View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lb22sjc
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2013, 05:17 AM

Puppy just got spayed and have a question!!!

Hello!

I have a 7 month old chihuahua/rat terrier mixed puppy. We got her spayed this past Thursday June 6th. We brought her home that same evening along with pain medication for her and the e-collar. The first 2 days, she seemed completely out of it cause I didn't want her pain meds to wear off. Today, she seemed like she was becoming her "old self" again. Her incision looks good. It is a little tough to the touch but is healing nicely. She really isn't drinking a lot but does drink some throughout the day. I'm contributing it to her wearing the e-collar.

My question: How long does it take for the incision itself to heal?? When will she be completely back to normal?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Wee tip about the drinking. Mine wouldn't drink with the collar on either.I just held a small bowl under her chin,just resting on the collar.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 08:53 AM
What is this e-collar? I thought of electric shock collar but am sure it isn't that.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Was just thinking back to when mine got spayed. The vet told me she' d probably be bouncing about the next day, but she really took about 5 days to be herself again. She rested a lot which was good,but of course i got worried and gave the vet a call. Said it was fine, all dogs are different some take a little more time to recover.Healing time was 10 days.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
What is this e-collar? I thought of electric shock collar but am sure it isn't that.
I thought that too, it's Elizabethen Collar, after Queen Elizabeth!!!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Was just thinking back to when mine got spayed. The vet told me she' d probably be bouncing about the next day, but she really took about 5 days to be herself again. She rested a lot which was good,but of course i got worried and gave the vet a call. Said it was fine, all dogs are different some take a little more time to recover.Healing time was 10 days.
I am tempted to say you were lucky Mollie reacted badly to the meds and was like a lunatic the first 3 days only really started to calm down after the meds were out of her system. She came to so quickly and was so active they called me 30 minutes after she woke up to come and get her she was wrecking the place !
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I am tempted to say you were lucky Mollie reacted badly to the meds and was like a lunatic the first 3 days only really started to calm down after the meds were out of her system. She came to so quickly and was so active they called me 30 minutes after she woke up to come and get her she was wrecking the place !
Oh, made her hyper!!I was surprised at Lacey's recovery,certainly did take her a while,but got there in the end
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Maybe it is different here but neither Little One nor Pereg came home with pain pills after having been spayed. They were both spayed [different years, of course] at about 9am and brought home in the afternoon. And both slept for the first night on my slippers at the side of the bed - the second night up on the bed as usual.

Little One ignored her stitches but Pereg was far too interested in them so she had to wear the collar of shame, but neither had, nor seemed to need, any pain-killer meds and both were just about back to normal once they were home.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I only have one spayed female and she came out of the vets at the speed of light, jumped into the boot before I had the chance to lift her and continued as though no surgery had taken place. I removed the collar at every opportunity as that seemed to bother her more than her wound. I put a huge t-shirt on her knotted at the sides to keep it snug. Which the other dogs spent the entire time trying to get it off of her. They are supposed to have on lead walks only for about a month because although the wound may have healed internally takes a bit longer.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
I thought that too, it's Elizabethen Collar, after Queen Elizabeth!!!
Oh! right! The collar of shame to stop them picking at wounds?

I didn't have to have that for either of my dogs. And in the case of Bella they bandaged her tummy quite tight, saying it reduces chances of swelling and keeps wound clean too. She did look quite pathetic!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >