hormone surge and occasional this can affect their house training.

The first thing I would do is to eliminate a medical cause which you are doing, then look for any changes which could be the cause eg someone leaving the home/a new fear/change of food/medication.

After that it is back to basic puppy training eg taking Remus out at regular intervals at times when he will most likely want to go out and giving him lots of praise when he obliges.
Taking a dog to a place frequented by other dogs helps to stimulate them to 'go' .
Lastly thorough cleaning of previously soiled areas with a none ammonia based cleaner to remove every trace of the scent of urine to help prevent repeat soiling.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2013, 06:00 PM
So sorry. Hope everything is ok. He seems a real character. Sorry about the futon. My Meg lived in kennels until we got her 10 weeks ago. She wees and poos anywhere. Every carpet needs replacing. We will get there though ..... although we don't have visitors any more!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Poor chap, and poor you! I hope that the vet rules out anything major, and you can get down to sorting things out in the normal way.

Getting a wee sample can cause hilarity, and some very strange looks from passers by When I had to do it for Jimmi a while back now, he became paranoid about having a wee in case his mad mum suddenly swooped with a plastic container!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Catrin Remus has reached adolescents which brings a hormone surge and occasional this can affect their house training.

The first thing I would do is to eliminate a medical cause which you are doing, then look for any changes which could be the cause eg someone leaving the home/a new fear/change of food/medication.

After that it is back to basic puppy training eg taking Remus out at regular intervals at times when he will most likely want to go out and giving him lots of praise when he obliges.
Taking a dog to a place frequented by other dogs helps to stimulate them to 'go' .
Lastly thorough cleaning of previously soiled areas with a none ammonia based cleaner to remove every trace of the scent of urine to help prevent repeat soiling.
See this is why I'm thinking medical or hormonal as I'm doing all the usual toilet training stuff. I wait at the back door when I put him out and if he seems reluctant to go I go with him, tell him to go, ignore him and then give loads if praise one he's finished. He gets praised on walks for going and then straight out in the garden to go again after walks as the adrenaline of post walk seems to make him want to go as soon as we are home too. I wash any accidents up with biological washing liquid. He goes for wee after waking, food, play, excitement of visitors, and every two hours...but he's definitely seeming reluctant to go...which I was putting down to the weather or general teenagerness. but the weeing while lying down is an odd one. I'm going to get vet to see what teeth are coming though in case it's pain from teeth distracting him, he's certainly chewing a lot! He's only ever left for a couple of hours but there has started to be puddles even if he's been just before I've left.
Originally Posted by Megsy View Post
So sorry. Hope everything is ok. He seems a real character. Sorry about the futon. My Meg lived in kennels until we got her 10 weeks ago. She wees and poos anywhere. Every carpet needs replacing. We will get there though ..... although we don't have visitors any more!
He did have a bad start in life too, abandoned in a caravan so I don't suppose it was that clean. Poor pups.
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Poor chap, and poor you! I hope that the vet rules out anything major, and you can get down to sorting things out in the normal way.

Getting a wee sample can cause hilarity, and some very strange looks from passers by When I had to do it for Jimmi a while back now, he became paranoid about having a wee in case his mad mum suddenly swooped with a plastic container!!
I'm not looking forward to the wee sample. I'm hoping it will be easier with him than it is getting it from Tonks. At least there's a lot of room between where the wee is coming from and the ground....unlike Tonks!
Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Aww poor Remus. I hope you manage to get him sorted quickly and it's nothing that you need to worry about.

These dogs are such a worry sometimes
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Firstly, I hope Remus gets on ok at the vet tomorrow. Fingers crossed its just something simple.
With regards your futon mattress, have you considered getting a professional in to clean it for you?
My mum was only telling me last week that she'd had some very elderly visitors and sadly one of them was incontinent and made a mess on one of mums new sofa cushions
She contacted a professional upholstery cleaner who came to take a look and ended up doing a great job. I think it cost around £45 but at least she saved her cushion. Perhaps it's something you might consider? It might be cheaper than dumping the mattress..... Good luck

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >